Windows Videos: First look at Windows 8.1

And if half the OS needs the 'cloud' to work, then there's not much point in my even bothering with it.

Wenda.

What in the world are you talking about? It seems like 75% of the responders in the 8.1 threads are just trolls.

Troll? No. Far from it.

I've used W8 since the early beta days, and am using the retail version now. I've never come on here just to bag 8, as my post history will verify. But there are things about it that I dislike, and I've said so. I've done the same regarding the things I do like.

But I don't see why I should have to automatically like and approve of every little thing about 8 or 8.1, and not comment adversely on any aspect, in order to avoid being regarded as a troll.

Did you ever like any OS 100%? I sure haven't, and I've used many over the years. Saying so shouldn't make me a troll.

@DavidY: You are correct, that was what I meant.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
And if half the OS needs the 'cloud' to work, then there's not much point in my even bothering with it.

Wenda.

What in the world are you talking about? It seems like 75% of the responders in the 8.1 threads are just trolls.

Troll? No. Far from it.

I've used W8 since the early beta days, and am using the retail version now. I've never come on here just to bag 8, as my post history will verify. But there are things about it that I dislike, and I've said so. I've done the same regarding the things I do like.

But I don't see why I should have to automatically like and approve of every little thing about 8 or 8.1, and not comment adversely on any aspect, in order to avoid being regarded as a troll.

Did you ever like any OS 100%? I sure haven't, and I've used many over the years. Saying so shouldn't make me a troll.

@DavidY: You are correct, that was what I meant.

Wenda.

If what you say is true, that you use and have used all the betas of W8, then you should know that the OS doesn't run half on cloud services.

He was referring to the photo lock screen using your skydrive photos.

He just misspoke but even a passive W8 user knows that from using the OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I think I should honestly consider a career in software UI design..

There was a video posted from Computex that was showing the Start button and also that you can use the Desktop wallpaper as the Start background so basically when you go from your Desktop to Start, the main thing you will see are the tiles, it's not so much of a separate UI but more like a "background" UI.
Windows 8.1 Start button finally shown off on video - Neowin

My God, this was EXACTLY the idea I had, TWO YEARS AGO, when Microsoft first demoed Windows 8. It was quite cool, but I felt that if the Desktop background image was used for Start, maybe even fade it some, it would just be like if the tiles as Microsoft stated, "float" over the Desktop. It doesn't feel like two disparate UIs, but two cohesive ones, one that complements the other and vice versa.

There was that idea, as well as new Desktop themes. For example, if you had a beachy, Hawaiian theme on the Desktop with the image slideshow and automatic coloring of the windows; the Start Screen would have a watermark type print of tropical flowers with the color matching your Desktop window color.

Totally off topic by the way. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
What is win 8 - what defines it?

Answer=Metro. Without metro it is just an updated win7.

Why didn't they release an updated win 7, and a separate tablet/phone os?

Answer = MS need to get as many as possible into their online stuff as fast as possible.

An updated win7 will not do that. Metro will - that is why it is on the laptops and not a separate tablet/phone os.

MS have sold 3 or 4 m tablets ( they will do netter next year ) But, they are expecting to sell 330m pcs this year and about the same next year. That is 600-700m they can "introduce" to their online stuff via metro.

They have hit a couple of snags :

1) It seems a lot are not keen to buy the 8 laptop type things.

2) Of those who get an 8 laptop type thing - many are trying to avoid metro.

8.1 is intended to fix that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Answer = MS need to get as many as possible into their online stuff as fast as possible.

An updated win7 will not do that. Metro will - that is why it is on the laptops and not a separate tablet/phone os.

MS have sold 3 or 4 m tablets ( they will do netter next year ) But, they are expecting to sell 330m pcs this year and about the same next year. That is 600-700m they can "introduce" to their online stuff via metro.

So you can't go into Internet Explorer 10 on the Desktop of 7 and use Bing search, SkyDrive, Outlook.com, Bing News, Bing Weather, and/or Bing Finance websites?

Who are "those" who get a Windows 8 laptop PC to avoid the Start Screen?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

So you can't go into Internet Explorer 10 on the Desktop of 7 and use Bing search, SkyDrive, Outlook.com, Bing News, Bing Weather, and/or Bing Finance websites?

