WMP shows file size as 0 bytes

paulsalter

Power User
Hi All,
Been doing a lot of searches for this issue over the last few days and can find a solution to fix it(re create wmp database) but no mention of why this occurs

The main reason I want to use WMP is because it has playcounts, so after I have copied some media files I can see what hasn't been watched/listened too (going through my dvd collection and converting to digital)

a lot of files are on my old machine (Mac) so I copy them over and correct the metadata to make sure it's correct, few hours later I look at wmp shows the file size as 0 bytes (actual file is correct in explorer)

Is there anything I can do to avoid this (rebuilding library loses playcounts so don't want to keep doing this)?
or should I totally ignore playcounts and use the new metro style video app?

This seem like an issue that has been going on for years, but cannot find anything about a way to avoid it happening

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
Hello paulsalter,

As you are aware, this does happen often; especially if you have a large number of files to be indexed. Why? Who knows? But I have a rep waiting for anyone that can provide a definite fix. You are not alone on this one.
Good luck with whatever decision you may make.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks for the reply

I think I will stick with the metro style music/movies apps, I like the look of them but the missing features put me off (play counts, ratings etc), as wmp seems to be quite flaky I will just ignore it for now

Do you know if wmp is actively being improved my MS, or is it just the win 7 version that's in win 8 with no more improvements to it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
Thanks for the reply

I think I will stick with the metro style music/movies apps, I like the look of them but the missing features put me off (play counts, ratings etc), as wmp seems to be quite flaky I will just ignore it for now

Do you know if wmp is actively being improved my MS, or is it just the win 7 version that's in win 8 with no more improvements to it

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your questions because I really have no idea whether or not MS is actively pursuing a fix for this ongoing issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your questions because I really have no idea whether or not MS is actively pursuing a fix for this ongoing issue.

No problem, cheers for info you have given

Only been using Win 8 for about a month so still looking into the options for various things

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB