Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

  1. #140


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Wolfgang,

    Yes, it'll work the same way in a VM as well.
    Thanks Shawn. But would'nt there be a problem with the activation since the vBox machine never had a valid Windows product key associated with it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #141


    Germany
    Posts : 24
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Finally i have an activated copy of windows 8 pro
    The iso that i had, which was from a torrent, didn't asked me for the serial and i wasn't even able to make a uefi usb flash drive.
    I downloaded the setup from the email confirmation when i purchased the cd key upgrade and i made a bootable usb drive which happened to be also uefi, i make a clean install and i got the 4 partitions which i couldn't get earlier.
    Now i checked and it's activated. Pretty good for only 29.99 Euro
    By the way this is my first legit windows copy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #142


    Posts : 22,564
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Wolfgang,

    Yes, it'll work the same way in a VM as well.
    Thanks Shawn. But would'nt there be a problem with the activation since the vBox machine never had a valid Windows product key associated with it.
    Nope. So long as you no longer use the product key from another owned Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 while Windows 8 is installed, you will be fine with the upgrade EULA.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #143


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Wolfgang,

    Yes, it'll work the same way in a VM as well.
    Thanks Shawn. But would'nt there be a problem with the activation since the vBox machine never had a valid Windows product key associated with it.
    Nope. So long as you no longer use the product key from another owned Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 while Windows 8 is installed, you will be fine with the upgrade EULA.
    Thanks, that makes it clearer. Have to find an old Vista key from when I installed Win7 (OEM) on a system.

    PS: Found one. I am glad I kept those old Belarc Advisor files.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #144


    Posts : 22,564
    64-bit Windows 10


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #145


    Melbourne
    Posts : 38
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64

    Uisng Technet RTM with purchased key


    Shawn,

    My eldest son wants to use windows 8, so I am going to buy it for him. All I need is the licence key, right?

    If I have my RTM from my technet subscription, can I just use that image with his key on his machine and it will be ok?

    He can't get around until the 29th of Jan, and rather than wait for a slow download, i thought I get a head start by buying the licence from my computer.

    Is that going to work?

    Tanya
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #146


    Posts : 22,564
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Tanya,

    That should work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #147


    Hi, newbie here to this forum. I've gone through this entire thread and don't think I've found an answer to my predicament.
    I've upgraded my my 2x PCs to Win8 (previously Win7) and love the speed improvements. Problem is, one of my machine's (a Win7 machine) hard drive failed so I want to go striaght to the Win8 on blank HD. I still have the Win8 64-bit files downloaded onto a USB which loads so I just need to buy a new Win8 upgrade product key to get the installation to complete. How do I do this as I can't run the Win8 upgrade adviser to on my remaining machines to get to the bit where I purchase the key? Or am I missing something obvious?

    Thanks, LP.
    PS And thanks for all the help you've provided others on this thread!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #148


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Hi All:

    Haven't read hardly anything above. But, this thread might add something to your discussion.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #149


    Posts : 22,564
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Litepurple View Post
    Hi, newbie here to this forum. I've gone through this entire thread and don't think I've found an answer to my predicament.
    I've upgraded my my 2x PCs to Win8 (previously Win7) and love the speed improvements. Problem is, one of my machine's (a Win7 machine) hard drive failed so I want to go striaght to the Win8 on blank HD. I still have the Win8 64-bit files downloaded onto a USB which loads so I just need to buy a new Win8 upgrade product key to get the installation to complete. How do I do this as I can't run the Win8 upgrade adviser to on my remaining machines to get to the bit where I purchase the key? Or am I missing something obvious?

    Thanks, LP.
    PS And thanks for all the help you've provided others on this thread!
    Hello LP,

    Do you have a friends computer that you could use? You could run the "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant" and stop at step 14 below on any 32-bit or 64-bit Vista or Windows 7 computer to only purchase a product key. It will not invalidate their key.

    Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant - Download and Run


    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade
Related Threads
Hey all, I bought an upgrade copy of Windows 8 back when it released, and I've been using the same installation since 2012. Windows have been giving me a lot of issues, so I'm planning on re-installing in a week or two. I want to format my hard drive and then install Windows, but I'm afraid if I do...
Sorry if if this was answered. This question is for a friend, but honestly I don't the exact answer myself. Windows vista, upgrade to 7, now upgraded to Windows 8 using Windows 8 upgrade DVD, keeping his software and files. Friend does not feel system is working as it should so wants to try...
So I haven't tried it officially on a new HDD, but I did try it over a new Install of Release Preview and it worked great! Background: I completely wiped my HD and had no install disk, recovery, nothing. I had to go on my Windows 7 and download a legit copy of Windows Pro 8 Upgrade. I had it on...
Solved Windows 8 upgrade to clean install in Installation & Setup
Hi For the first time I have purchased an upgrade instead of the full version. It installed ok, but I am having one or two issues. For some reason, although in power options I have it set to 'shut down' on the power off, it shuts down then sometimes within a few minutes or in a few hours (during...
I have a preference to perform a clean installation, on my active partition; specifically, after deleting the original partitions, containing Windows 7 and the Reserve partition! This option is available, I believe, by selecting the Advance option, and then choosing the delete both of these...
I'm interested in eventually trying Windows 8, I'm currently using Windows 7 on all my PC's. With 7 I was able to clean install with the upgrade disc I bought when I was in school for $40. Looks like Microsoft is offering upgrades to 8 for the same deal through Jan 31 2013. I was reading some...
Hi, For your information, I bought my Asus laptop last year that came with Windows 7 Pro. I'm planning to upgrade to Windows 8 this coming October, however, it seems they require me to provide the windows product key. I download a software called: "Key Finder" to find my windows key, and...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook