Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

  1. #440


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    I can confirm that it will delete any folder named "Download" when you run it.

    I added a warning at the top of Option One to help make sure folks don't lose any Download folder by mistake.
    Thank you bubblebobble for making us aware of this bug

    Will take care not to retain any Download folders in the location.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #441


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
    How did you make the ISO UFEI and why ? I didn't see an option to make it UFEI during the d/l.
    During the download I selected to make as ISO so I have it for the future.
    I then used Rufus to make the bootable USB stick and that is where you choose UFEI of MBR.
    UFEI and GPT is the newest format and since my Laptop supports it I went in that direction.

    UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows



    Jim
    I burned the ISO to a DVD, will I get a good clean install on a SSD with it ?
    As far as I know you don't have to do anything special if you are installing with a DVD. You should get two Boot options for the optical drive in the list, one will have UEFI in front of it. If your PC does not support UEFI you'll only see the one option for the DVD drive with no mention of UEFI.
    Some PC's will not let you install in UEFI mode if the USB thumb drive is formatted in NTFS. This new Media creation Tool formats the thumb drive in Fat 32 so that shouldn't be an issue.

    The screen shot in step 4 will show you what I mean about the two boot options, UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #442


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post

    During the download I selected to make as ISO so I have it for the future.
    I then used Rufus to make the bootable USB stick and that is where you choose UFEI of MBR.
    UFEI and GPT is the newest format and since my Laptop supports it I went in that direction.

    UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows



    Jim
    I burned the ISO to a DVD, will I get a good clean install on a SSD with it ?
    As far as I know you don't have to do anything special if you are installing with a DVD. You should get two Boot options for the optical drive in the list, one will have UEFI in front of it. If your PC does not support UEFI you'll only see the one option for the DVD drive with no mention of UEFI.
    Some PC's will not let you install in UEFI mode if the USB thumb drive is formatted in NTFS. This new Media creation Tool formats the thumb drive in Fat 32 so that shouldn't be an issue.

    The screen shot in step 4 will show you what I mean about the two boot options, UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with
    Just saw this reply. Thanks for the link. Will give it a whirl soon as I get a new SSD.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #443


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by genet View Post
    Installing using UEFI boot mode or Legacy BIOS boot mode. -> link
    Instructions updated.

    1. How to create UEFI Boot Mode compatible Windows 8 64-bit USB flash drive, which is only bootable in UEFI Boot Mode.

    Format your USB flash drive (see screenshot below). Note: You need to choose the FAT32 file system.

    When formatting is complete.
    - In Windows 8, right click on the Windows 8 64-bit ISO image file and choose either Mount or Open with > Windows Explorer.
    - Copy all files to USB flash drive.

    Note that UEFI boot mode do not use boot sectors on the USB flash drive and do not require active partition to be set.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #444


    Arlington, Texas, USA
    Posts : 2
    Windows 8.1/Windows 10 Technical Preview (Dual Boot)


    I have an Acer R7 convertible with a 1TB HD and a 24GB SSD for fast boot. I have damaged my recovery partition, and want to do a clean install from USB using an ISO, but am not sure which one to use. My laptop was shipped with Windows 8 installed, and I have the BIOS stored product key. I have no issue installing 8 since I will update regardless. But which ISO download method should I use?
    I also have the Windows 10 Technical Preview on another partition, but I want to restore my device to as near as factory as possible, filling the entire drive with 8.1, and then reinstall Windows 10 TP on a new partition after I get 8.1 where I want it. How would be the best course of action? Should I delete the W10TP partition first, resize the 8.1 I have currently, and then install the fresh install? I also have factory recovery partitions that are corrupted and not working. I'd like to reclaim that space as well. What to do, what to do... HMMM...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #445


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Right click the Start Orb/button and select System. What does it list under Windows Edition? If you chose Custom Install you can do all the partitioning then. You can delete some or all of the partitions and then create new ones. Windows will create the special system reserved, EFI etc partitions on its own.

    UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #446


    Posts : 22,577
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Christexaport, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    You could use OPTION ONE to download a Windows 8 ISO that's the same as you originally had installed on the PC.

    Before doing the installation, I would recommend to have all of your drivers downloaded from Acer and saved to a USB flash drive or some other location that's not getting formatted when doing the clean install. This way you will have them ready to install after Windows has finished installing in case you can't get an internet connection until the network driver is installed.

    I'd say it would be best to wipe the whole drive until it's unallocated, then do the usual clean install on it with UEFI like below.

    UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #447


    Arlington, Texas, USA
    Posts : 2
    Windows 8.1/Windows 10 Technical Preview (Dual Boot)


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Christexaport, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    You could use OPTION ONE to download a Windows 8 ISO that's the same as you originally had installed on the PC
    Option 1 says "Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation".
    My system shipped with Windows 8, not 8.1, which I updated from the Windows Store. My BIOS detected key, which I have, is for the OEM shipped Windows 8.
    1. Will this Windows Installation Media Creation tool download Win8, or just 8.1?
    2. Will my Windows 8 product code detected in the BIOS activate the Windows 8.1 installation? I've seen information that makes me think it will not.
    3. I prefer to just install Windows 8, but if 8.1 can be activated with my key embedded in the BIOS, I'm cool, but need to be sure.

    I'm currently booting into W10TP because my 8.1 installation won't boot. I can't be sure, but don't think it was 8 Pro.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #448


    Posts : 22,577
    64-bit Windows 10


    From the details at Microsoft's site in Option One, it should detect your Windows 8 key during installation. If not, then you could just enter it instead.

    You could use Option Five in the tutorial below to find your embedded product key to write it down if needed.

    Product Key - Find for Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #449


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    Quote Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
    2. Will my Windows 8 product code detected in the BIOS activate the Windows 8.1 installation? I've seen information that makes me think it will not.

    3. I prefer to just install Windows 8, but if 8.1 can be activated with my key embedded in the BIOS, I'm cool, but need to be sure.
    2. From where have you got this info, any links?

    3. Many of the members in the forum have tested this creation tool to install 8.1 Update in Win 8 OEM machine & activated automatically.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create
Related Threads
I have a laptop that the password will not work. It worked one time and I got in. This thing is wacked. Has 4 optimizer programs and other junk. Now I can't get in. I was thinking if I downloaded 8 iso from here How to Create or Download a Windows 8 and 8.1 ISO using option 1 could I use it to...
How to Add a "Windows Defender" Cascading Desktop Context Menu in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to add or remove a cascading (expandable) Windows Defender menu to the desktop context menu for all users in Windows 8 and 8.1 to be able to quickly open Windows Defender to...
Hello again to all. Can anyone please explain because this a little bit confuses me, CREATING a SYSTEM IMAGE, now that I have a DUAL BOOT win7-win8 OS. >>I want to know if I CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 7 (my default OS), and then later, if ever I RESTORE THIS CREATED SYSTEM IMAGE, will the...
Solved Create DVD from upgrade download in Installation & Setup
How do I create a DVD using the download from the Windows 8 upgrade? I just purchased the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (Ł24.99 in the UK), downloaded and installed Windows 8 over an old XP system I had put on a spare disk drive on my system. The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant did this for me. My...
Read more at source: Windows Intune users: Final Windows 8 bits are available for download | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook