Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

  1. #530


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I'm not sure if this helps or not, it just confused me but anyway have a look, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #531


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    If I remember correctly that program downloads a group of files to an ESD directory in the C:\ directory and then converts it to an ISO and stores the ISO in the directory you choose and then deletes the files in the ESD directory. I think W10 also stores updates to the TP version in the same ESD directory. Maybe this causes a conflict.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #532


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I'm not sure if this helps or not, it just confused me but anyway have a look, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
    I don't understand it either but I do think that you're right to spot the thing about reparse points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgurne View Post
    Now a window open where I can select where to save windows.iso. I have tried severel destinations like, Downloads, C:\, D:\
    and after selecting a destination, I click on Save.

    What am I doing wrong?? As written I have tried severel different locations, but with no sucess.
    I wouldn't try root folders like c:\ or d:\. Have you tried making a folder which is one level down from the root folders (like d:\temp) and using that?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #533


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I'm not sure if this helps or not, it just confused me but anyway have a look, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
    I don't understand it either but I do think that you're right to spot the thing about reparse points.
    That's the error message in the screen shot. Looking at what else has been posted I'm thinking its a problem with the ESD folder, not the final location when the ISO is stored. It's erroring during the files download not the creation of the ISO. That's what it looks like to me anyway.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #534


    Penn's Forest
    Posts : 216
    Win8.1 Pro | Win10TP Pro - boot to VHD


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I'm not sure if this helps or not, it just confused me but anyway have a look, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
    I don't understand it either but I do think that you're right to spot the thing about reparse points.
    That's the error message in the screen shot. Looking at what else has been posted I'm thinking its a problem with the ESD folder, not the final location when the ISO is stored. It's erroring during the files download not the creation of the ISO. That's what it looks like to me anyway.
    Launch an elevated Command Prompt and type

    c:
    cd \
    dir /aL /s > c:\ReparseList.txt
    exit

    c:\ReparseList.txt will show all of the reparse points on the c: drive


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    If I remember correctly that program downloads a group of files to an ESD directory in the C:\ directory and then converts it to an ISO and stores the ISO in the directory you choose and then deletes the files in the ESD directory. I think W10 also stores updates to the TP version in the same ESD directory. Maybe this causes a conflict.

    Jim
    There's a file in the ESD folder that controls updates. I no longer have it on my system, so if you could post the contents, that would refresh my memory. If that file is renamed for the Media Creation Tool (renamed back afterwards for Win10 processing) you might have better luck - not sure.

    I also wonder if the Danish language is causing an issue on Win10.
    Indiser Hub-Win10
    We’ve added the following languages:
    •Japanese
    •Russian
    •German
    •French
    •French (Canada)
    •Korean
    •Italian
    •Spanish
    •Spanish (Latin America)
    •Traditional Chinese
    •Swedish
    •Finnish
    •Turkish
    •Arabic
    •Dutch
    •Czech
    •Polish
    •Thai
    •Vietnamese (Language Interface Pack)
    •Catalan (Language Interface Pack)
    •Hindi (Language Interface Pack)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #535


    Greece
    Posts : 341
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player


    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    #bubblebobble. I recently downloaded the first option for the W8.1 ISO shown at:

    Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

    I have since installed it on 2 PCs using my W8 and W8.1 OEM disks purchased from a retail shop. It does contain the KB3000850 update, but loaded and activated OK. Have since downloaded and installed all other W8.1 updates with no problems.
    Strange. I used this same link to create my media and it DIDN'T include the KB3000850 update.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #536


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by SaggyMaggyPoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    #bubblebobble. I recently downloaded the first option for the W8.1 ISO shown at:

    Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

    I have since installed it on 2 PCs using my W8 and W8.1 OEM disks purchased from a retail shop. It does contain the KB3000850 update, but loaded and activated OK. Have since downloaded and installed all other W8.1 updates with no problems.
    Strange. I used this same link to create my media and it DIDN'T include the KB3000850 update.
    I find his statements confusing? He mentions that download but then states he used "OEM disks purchased from a retail shop" to do the install? Unless he means the product codes for those disks? I can't make any sense out of what was stated?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #537


    Greece
    Posts : 341
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post

    I find his statements confusing? He mentions that download but then states he used "OEM disks purchased from a retail shop" to do the install? Unless he means the product codes for those disks? I can't make any sense out of what was stated?
    Me too. I wasn't sure if 'It does contain the KB... update' might be an error (should say 'doesn't'?), which is why I replied.

    I have actually seen OEM disks advertised for sale on a UK website. But why would you want both 8.1 disks and the .iso unless - as you suggest - you needed a key from somewhere?

    Just goes to show that no two experiences are the same.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #538


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by SaggyMaggyPoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post

    I find his statements confusing? He mentions that download but then states he used "OEM disks purchased from a retail shop" to do the install? Unless he means the product codes for those disks? I can't make any sense out of what was stated?
    Me too. I wasn't sure if 'It does contain the KB... update' might be an error (should say 'doesn't'?), which is why I replied.

    I have actually seen OEM disks advertised for sale on a UK website. But why would you want both 8.1 disks and the .iso unless - as you suggest - you needed a key from somewhere?

    Just goes to show that no two experiences are the same.
    It may be that he bought Windows 8 and then Windows 8.1, codes and Disk's. But now wants an ISO that is more up to date, one that includes updates not on the DVD's he has now. Or that the 8.1 disk he bought does include the latest update where as the downloaded ISO doesn't? Like I said as stated by him it's confusing. Have to see if he replies again with a better info.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #539


    I'm not sure if this has been reported before but the Mediacreationtool now has the November updated downloads...

    From Product.xml:
    +<PublishedMedia release="Windows Blue November RTM Slipstream" id="472">

    FWIW....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create
Related Threads
I have a laptop that the password will not work. It worked one time and I got in. This thing is wacked. Has 4 optimizer programs and other junk. Now I can't get in. I was thinking if I downloaded 8 iso from here How to Create or Download a Windows 8 and 8.1 ISO using option 1 could I use it to...
How to Add a "Windows Defender" Cascading Desktop Context Menu in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to add or remove a cascading (expandable) Windows Defender menu to the desktop context menu for all users in Windows 8 and 8.1 to be able to quickly open Windows Defender to...
Hello again to all. Can anyone please explain because this a little bit confuses me, CREATING a SYSTEM IMAGE, now that I have a DUAL BOOT win7-win8 OS. >>I want to know if I CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 7 (my default OS), and then later, if ever I RESTORE THIS CREATED SYSTEM IMAGE, will the...
Solved Create DVD from upgrade download in Installation & Setup
How do I create a DVD using the download from the Windows 8 upgrade? I just purchased the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (Ł24.99 in the UK), downloaded and installed Windows 8 over an old XP system I had put on a spare disk drive on my system. The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant did this for me. My...
Read more at source: Windows Intune users: Final Windows 8 bits are available for download | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook