Windows update never offers optional newer hardware drivers

davexnet

I don't think it ever has, or I did something that stops it. Here's an example,
motherboard Asrock 960gs-gs fx, Network chip Realtek RTL8111G, PCIe GBE family controller
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_81681849&REV_0C

The driver installed was 8.038.0015.2015 - I'm pretty sure I manually installed this.
But there are much newer drivers on Windows update catalog, such as 8.044.107.2016
which I installed manually, works fine.

Also found at one of the popular driver sites 8.53.323.2017, installed manually, also works fine.

I can't understand why Windows Update has never offered any HW driver update for anything
on this motherboard

Thanks for any info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 4300
    Motherboard
    Asrock 960gc-gs
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Browser
    Firefox
To be offered in Windows Update catalog, a driver should have passed the WHQL testing first. Even though it's free now, this process may take some time. Besides, the driver should have the multi-language support. Some manufacturers, esp. not the top suppliers, may decide to skip this test and offer the drivers only on their support pages. Or do this not for every new version, at least. Maybe these are the reasons?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
But you can see these newer drivers in the Windows Update catalog webpage.
But they do not appear in the Windows update, client, neither is anything offered in device manager/
device/right click "update driver" (and no updates are found)

This is what it says in file setupapi.dev.log when you right click the device in the device manager and choose
update/search automatically
Code:
>>>  [Device Install (DiShowUpdateDevice) - PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_81681849&REV_0C\4&1A9933F9&0&0050]
>>>  Section start 2020/05/16 21:08:20.545
      cmd: "C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe" C:\Windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
     dvi: {DIF_UPDATEDRIVER_UI} 21:08:20.576
     dvi:      Using exported function 'NetClassInstaller' in module 'C:\Windows\system32\NetCfgx.dll'.
     dvi:      Class installer == NetCfgx.dll,NetClassInstaller
     dvi:      Using exported function 'WlanDeviceClassCoInstaller' in module 'C:\Windows\system32\wlaninst.dll'.
     dvi:      CoInstaller 1 == wlaninst.dll,WlanDeviceClassCoInstaller
     dvi:      Using exported function 'WwanDeviceClassCoInstaller' in module 'C:\Windows\system32\wwaninst.dll'.
     dvi:      CoInstaller 2 == wwaninst.dll,WwanDeviceClassCoInstaller
     dvi:      CoInstaller 1: Enter 21:08:20.576
     dvi:      CoInstaller 1: Exit
     dvi:      CoInstaller 2: Enter 21:08:20.576
     dvi:      CoInstaller 2: Exit
     dvi:      Class installer: Enter 21:08:20.592
     dvi:      Class installer: Exit
     dvi:      Default installer: Enter 21:08:20.654
     dvi:      Default installer: Exit
     dvi: {DIF_UPDATEDRIVER_UI - exit(0xe000020e)} 21:08:20.654
     ndv: {Update Driver Software Wizard for PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_81681849&REV_0C\4&1A9933F9&0&0050}
     ndv: {Update Driver Software Wizard exit(00000000)}
<<<  Section end 2020/05/16 21:08:32.248
<<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 4300
    Motherboard
    Asrock 960gc-gs
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Browser
    Firefox
Here I should agree with you, the situation is a bit strange. I wrote a post above, in particular, based on my past experience with NVidia drivers: quite often the new GeForce drivers offered on NVidia website arrived at Windows Update with noticeable delay, while some others, issued without WHQL, didn't arrive at all. People who care about the newest drivers should have installed them manually after reading the driver news; later it became possible using the NVidia update tool. A few years ago, however, a lot of bugs in these drivers were fixed and the wish to have the most recent release became less important.

Like you, I checked the video driver for my GeForce GTX 1050. In my Windows 8.1, the last installed version by Windows Update is 26.21.14.3064, it is shown as up-to-date if I attempt to update this driver in the Device Manager using automatic search. However, the last version available in the MS update catalog is 26.21.14.4145, released 25-Nov-2019. I clearly remember that it wasn't offered during routine Windows Update since that time, and this driver for sure should have WHQL passed. Maybe Microsoft relies on self-update by NVidia tool, which has been installed as well? I usually switch off such tools in automatic start to reduce the start-up time and release some free memory.

I only can assume that Microsoft selects some most important driver updates and skipped less important by unknown criteria. If so, updating from MS Update catalog is the best what do we have now. Another way is in installation of third party tools, like driver and software checkers and updaters. Having such tool a personal preference; however, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Browser
    Google Chrome
I found a driver from the Realtek site dated 2020 that installed just fine,
while the version on the Asrock site for my motherboard is from 2013.
I know the MB sites often have much older drivers but if you search on the windows update catalog
site there are 10 -15 drivers for windows 8 if you search on PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168

I wish I knew exactly what the device manager/update driver was trying to match on
realtek-nic.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 4300
    Motherboard
    Asrock 960gc-gs
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Browser
    Firefox
I see. The Microsoft's negligence to update drivers for still supported Windows 8.1 is disappointing. I only have the explanation that this Windows version is not a priority for MS and is supported even less than Windows 7 during its prime times. Indeed, Windows 8.1 is currently in the extended support phase, which means that only critical bugs and system flaws are being fixed. Apparently the same approach is for drivers: if a new version of a particular driver fixes the recently discovered critical bug, then it will be delivered via Windows Update. But the drivers with any other fixes and improvements will be not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Appreciate your feedback, it's very possible your explanation is correct. I remember when this system was installed,
about 2 years ago, even then it didn't seem that it found any drivers, so I used those at the motherboard support
to get started.
I ran the MS program sigverif.exe, no unsigned drivers; some are signed by AMD and some MS compatibility lab.
This is the info pertaining to the NIC driver update, latest from the Realtek website, according to the motherboard site spec
it's the Realtek RTL8111G ( ASRock > 960GC-GS FX )

[c:\windows\system32] rtnicprop64.dll 4/19/2020 1.2.0.8 Signed rt630x64.cat Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher [c:\windows\system32\drivers] rt630x64.sys 4/19/2020 8.76.212.2020 Signed rt630x64.cat Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

The system is running well, if I find anything else, I'll update the thread - thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 4300
    Motherboard
    Asrock 960gc-gs
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)