Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


DPI - Change for Modern UI in Windows 8

  1. #10


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind.

    There are already 4 rows here so I think I'm good.
    Bigger tiles don't interest me for now, but maybe I'll see how it looks in Fisher-Price mode.

    Quote Originally Posted by thatmanbrian View Post
    Great tweak, thanks. After experimenting I set a value of 45 for my 23" screen and now the 'metro' tiles are far less clunky. It looks less like a Fisher-Price toy screen now! Incidentally I didn't have the scaling key so wonder why not?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #11


    Posts : 4
    windows8


    Guys I've been trying to get four rows of tiles, I changed the scaling to 12.1, 13, 15.4, 19 but nothing happened. I edited the registers like Layout_MaximumRowCount etc but the rows are still three. I've got an Acer Iconia W510 (screen res 1366x768, 10.5''). maybe the problem is the touch screen? is there any other register that I've got to change?
    I won't surrender. Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by leorockmdi View Post
    Guys I've been trying to get four rows of tiles, I changed the scaling to 12.1, 13, 15.4, 19 but nothing happened. I edited the registers like Layout_MaximumRowCount etc but the rows are still three. I've got an Acer Iconia W510 (screen res 1366x768, 10.5''). maybe the problem is the touch screen? is there any other register that I've got to change?
    I won't surrender. Thanks
    Have you tried tweaking these settings:
    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

    Some Panels especially tablets have the Global DPI (Tutorial above) being set to high settings.
    Notable cases: DPI being set to 125% out-of-the-box in Surface Pro.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #13


    Posts : 4
    windows8


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post

    Have you tried tweaking these settings:
    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

    Some Panels especially tablets have the Global DPI (Tutorial above) being set to high settings.
    Notable cases: DPI being set to 125% out-of-the-box in Surface Pro.
    I don't have that option. It's dimmed and it says "Your display doesn't support this setting."
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by leorockmdi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post

    Have you tried tweaking these settings:
    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

    Some Panels especially tablets have the Global DPI (Tutorial above) being set to high settings.
    Notable cases: DPI being set to 125% out-of-the-box in Surface Pro.
    I don't have that option. It's dimmed and it says "Your display doesn't support this setting."
    Hmm, have you tried option two on this tutorial:
    Start Screen - Metro Apps - Change Number of Rows in Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #15


    Posts : 4
    windows8


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post

    Hmm, have you tried option two on this tutorial:
    Start Screen - Metro Apps - Change Number of Rows in Windows 8
    yep, didn't work. It says "maximum 3". and also option three didn't work, as I said...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by leorockmdi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post

    Hmm, have you tried option two on this tutorial:
    Start Screen - Metro Apps - Change Number of Rows in Windows 8
    yep, didn't work. It says "maximum 3". and also option three didn't work, as I said...
    hmm, that's odd, it shouldn't be like that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #17


    Posts : 4
    windows8


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    hmm, that's odd, it shouldn't be like that.
    I know!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #18


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8 Pro


    Thank you so much! The problem I was experiencing was a weird, large on screen virtual keyboard in portrait mode on my Lenovo X230 Tablet. This registry fixed the issue for me.
    I'm a happy man.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #19


    is there a similar registry setting for application text size? for example the menu text in photoshop cs6 is absolutely tiny on my large display (2560x1440) - screen resolution > make text and other items larger or smaller does not solve the issue nor does photoshop's text setting (small, medium, large) feature. thankfully most applications i use show very well on my display, the text is very legible and icons are very recognizable, but photoshop and a few others fail miserably, the text is just too small.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
DPI - Change for Modern UI in Windows 8
Related Threads
Source: Skype for Modern Windows 2.8: Getting Easier to Use ? - Skype Blogs
Windows 8.1 modern app crashes in Software and Apps
Hi all I'm new here so this will be my first thread. I've got some problems with a couple modern apps like the music app and video app. When I start one of these two the app crashes. Also there are some apps I want to use too like Clouder! and Tunein radio. when I start those apps it opens but I...
Hi All Updated to 8.1 update 1 2 weeks ago via Windows update, only problem I have is with 1 modern app, that crashes a lot now, otherwise everything else is fine, app is called Megatube, Antivirus Avast Antivirus 9.0.2016, Maybe I shouldn't have updated early to 8.1 update 1 lol, but don't...
Source A Guy
How to Change Zoom Level in Modern IE10 and IE11 in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to change the zoom level to enlarge or reduce the view of a webpage in modern IE10 and IE11 from 50% to 400% in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1. The default zoom...
Windows 8 Bypass Modern UI in Customization
Source A Guy
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook