Solved Windows Update Never Completes

MamieD

My Windows 8.1 system stopped Updating after February 2017 updates. Now when Update is run it searches for updates essentially for ever (Over 24 hours and I am currently trying a 48 hour test) I have tried everything I found on the internet including running the Microsoft Update troubleshooter. This claimed to have fixed 2 problems but to no effect (other than deleting the Update history though they are still there when Installed Updates are examined) I have attached the Windows Update Log for my most recent attempt to update in the hope that someone will be able to tell me what is cauing the problem. Any help will be much appreciated

Mamie Donald

Attachments

• WindowsUpdateLog.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 96

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Windows Update hangs

Old thread on the issue. You may use the search at top of page for more.

I am having same issue after recent installation of 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel i3, 2348
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD3000
If You were able to download up to Feb 2017 You should have all the required KBs ?? But can You check to see if KB2919355, KB3021910, and KB3172614 are in Your list of installed updates ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME
Your listed updates do not seem to be there. In any case if the February updates were all I should have I would expect Update to reasonably quickly say no updates available

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Correction

KB2919355 was installed march 2014 and KB3021910 installed June 2015 but KB3172614 not installed. Apologies, I had not looked that far back

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
To Stop Windows Update Service the easiest way is to just set to Never Check for updates then restart the PC. Download the updates and then install the updates one at a time, (Not sure if it'll want You to restart between) After the last one is installed, restart, then turn WUS back on and check for updates.
Microsoft Update Catalog
Microsoft Update Catalog
Microsoft Update Catalog

Added: This is just another of Microsoft's attempts to Force people to upgrade to Win 10 or burn up their PCs by the never ending Search For Updates

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME
Updating complete

I had downloaded the file for the missing update you listed and was about to shut off Windows Update as you recommended when it showed that 30 updates were ready for installation. I run the installation and everything went as it should. The first update was indeed 3172614. Download for the updates was some 600mb. Do not really understand why it started to work but all is well for now. Many thanks for the advice

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back