I got a Windows 8 computer and I avoid the start screen. Bought wife a touch screen laptop with 8 and she avoids start screen. I've deployed 6 Windows 8 computers at work and 5 of the users avoid the start screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

I got a Windows 8 computer and I avoid the start screen. Bought wife a touch screen laptop with 8 and she avoids start screen. I've deployed 6 Windows 8 computers at work and 5 of the users avoid the start screen.

I have a desktop I use the Start Screen constantly. In the past year and a half, I have deployed Windows 8 from either Developer, Consumer, Release, or RTM preview on 14 PCs used by about 20 people altogether. No one has come to me and said they don't want/like the Start Screen and want to revert back to 7. NOT A SINGLE PERSON. Three have gone from Windows xp to 8, all the rest from 7 to 8. When I ask them about Windows 8 to poke and prod them about it to gain a perspective of the typical PC user, all they have to say is that they're content with it and a few have said they really do love it.

I'm currently getting a work friend to go onto Windows 8 from 7, her computer "tech" that she knows says that 8 will slow her computer down and it's too hard to understand. To that I say posh and question that person's merits.

All PCs with Windows 8 have been deployed with Decor8 or a similar customizer tool for that version installed. All PCs customized with appropriate items on the Start Screen, apps either removed, installed, as well as appropriate program defaults. All users shown in about 15-30 minutes everything new to Windows 8, app navigation/searching/closing, pinning and unpinning, the Charms bar, and PC Settings.

I do not install vanilla Windows 8 (or 7 for that matter) unlike some who unfortunately do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Good for you then. It does not change anything in my previous post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have a desktop I use the Start Screen constantly.
Ok then, that's you.

No one has come to me and said they don't want/like the Start Screen and want to revert back to 7. NOT A SINGLE PERSON.
Well, our experiences are different. I don't have people asking me to go back to 7, but i've had numerous people say "um, do I have to use this.....or can I just have it the way that I used to have it"? The people I work with have been quite relieved when i install Classic Shell and set their machine to boot to the desktop.

While I have no reason to think you are just lying to us, obviously if EVERY SINGLE PERSON wanted the start screen, then Windows 8 would be a smashing success and Microsoft wouldn't be caving in and potentially giving people a boot to desktop option in Windows 8.1

Three have gone from Windows xp to 8, all the rest from 7 to 8. When I ask them about Windows 8 to poke and prod them about it to gain a perspective of the typical PC user, all they have to say is that they're content with it and a few have said they really do love it.
Those that are "content", to me don't sound blown away. I'm content with Windows 8 too with the start screen, but I actually really like it when I don't see the start screen and I boot straight to the desktop.

I'm currently getting a work friend to go onto Windows 8 from 7, her computer "tech" that she knows says that 8 will slow her computer down and it's too hard to understand. To that I say posh and question that person's merits.
It likely won't slow down her computer, but some people do find change hard. I've seen quite a number of people confused and stuck in Windows 8 apps. Unable to print from an App because they don't go to the Devices tab in the charms bar, plenty have opened metro apps then gone to the desktop and were surprised to not find the running app on the taskbar.

All users shown in about 15-30 minutes everything new to Windows 8, app navigation/searching/closing, pinning and unpinning, the Charms bar, and PC Settings.
Most haven't had to learn that much since going to Windows 95. 98 was similar, ME was similar, 2000 was similar, XP was similar, Vista was similar, Windows 7 was similiar...Windows 8 is different. No doubt some people can be taught, and the reason it takes teaching is because it is NOT INTUITIVE. Without a hand holding people won't figure this crap out on their own.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
it's funny how people are scared of the cloud.

email is essentially cloud computing. so is Dropbox. so is Facebook. so is Google's suite of software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Agreed on the cloud. I use a bunch of cloud stuff. I'd use it more I'd I had more upload speed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
it's funny how people are scared of the cloud.

I am not scared of the cloud and do use it for somethings such as gmail. I do however get sick of and resistant to having it shoved in my face all the time by various companies. That includes Microsoft and Google as well as others.

I want to be able to turn it off if I am not using it. The thing about Microsoft's products unlike most of Googles, is that we have paid for them, we shouldn't have to put up with adware.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s
    Memory
    16.0GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 and 2407WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 and 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    3 x SSD
    Mix of 2, 3 and 4 TB Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX1050
    Case
    Lian Li Diamond Series PC-Z70 Full Tower, Black
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    20mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    Other Info
    Win 8.1.1 and Office 2013 via Virtualbox

Years before Windows 8 was even an idea I used Hotmail, Skydrive and Xbox Live services with Windows 7. Since Windows 8 was released I've been using the very same Hotmail, Skydrive and Xbox Live services. Microsoft and online services is nothing new, they've been offering them long before Amazon, Google, Apple or even the term 'cloud' was established. For the cloud services that they do generate revenue on like Office 365, they are also available for Windows 7 and OSX for that matter. So other than Metro and the store which are required for a complete tablet ecosystem not much has changed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Some of them might have been available.

That is entirely different, as you well know.

You sound like you work for an online reputation management firm.

MS need to get as many as possible into their online stuff as fast as possible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Some of them might have been available.

Not quite sure what you mean here. Seems to me they were all available if one chooses to use them. I'll keep in mind that this may be your opening sentence to set the tone for the rest of your post.

That is entirely different, as you well know.

I'm assuming you mean the MS Store and Modern apps. Well, it is entirely different in that it was just introduced adding more to their online services.

You sound like you work for an online reputation management firm.

It's a possibility, but I doubt that. I think he's just a regular member posting his thoughts, although I know he can speak for himself.

MS need to get as many as possible into their online stuff as fast as possible.

I absolutely agree. An updated 7 would not have accomplished what MS is seeking > The touch mobile market. This is where the new money lies for them and other companies. This market was initiated via buy smart phones with touch UI. Then we saw the introduction of the pad. Huge profits for Apple, Google, and others.

If MS is guilty of anything, it's coming late to the party, but is it ever too late to show? I don't think so IMO. One can still "steal the show" when one arrives.

MS was doing what they do best > Business computing, but they saw in the forecast, as many did, that PC market sector was flat lining. Why? Because more people were buying mobile devices. So what's a mother to do? Change tactics of course.

Here's where I know we disagree. You see it as forcing on all users whereas I see it as creating an OS to run across multiple devices in conjunction with Windows Phone 8. A UI familiar across all devices. Simplicity for the masses. I think once this idea catches on MS will be successful with 8 and the following.

Please keep in mind that we techies and enthusiasts are a small minority at "the party".

Don't like the new "online services"? Use a local account, unpin the Store tile, uninstall all Store apps, pin whatever desktop programs you'd like, and away you go. No one is forced to use modern apps. Granted, one needs to use the new modern UI with the new Start Screen and All Apps, but hey, less and less users were using the Start Menu. Did they use this as a means for a touch UI launching platform? Yes they did, but it works just as well with mouse and keyboard.

All in all, MS is not forcing anything on anyone nor do I think they ever will. Lure, perhaps. We will always have choices. Will MS clue in the masses? No. Not any more than the rest for they are seeking a new market. Its always been about the market and always will be. There's has dwindled, so they shifted gears.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I know what MS are doing, and I understand why. If I were in their position, I would be trying to leverage their massive existing user base into their online services. That is best for MS.

It is not necessarily best for the consumers.

The whole 8/metro thing is to serve MS aims.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Cloud? :think:
I'm scared especially because my upload speed is 50kb/s at it's max. :zip:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Cloud? :think:
I'm scared especially because my upload speed is 50kb/s at it's max. :zip:

There's that, and it will make the cloud virtually (ha-ha) useless for many.

But with me, it's a matter of trust.

I don't trust businesses to do the right thing, I don't trust hackers.

And, after the revelations of the past week or so, I CERTAINLY don't trust our governments. Not
mine, and definitely not that of the USA.

I have nothing to hide, but equally have nothing I wish to share without my explicit permission.

Cloud NOT good; Cloud VERY bad.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
And, after the revelations of the past week or so, I CERTAINLY don't trust our governments. Not
mine, and definitely not that of the USA.

I have nothing to hide, but equally have nothing I wish to share without my explicit permission.

:ditto:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
:ditto: And more revelations to come.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint