Windows To Go with the Windows 8.1 update

Hard to believe it’s been just over a year that Windows To Go has been generally available. I remember watching some of the very early demos dating back to //build in September of 2011 and seeing the excitement generated by this great feature. To be honest, a quick demo of Windows To Go to those seeing it for the very first time still creates quite a bit of excitement.

For those that may not know what I’m talking about, Windows To Go is Windows 8.1 Enterprise deployed on a certified Windows To Go drive, versus installed directly on the hard drive of the host machine. Simply insert the drive into a compatible device, power on and boot into your own personalized Windows 8.1 Enterprise experience. Windows To Go is perfect for a variety of scenarios, including BYOD, supporting contractors or vendor workforces, or working from home. For a broader look at scenarios and use cases, visit our Windows To Go technology page.

Wondering if this is a stripped down version of Windows? Or how Windows To Go differs from Windows on your hard drive, or what works and what doesn’t? Well, with Windows 8.1, these are pretty simple questions to answer: almost everything you know and love about Windows, you can now know and love about Windows To Go. DirectAccess, check. BitLocker, check. Domain Join, Group Policy, BranchCache, check, check and check. And new for Windows 8.1 and different from Windows 8, the Windows Store is enabled by default.

Wait, what? Is Craig saying, “I can now access the Windows Store from my Windows To Go drive, purchase and install apps, as well as keep all of my apps updated, just like on my tablet or desktop?” Correct. While this is not possible on a Windows To Go drive running Windows 8 Enterprise, it was a key focus area of support in Windows 8.1. Now just to note, there are a few differences to be aware of between Windows To Go and a typical installation of Windows.

In addition to new Windows Store access capabilities, a Windows To Go image running Windows 8.1 is capable of booting from a composite drive that contains a built-in smart card. These composite drives have both a mass storage drive and smart card together in one device. The smart card can be enumerated when booting from the Windows To Go drive or by connecting the device to another host machine. If you are interested in specific information about smart cards in Windows 8.1, see What's New in Smart Cards. It’s important to note this new functionality requires both Windows 8.1 Enterprise and a Windows To Go certified composite drive. The first drives passing certification and supporting these requirements are the SPYRUS WorkSafe and WorkSafe Pro drives.

While the above is a brief description of Windows To Go and new features with Windows 8.1 Enterprise, I urge you to head on over to TechNet where there is a treasure trove of great IT Pro information available related to Windows To Go. And have fun testing, trialing and deploying Windows To Go.

1. Windows To Go Feature Overview
  2. Windows To Go Demo
  3. Prepare Your Organization for Windows To Go
  4. Deployment Considerations for Windows To Go
  5. Deploy Windows To Go
  6. Using Windows To Go
  7. Security and Data Protection Considerations for Windows To Go
  8. Best Practice Recommendations for Windows To Go
  9. Hardware Considerations and Windows To Go Certified Drives
  10. Windows To Go Frequently Asked Questions
  11. Tips for Configuring Your BIOS Settings to Boot from Windows To Go

This blog post is part of a series of guest posts we’re publishing from Windows 8.1 experts across Microsoft. – Ben

Craig Ashley
Senior Product Marketing Manager
Windows Commercial

aggbug.aspx

More...

See also:

You actually need to create it on a USB DRIVE
Yes, you are right with "Windows 8.1 To Go".

But for "Windows 8 To Go" I can use a cheap USB stick (recognized as "removal disk"). So I think Microsoft has changed something in Windows 8.1 so it's not anymore possible to create a "Windows 8.1 To Go" on cheap USB stick.

9) So who NEEDS a Windows to Go system requiring you to have a W8.1 ENTERPRISE version.
But for "Windows 8 To Go" I can use "Windows 8 Core" or "Windows 8 Pro".

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
You actually need to create it on a USB DRIVE
Yes, you are right with "Windows 8.1 To Go".

But for "Windows 8 To Go" I can use a cheap USB stick (recognized as "removal disk"). So I think Microsoft has changed something in Windows 8.1 so it's not anymore possible to create a "Windows 8.1 To Go" on cheap USB stick.

9) So who NEEDS a Windows to Go system requiring you to have a W8.1 ENTERPRISE version.
But for "Windows 8 To Go" I can use "Windows 8 Core" or "Windows 8 Pro".

Windows To Go setups other than the Enterprise version are not supported by Microsoft. I would say they are not legal ether according to the EULA. Just saying. That's why lots of people run Linux Live CD's etc. You don't have to horse around to get them working or worry about activation issues etc. The Enterprise Edition is custom tailored to be able to run on different PC's and different hardware without fuss. I have an Enterprise Windows To Go on an external USB hard drive. It was created on my laptop which is Running 8.1 Enterprise. Works as advertised.Microsoft in the past have not made it very easy to run Windows from and external drive. Have they changed something to make it even harder? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Windows To Go setups other than the Enterprise version are not supported by Microsoft.
There you are correct.

I would say they are not legal ether according to the EULA.
I don't read anything in EULA that prohibits installation of Windows 8 Pro on USB stick.

That's why lots of people run Linux Live CD's etc.
This argument is worthless. A big German computer magazine distributes also a Windows 7 Live DVD based on Windows 7 PE.

8.1 Enterprise. Works as advertised.
Microsoft advertising says that "Windows 8 Enterprise To Go" is possible - but not, that "Windows 8 Pro To Go" isn't possible or isn't allowed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
The EULA may not state that you can't run Windows on a USB stick but you are restricted from running OEM and Retail versions on more than one PC. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of Windows To Go. That's why its only officially available to Enterprise users. Windows PE is not windows and isn't licensed like a full Windows install is. Its just the preinstallation environment.

Microsoft advertising says that "Windows 8 Enterprise To Go" is possible - but not, that "Windows 8 Pro To Go" isn't possible or isn't allowed. << Your 8 Pro Windows To Go or 8 Core Windows To Go will only be legal if you run it on the PC you created it on. It will not be licensed to be run on any other PC. There is a reason why its not an option on Core and Pro, its not supported on those versions. Not supported means you don't have a license to use it. But hay, if you want to play around with it fine. Just don't be surprised if Microsoft makes it hard for you to do or that you may get activation nag screens when you use it on another PC. A side effect of using it may be that your product code gets black listed. If you use it on several different PC's the activation server may flag it. I can see it being a nice backup option if your installed OS gets messed up, just be careful how you use it is all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Your 8 Pro Windows To Go or 8 Core Windows To Go will only be legal if you run it on the PC you created it on.
That's no problem: If I unplug the USB stick from one PC and plugin to an other PC then "Windows 8 Pro To Go" can only run once.

It will not be licensed to be run on any other PC.
That's not the truth. I'm allowed to transfer my license from one PC to an other. E.G. if the first PC break down or I delete hard disk and install Linux or move my SSD to an other PC - or move USB stick to an other PC.

If you use it on several different PC's the activation server may flag it.
"May" is a very vague, spongy term. I have used a "Windows 8 Pro To Go" USB stick many times on different PCs and the key was never "flagged".

I observe many forums and nowhere I read that someone reported that his "Windows 8 Pro To Go" key is flagged. I can understand that Microsoft don't "like" that users use a feature that is highlighted for Enterprise. And I can understand that you as "MVP" (Microsoft most valuable professional) promote this attitude.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
@ Nufu Windows to go may only be running once but what product code is it using? If it's the same product code that is already being used on another PC that is not allowed. Yes you can transfer a Retail copy to another PC but like I said, if you are already using that Product code on another PC your required to remove Windows from the other PC. If your Windows To Go is using its own dedicated product code you are likely alright. Your still likely to get activation requests when a big hardware change is detected. It may fail activation to. I say likely and maybe because I don't know 100% for sure what will happen, I've never done it. Your doing something that is not supported or condoned by Microsoft so all bets are off as to what they decide to do about it. I'm not saying this because I'm an MVP and I'm not going to report you to Redmond ;). I'm an enthusiast and enjoy conversations like this, that's all. I believe people should be aware of the pitfalls of doing certain things is all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard