• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows Update removed EFS and Bitlocker from Win8 Standrd

d4n13

Win Update removed EFS and Bitlocker from Win 8 Standard?

Am I insane?

Windows 8 Standard (not Pro or Ent)

I had Win8 early, maybe even beta or CTP via MSDN subscription. Anyway, I've been running it since then and have had great luck with it. On day 1 I put bitlocker on my USB drive (yes, it worked) and put EFS on key folders that held security related items. I fully realize that those features were not included in the marketing slide for the Win8 launch, but I always trust marketers as far as I can throw them.

Now fast forward to 2015, all my encrypted folders are now decrypted and my bitlocker drive is still bit-locked, but since I know the PIN I still have access to it.

Support thinks I'm certifiably insane, but I'm certain I enabled EFS and Bitlocker on Windows 8 Standard, while it was likely in beta or CTP. Did Windows update really just yank encryption out.

So my bitlocker drive is proof (not like court of law). I formatted it on day one. I did bitlocker stuff through the manage-bde script so I can never remember if the bitlocker control panel was ever really there (cuz its not now).

So... anyone have some non-win-updated Windows 8 machines to see if EFS and manage-bde work on? I'm less inclined to roll back the last 47 updates.

Hopefully not insane.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (standard)