Solved WinHlp32.exe-How can I enable Legacy Windows Help system on Windows 8

Thanks to all who contributed to this topic. I was easily able to take ownership of the winhlp32.exe file and copy in the file from Simon's post on the first page of this thread. For a first time visitor to this forum I was very pleased.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Win 8.1: Downloaded WinHlp32.exe provided in SIW2's first post, copied to Windows folder (after renaming the stub file). Can NOT associate the .hlp extension with the file, but running the Winhlp.exe works; you have to File > open & navigate to the hlp file, opens it OK.
Just posting this because I nearly gave up on this one because of the failure to associate; newcomers with the same problem try running it first.
Why it won't associate, I don't care, works well enough for me. Big thanks to SIW2, after hours of Google searching this was the only thing that worked.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks, it still works! I had to use "Take Ownership" and "Run as Administrator" at various times, but I got there!
Interestingly, the copy in "Windows.old" didn't work, although I'm sure it did before I upgraded.
I can now get help on my "Millennium Edition" of Lotus SmartSuite. Yes I know it's old, but Lotus 123 is the only way I can print some necessary graphs in a particular format. Wonder how I will get on in Win 10?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Zenovo Z580
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23.5 inch as second monitor
    Internet Speed
    Currently 13 mbps, Fibre Next Week!
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Norton
Thanks, it still works! I had to use "Take Ownership" and "Run as Administrator" at various times, but I got there!
Interestingly, the copy in "Windows.old" didn't work, although I'm sure it did before I upgraded.
I can now get help on my "Millennium Edition" of Lotus SmartSuite. Yes I know it's old, but Lotus 123 is the only way I can print some necessary graphs in a particular format. Wonder how I will get on in Win 10?

Still the same as Win 8.1. Except the stub from Windows 10 takes you to a web page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/917607, which may or may not open the installer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1

Still the same as Win 8.1. Except the stub from Windows 10 takes you to a web page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/917607, which may or may not open the installer.

Thanks, fafhrd! I'll squirrel that away until I jump into Win 10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Zenovo Z580
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23.5 inch as second monitor
    Internet Speed
    Currently 13 mbps, Fibre Next Week!
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Norton
To cut a long story short I'm running Windows 8 on a small tablet pc and I need the .hlp files to work in Delphi 7. Upon attempting to launch the help within Delphi 7 Windows throws up an error saying:

Why can't I get Help from this program?

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1. For more info, go to the Microsoft Support website.

So, then off I go following the Microsoft Support link provided and as requested download

Windows8-RT-KB917607-x86.msu

The problem is that when I then run this I receive the following error:

Windows Update Standalone Installer
The update is not applicable to your computer.

The operating system on this pc is 32 bit with an x64 based Atom processor.

Is there any way to work around this? I could really do with the interactive Delphi help system working.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Back