Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

  1. #610


    Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home (64-bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    For instance, my computer came with Windows 8 Home X64. I upgraded to Pro then 8.1 Pro then10 Pro. The factory recovery partition would be useless to me as I would never want to go back to 8 Home so I deleted it and all partitions on my boot drive and did a clean install of 8.1 Pro.
    .
    I have also upgraded to Windows 10 Home from a downloaded ISO file on a DVD. It is version 10.0.10240. I have extracted the Product Key using Magical Jelly Bean & notice that it is different from the OEM key which it was showing while using Windows 8 & 8.1. Can I use this Product Key for a Clean Install of Windows 10, if required later?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #611


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Layman,

    Sorry, but no. You do not get or can use a product key for the free Windows 10 offer.

    The free upgrade Windows 10 offer requires that you upgrade from an activated Windows 7 or 8.1 PC first. This registers the Windows 10 activation of Windows 10 on Microsoft's activation servers.

    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

    Afterwards, you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10 on that same PC anytime in the future without entering a key ("skip" during installation), and have it activated when finished.

    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #612


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by layman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    For instance, my computer came with Windows 8 Home X64. I upgraded to Pro then 8.1 Pro then10 Pro. The factory recovery partition would be useless to me as I would never want to go back to 8 Home so I deleted it and all partitions on my boot drive and did a clean install of 8.1 Pro.
    .
    I have also upgraded to Windows 10 Home from a downloaded ISO file on a DVD. It is version 10.0.10240. I have extracted the Product Key using Magical Jelly Bean & notice that it is different from the OEM key which it was showing while using Windows 8 & 8.1. Can I use this Product Key for a Clean Install of Windows 10, if required later?
    You can use that key on a Clean install on that same PC that you have already done the free upgrade on. You don't have too, you can just skip when asked for one. Entering it or not entering it won't make any difference. If you already did the free upgrade and activated Windows 10 on that PC it will activate on a clean install. If you try to use that same product code and clean install on a PC that never had Windows 10 activated on it, it will fail activation. I enter the product code automatically with a PID.txt file to save having to do the skip. You have to click skip at least twice during the install. It might even be 3 times.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #613


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    I used option 1, and it never created a Download folder. Maybe there was an update to mediacreationtool.exe
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #614


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Joostin,

    Usually if you download an ISO using OPTION ONE, it'll save the ISO file to the location shown in your screenshot like under step 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #615


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Joostin,

    Usually if you download an ISO using OPTION ONE, it'll save the ISO file to the location shown in your screenshot like under step 7.
    I was referring to the warning:
    When you run the mediacreationtool.exe file below it will permanently delete any folder named Download and it's contents that's in the same folder as the mediacreationtool.exe file.

    If you have a folder named Download in the same folder (ex: on desktop), then you will need to rename it before running the mediacreationtool.exe file to avoid it and it's contents from being permanently deleted.
    Now I realize it doesn't mention anything about creating a new folder named Download after deleting the old one (I'm running on fumes), but because I misread it, I thought it was worth mentioning. It's strange that it would delete a folder even though it doesn't use it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #616


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    It does actually create a hidden "Download" folder at the same location the mediacreationtool.exe file is at if one doesn't already exist, and is used as a working folder until finished. When the download is complete, the tool automatically deletes the "Download" folder as part of cleaning up after itself. This of course would be an issue if you just happen to already have a "Download" folder at the same location.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #617


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    It does actually create a hidden "Download" folder at the same location the mediacreationtool.exe file is at if one doesn't already exist, and is used as a working folder until finished. When the download is complete, the tool automatically deletes the "Download" folder as part of cleaning up after itself. This of course would be an issue if you just happen to already have a "Download" folder at the same location.
    It doesn't. I'm running it right now. I disabled both hidden file options, and nothing is there. Just for good measure, I tried accessing it through command line, and it doesn't exist.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #618


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    I just tested again, and the tool doesn't create a Download folder, but only deletes it (if there) when you run the tool.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #619


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    I just tested again, and the tool doesn't create a Download folder, but only deletes it (if there) when you run the tool.
    Sounds like they forgot to remove a few lines of code after updating it. That's a bummer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create
Related Threads
I have a laptop that the password will not work. It worked one time and I got in. This thing is wacked. Has 4 optimizer programs and other junk. Now I can't get in. I was thinking if I downloaded 8 iso from here How to Create or Download a Windows 8 and 8.1 ISO using option 1 could I use it to...
How to Add a "Windows Defender" Cascading Desktop Context Menu in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to add or remove a cascading (expandable) Windows Defender menu to the desktop context menu for all users in Windows 8 and 8.1 to be able to quickly open Windows Defender to...
Hello again to all. Can anyone please explain because this a little bit confuses me, CREATING a SYSTEM IMAGE, now that I have a DUAL BOOT win7-win8 OS. >>I want to know if I CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 7 (my default OS), and then later, if ever I RESTORE THIS CREATED SYSTEM IMAGE, will the...
Solved Create DVD from upgrade download in Installation & Setup
How do I create a DVD using the download from the Windows 8 upgrade? I just purchased the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (24.99 in the UK), downloaded and installed Windows 8 over an old XP system I had put on a spare disk drive on my system. The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant did this for me. My...
Read more at source: Windows Intune users: Final Windows 8 bits are available for download | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook