Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

  1. #330


    Thailand
    Posts : 16
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64

    Creating Win8.1 UEFI capable flash drive...


    Here's a new twist on attempting to create a UEFI capable Windows 8.1 Enterprise ISO flash drive.

    Many posts showed to use a program called rufus to format and add my ISO to the flash drive thus creating a UEFI installation drive. After running this program, it has now destroyed the firmware of my Kingston DataTraveler G3 16GB. I am no longer able to format using Windows or any other program.

    Attached are the 3 screenshots of what I now see.

    Has my USB drive now been destroyed or is there a possibility of recovering it so I can eventually get my Win8.1E ISO into UEFI mode for installation?

    Thanks.
    Cole

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #331


    Thailand
    Posts : 16
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64


    Found this additional thread here on our forum:

    OPTION TWO


    With good fortune I was able to reacquire my flashdrive with the "create partition primary" command. YEA!!

    After completing the remaining steps I am now copying my ISO files as stated in Step 8. Once this is completed I'll continue on with the remaining steps and see if I can get Windows 8.1 Enterprise to install on my Samsung 250GB SSD using UEFI from the ASUS F2A85-V Pro mainboard.

    Fingers are dually crossed!
    Last edited by Brink; 11 Apr 2014 at 23:12. Reason: removed quote of all of Option Two
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #332


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,483
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Diskpart will normally bail you out of situations like that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #333


    .ie
    Posts : 35
    Windows 7 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by cmcole101 View Post
    After running this program, it has now destroyed the firmware of my Kingston DataTraveler G3 16GB.
    Your subsequent post determined this statement as a lie.

    As demonstrated, Rufus did not destroy the firmware of your drive.

    <rant mode>Please be VERY CAREFUL before posting misleading statements such as "Rufus destroyed my firmware" or "Rufus destroyed my drive", when this is clearly not what happened.
    Unless you are an expert, you should really exert a lot of caution before accusing some software of having damaged your hardware.

    As the author of Rufus, my problem with this (and this is not directly only at you), is that now, other people will see your post as well as other similar misleading statements about Rufus potentially damaging USB Flash Drives, and believe that there might be some truth to it, no matter the extent in which I try to explain that it is simply not possible for Rufus to damage your hardware.

    I have spent a lot of time an effort making sure that Rufus is safe to use, and I have more than 25 years continuous software development experience, so I hope that I can grade a bit higher than "amateur" when it comes to ensuring that an application will not, under any circumstances, damage hardware. As such seeing Rufus being dismissed as an application that can destroy USB flash drive is extremely annoying. The statement about Rufus destroying firmware is about as damaging as if I came to your school or workplace, and started shouting loudly "Hey, you just committed a hit and run!", when I never saw you do such a thing.

    Clearly, your firmware and drive are just fine, and Rufus did not do any damage to them. Also, while Rufus does provide a very clear and prominent way to provide a log, which would probably have explained why your drive was no longer listed in Windows explorer (which seems to be the only actual issue you had), you didn't capture that information.

    For what is worth, one scenario I regularly see from Rufus users, that lead to drives no longer being listed, is the following:
    • User chooses to check the "Check device for bad blocks" option of Rufus
    • User finds out that the bad blocks check takes a really long time, so he or she clicks cancel to interrupt it
    • User ignores Rufus' big warning message that says that doing so may leave the device in an unusable state
    • Because the flash drive has been "zeroed" (well, technically, it's not zeroes but the data from the bad blocks check"), it is now without a partition table, and therefore only seen by Windows as a Raw drive. Because of this, the device will seem to have vanished from Windows Explorer, and in some circumstances (that I will try to fix with version 1.4.7), Rufus may not even give you the option to reformat the drive.
    • No longer seeing their drive listed where it used to be, and rather than:
      1. Going to Device Manager to confirm that the device is still there
      2. Going to Computer Management → Disk Management and reinitializing the drive
      user assumes that the drive was damaged by Rufus and goes on the internet to post that it destroys flash drives...

    So, I'd like to remind everybody that if you have a problem with Rufus, you should:
    • Write down the exact steps you did and make sure you save the complete log (just press the log button and then click Save Log)
    • Post the log here, or open a new issue on github, or e-mail it to me. For the last 2 options, just click the links in the about dialog.
    • NOT jump to conclusion about software having damaged your hardware!
    </rant mode>
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #334


    Thailand
    Posts : 16
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Akeo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcole101 View Post
    After running this program, it has now destroyed the firmware of my Kingston DataTraveler G3 16GB.
    Your subsequent post determined this statement as a lie.

    As demonstrated, Rufus did not destroy the firmware of your drive.

    <rant mode>Please be VERY CAREFUL before posting misleading statements such as "Rufus destroyed my firmware" or "Rufus destroyed my drive", when this is clearly not what happened.
    Unless you are an expert, you should really exert a lot of caution before accusing some software of having damaged your hardware.

    As the author of Rufus, my problem with this (and this is not directly only at you), is that now, other people will see your post as well as other similar misleading statements about Rufus potentially damaging USB Flash Drives, and believe that there might be some truth to it, no matter the extent in which I try to explain that it is simply not possible for Rufus to damage your hardware.

    I have spent a lot of time an effort making sure that Rufus is safe to use, and I have more than 25 years continuous software development experience, so I hope that I can grade a bit higher than "amateur" when it comes to ensuring that an application will not, under any circumstances, damage hardware. As such seeing Rufus being dismissed as an application that can destroy USB flash drive is extremely annoying. The statement about Rufus destroying firmware is about as damaging as if I came to your school or workplace, and started shouting loudly "Hey, you just committed a hit and run!", when I never saw you do such a thing.

    Clearly, your firmware and drive are just fine, and Rufus did not do any damage to them. Also, while Rufus does provide a very clear and prominent way to provide a log, which would probably have explained why your drive was no longer listed in Windows explorer (which seems to be the only actual issue you had), you didn't capture that information.

    For what is worth, one scenario I regularly see from Rufus users, that lead to drives no longer being listed, is the following:
    • User chooses to check the "Check device for bad blocks" option of Rufus
    • User finds out that the bad blocks check takes a really long time, so he or she clicks cancel to interrupt it
    • User ignores Rufus' big warning message that says that doing so may leave the device in an unusable state
    • Because the flash drive has been "zeroed" (well, technically, it's not zeroes but the data from the bad blocks check"), it is now without a partition table, and therefore only seen by Windows as a Raw drive. Because of this, the device will seem to have vanished from Windows Explorer, and in some circumstances (that I will try to fix with version 1.4.7), Rufus may not even give you the option to reformat the drive.
    • No longer seeing their drive listed where it used to be, and rather than:
      1. Going to Device Manager to confirm that the device is still there
      2. Going to Computer Management → Disk Management and reinitializing the drive

      user assumes that the drive was damaged by Rufus and goes on the internet to post that it destroys flash drives...

    So, I'd like to remind everybody that if you have a problem with Rufus, you should:
    • Write down the exact steps you did and make sure you save the complete log (just press the log button and then click Save Log)
    • Post the log here, or open a new issue on github, or e-mail it to me. For the last 2 options, just click the links in the about dialog.
    • NOT jump to conclusion about software having damaged your hardware!

    </rant mode>
    I humbly bow to your feelings. As a computer engineer and tech support for 14 years, I should have been more sensitive in my rapid assumption of the cause of the flashdrive being wiped out using rufus.

    In the end, it was an elevated command prompt and executing

    • select disk #
    • clean "didn't need this step since the flashdrive was already wiped clean"
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=fat32 quick
    • active
    • assign
    • list volume
    • exit

    Once these commands returned my flashdrive to a usable state I could copy all Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 files and the ASUS F2A85-V Pro mainboard to recognize the USB as UEFI and it then promptly installed easily and quickly to my Samsung 840 250GB SSD.

    Once the OS was fully installed, including all updates and mainboard chipsets, firmwares, etc., I noticed a marked difference in speed, both from boot to desktop. Now even installed programs are running significantly faster.

    So please accept my apology for making a low-brow statement about your software. In fact, it's a very impressive creation and copied my ISO to the UEFI flashdrive to which allowed me to install on my UEFI SSD.

    Thank you for your contributions to the field of high-tech growth, and for helping others who haven't a clue but want to learn.

    Best regards,
    Cole
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #335


    Posts : 2
    Windows 7 HE


    I have the exact same roblem about that bcd file. I still could find no solution for this and in this cas , this Asus X551M don't have any option to use legacy BIOS or CSM or anything like that. I can actually disable secure boot and bast boot but that's not enough. I really need to change Windows 8 to 7 to use on na enterprise enviroment where there's no support to Windows 8.
    Any solution?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #336


    Posts : 1
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit


    I registered an account just to thank Brink and Akeo for making Windows installations involving UEFI almost painless.
    I Just finished installing a copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit w/ SP1(UEFI) I got from MSDNAA/Dreamspark on my sister's Asus UX31A.
    The only issue I had was the "BCD" missing error. I was able to go past it by enabling CSM on the BIOS.
    Any chance that a little note can be added on the original post about enabling CSM on BIOS? I found out about this requirement after reading some 10~ pages of posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel360 View Post
    I have the exact same roblem about that bcd file. I still could find no solution for this and in this cas , this Asus X551M don't have any option to use legacy BIOS or CSM or anything like that. I can actually disable secure boot and bast boot but that's not enough. I really need to change Windows 8 to 7 to use on na enterprise enviroment where there's no support to Windows 8.
    Any solution?
    Emanuel360 if you haven't already you should update to the latest BIOS available for your machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #337


    Posts : 22,025
    64-bit Windows 10


    Welcome to Eight Forums Nhatorama.

    I've added this to the requirements at the top of the tutorial to help others with the same issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #338


    Posts : 3
    x64 7/x64 8.1


    Im trying to install Win7 x64 Home Premium (retail) on an Acer tower that shipped with 8.1. Ive tried many methods such as via disc, creating a bootable factory image on the HDD and using Universal USB installer. Ive disabled secure boot and enabled legacy but I always get the following "insert a bootable media and press a key" or it will load the drivers and take me to the first win7 install screen then just reboots. No error message just a constant reboot loop. So now Im trying the UEFI (rufus) install method but rufus keeps giving me the message that my ISO is not efi bootable. I used Imgburn to rip the ISO and have tested the ISO by burning it and booting my laptop with it. So any help as to how to get rufus to accept it would be greatly appreciated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #339


    Posts : 22,025
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello SPPV, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    Sounds like the source you used for the ISO is just not compatible with UEFI.

    See if an official Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 U (media refresh) X17-58997.iso file (3.09 GB) from the link below will work better.

    Windows 7 Direct Download Links, Official Disk Images from Digital River
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
How to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 8 and 8.1 If you run into problems with your PC, a USB recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix those problems, even if your PC won't start. This will show you how to create a bootable recovery (system repair) USB flash drive in Windows...
Tutorials
Windows 8.1 - Bootable USB Flash Recovery Drive
What size flash drive do I need?
Installation & Setup
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive
USB Flash Drive has to be in GPT?
General Support
windows 8.1 and bootable flash drive
here is my problem---I have a hp 475 homeserver with new upgrades. i'm trying to install windows home server 2011 on it. I want to put the whole sys on a bootable flash drive and install that way. so my question is will someone hold my hand and walk me thru step by step. I have ms dvd tool and...
General Support
Create Bootable USB Flash Drive
I would like to make a flash drive bootable and I have looked at the utility that HP has called USB Disk Storage Format Tool and every place I have looked to find how to install and use it, the instructions that I have seen do not show up for me when I run the program. Has anyone used the tool or...
General Support
Partition Wizard -- any way to create BOOTABLE USB drive
Hi there Partition wizard - seems no way to create a USB bootable media -- if your PC doesn't have a physical DVD drive even the PAID PRO version doesn't show the create bootable media option. PLEASE NO ANSWERS FOR BOOTABLE CD --- THIS MACHINE DOESN'T HAVE ONE. Gone back to the FREE GPARTED...
Software and Apps
Create bootable USB win8, UEFI or BIOS?
So I want to create a bootable USB for win8 x64. I'v got the ISO. Do I need to follow this: https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2227-create-bootable-usb-dvd-windows-8-iso.html or this?: https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html My...
Installation & Setup
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook