Windows Update stuck at 0% and post-refresh lag

Best Nidalee NA

Hi :( so I had my notebook for about 7 months and it has worked fine for me. It's an hP winter blue with 4gb of ram. Today I force shut down the laptop, which I've done many times before, but this time it wouldn't reboot properly. So I had to refresh my PC. When it refreshed I noticed that it was EXTREMELY buggy and laggy and slow. Like it take 3-4 minutes to open a program or to close a window. I tried to update to windows 8.1 but it said I had to update my current windows. There's 102 updates but it stays at 0%.... Any help or walkthroughs are greatly appreciated. And could this be a hardware issue because I did hit the laptop out of frustration hahah, although the internal drive is working properly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hi and welcome to the Windows 8 Forums. Don't hit poor lappy or he will hit you back as he did.

Force shut down, If you mean via the power button, not a good idea, boot problems and hardware problems will eventually ensue.
How did you Refresh your system, HP Recovery disks or HP Recovery Partition or what?

Trying to install 102 updates at one time will take a very long time to install and should it fail, probably will, it will take a very long time to revert the changes. Best to install 5 or 10 at a time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Pavillion H8-1202
    CPU
    I7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
    Motherboard
    PEGATRON
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NIVDIA GeForce GT 520
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC656GR CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster S22B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080 32 bit color
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB
    Keyboard
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
Often Refresh, no disc needed, is false. During the Refresh a Windows file may be missing and you would have to insert a Windows Disc which you do not have. Ideally, Clean Installs are the best.

As for the slowness, it could be a corrupt system file which could be fixed by running the sfc /scannow command in the elevated command prompt.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Pavillion H8-1202
    CPU
    I7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
    Motherboard
    PEGATRON
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NIVDIA GeForce GT 520
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC656GR CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster S22B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080 32 bit color
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB
    Keyboard
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
Thanks again for replying, during/ after the scan, will it alert me of a corrupted file or will I have to manually look for it. And if so, how?

just tried it it command prompt and it said I had some other process running so ima restart and try again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Pavillion H8-1202
    CPU
    I7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz