Windows 'Threshold' tech preview around late September

Microsoft is aiming to deliver a "technology preview" of its Windows "Threshold" operating system by late September or early October, according to multiple sources of mine who asked not to be named.

And in a move that signals where Microsoft is heading on the "servicability" front, those who install the tech preview will need to agree to have subsequent monthly updates to it pushed to them automatically, sources added.

Threshold is the next major version of Windows that is expected to be christened "Windows 9" when it is made available in the spring of 2015. Threshold is expected to include a number of new features that are aimed at continuing to improve Windows' usability on non-touch devices and by those using mice and keyboards alongside touch.

Update: One of my contacts who has provided accurate information on Windows in the past said the Threshold tech preview will be public and available to all those interested.

Read more at: Microsoft to deliver Windows 'Threshold' tech preview around late September | ZDNet

Allow metro apps to run full screen as they do now
The ability to keep the start screen as it is now

keep these options and I will be happy

I agree, except the need to allow apps to multi-window. I don't think they'll window on the desktop as Mary Jo forecasts. I think they'll window on what I will call the new "Modern/Metro Desktop environment" as we really have now. They introduced the three sizes of tiles. Snapping might be something like that. Open an app and snap it both vertically as it does now and an added feature of then snapping horizontally, so therefore windowing. The amount of windows will be determined by the screen or monitor size.

Make no mistake that eventually the desktop app/portal will disappear. Office will be released soon in Modern/Metro, which is a huge seller for them. They already released OneNote in Modern/Metro, of which I totally use now. It can be found in the Store. The radial menus is a great feature in that. OneNote Help

Other production apps will follow eventually.

A platform of OSs to run across multiple devices for a similar, familiar experience, including desktop PCs. That seems to be their goal. I think that's what they'll pursue.

[video=youtube;mfYkhQblYjY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfYkhQblYjY[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Make no mistake that eventually the desktop app/portal will disappear. Office will be released soon in Modern/Metro, which is a huge seller for them. They already released OneNote in Modern/Metro, of which I totally use now. It can be found in the Store. The radial menus is a great feature in that. OneNote Help

I don't use OneNote a great deal, but I do agree that this is a very good metro app

If we assume that apps will run in a resizable window on the desktop in windows 9 (as we have seen rumours of)

What advantage from a users point of view would there be between using the metro onenote or the original onenote program

This is what I am struggling to get my head around, why use a metro app instead of a desktop program if both run on the desktop

Cheers

ps, unrelated but just noticed, how did I become a power user?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit
    Pavillion H8-1202
    CPU
    I7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
    Motherboard
    PEGATRON
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NIVDIA GeForce GT 520
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC656GR CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster S22B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080 32 bit color
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB
    Keyboard
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
If we assume that apps will run in a resizable window on the desktop in windows 9 (as we have seen rumours of)

What advantage from a users point of view would there be between using the metro onenote or the original onenote program

This is what I am struggling to get my head around, why use a metro app instead of a desktop program if both run on the desktop

Cheers

That goes for every app I have seen. Why use an app on the desktop, when a "normal" prgram can do the same (or more)?
For me Windows 9 will be a winner if Metro is absolutely gone from my PC (i.e. maybe disabled uder install, or disabled after install), a little more eyecandy like windows 7, tweakable as windows 7 and the speed from windows 8 :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K @4,4Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A GD65
    Memory
    16Gbyte DDR3 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 lightning
    Sound Card
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2411
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840EVO 240Gbyte, Samsung 830 256Gbyte SSD, Seagate 4TB , Western Digital black edition 1,5Tbyte
    PSU
    Zalman ZM850 HP
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 500R
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    60/60mbit fiber
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender total security
Congratulations on the Power User badge, paulsalter. :thumb:

I use OneNote on my 8.1 Lumia 1520 and 8.1 tower a lot. It syncs. I may start a post waiting for my dentist appointment and finish it on my tower when I get home. Could I configure apps and cloud to do that with a Android and my tower? Sure, but I'm easing up time for other things, it's free via MS, and less chance of it breaking. The commoners and businesses will go for it too as I'll explain below. Here is a snip of OneNote with the radial menu I wanted to post before.

Radial Menu OneNote App Snip.PNG

Like I stated, the Store apps won't run on the Win32 desktop. There's a new one in town called the Modern/Metro Desktop environment. Mine here is green > My theme color. The Win32 desktop app/portal is open and in the App Switcher.

Screenshot (58).png

Reasons to use:

1. Resources. Store apps use far less resources than Win32 apps. When not in use after a time they go into a hibernation mode. Win32 apps do not, therefore using resources that other apps could use. Not all people can afford big rigs that we see so many here have, nor would they want one. Same with businesses. Who needs all that power besides gamers and some scientists? Who needs i7 with 8GBs of RAM at a high cost? Certainly not the commoners or businesses.

How about a business running 50, 100, 500, 1K of workstations? Savings on costs of computers, electricity, and IT. It's not just the UI MS is introducing. It's a platform of OSs that are far easier and less costly to manage.

Task Manager Snip.PNG

2. Safety. Walled garden systems are far safer, for we sit behind walls of accounts and servers. Just one example: http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/52122-windows-phone-8-1-smartphone-choice-business.html

3. Apps working in conjunction via charms such as the Mail, People (contacts), Photos (pics), Calendar, Bing apps, and others. The OSasaurs don't know this for they really never learned the system, but the apps are much more efficient in transferring/sharing data than the desktop environment. Can I prove that? No. One has to learn it to understand that point.

4. Upgrading apps. Every time I upgraded to a new version of a Win32 app (including MS brand) I had to reconfigure all over again. Enter in personal data, configurations, etc. Not so with Store apps. I've watched Store apps upgrade for the last two years and never have to do a thing.

This doesn't have to do with apps, but with services > Even upgrading from 8 to 8.1, apps followed along. Start Screen and Store apps exactly the same. Again, not so with legacy apps. How easy is this for the commoners and businesses? I remember having to hard reset my Droid X2. Sure, contacts and calendar were backed up via a Google account, but that was it. I spent hours getting it back to where it was. And then, how about when I by a new Android device? Do it all over again. Not so with my WP8. Upgraded to 8.1 without much trouble. Again, Start Screen and apps exactly the same. I had to uninstall and reinstall 2 apps because the live tiles wouldn't refresh. If I need to buy a new phone, it will all tag along.

5. Side loading of line of business (LOB) apps: Sideloading Windows 8 Store AppsWindows for IT Pros

6. When I install an app, whether bought or free, it stays mine and tags along in my MS account. I pay one price and use it on as many devices I want. This cuts down on piracy. Every company has a right to protect their products. MS didn't start software stores > The other two did. They're just following suit. It's no different than a company that places armed guards around a warehouse. And yes, they make money off the apps, probably to offset the overhead of the Store. There's costs of labor and equipment.

7. Last, but not least > With Store apps come live tiles: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/16379-real-quality-boot-time-8-verses-7-a.html

I ask you > Why would I want to use Win32 legacy apps when I get all that?

Here's me saying goodbye to my legacy desktop app/portal when finished with it. Hold WinKey > Press and release period key > Then press down arrow key. Bye bye. :p

Screenshot (59).png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Hate the charms bar .. it never works well on my computer at all and I never use it now. I hope they just make it an option. I hope Windows 9 does not suck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus MB11
    CPU
    AMD A8-6500
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    Samsumg 840 EVO 250 GB
    Keyboard
    MS Keyboard 600
    Mouse
    MS Mouse ver 2.0
    Browser
    Firefox ver 30.0
@HippsieGypsie, thanks for the congratulations and the details on app usage, i agree with your comments and do like to use some of the apps, sitting here at the moment using metro IE and xbox video pinned to the side watching some tv shows, I know the same can be done on the desktop, but I like the experience of no interruptions and just having on the screen what I am doing

@Burgurne, agreed that my comment does relate to all apps, what would it take to make you use metro apps if they ran on the desktop, if we had for example metro word and desktop word, both had the same features and run in a window, what would ms need to do so that you used the metro version of word instead of the desktop program

metro apps on the desktop is something I am not sure on yet, so interested in hearing others thoughts on why they would/would not use them

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
That would be just fine if:
1.There was a plethora of good APPs, I couldn't find any I would use instead of desktop program for same thing. Even Skype App has more problems than desktop one. Microsoft Apps are only ones I would consider for now.
2. APPs would have to be able to run in windowed environment, many times I have to open 5 -6 or more windows at a time across 2 monitors, no use for a calculator on half a page, When trying to run spreadsheet for instance and start an metro app everything gets moved to a side and than I have to chase place I was at. APPs (as they are now) don't seem to be well suited for multitasking.
3. Live tiles do not have to be actually tiles, many programs can do same thing. There were live desktop Gadgets before any Live tiles that could do same thing.
I would not argue about Charms bar, if they put something better OK, if not I can live with it, it could be put to good use and an alternative way of doing some things. The only beef I have is with Devices in Charms bar, it should be same as Devices and Printers in Control panel and usable from desktop too instead of in APPs only.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
If the App displays the same information and is easier to setup why bother messing with the desktop equivalent. The two apps I use run just fine as Apps and there is no real advantage to running the desktop equivalent. Slacker radio and the Weather App. I'm sure there are others. If your running Windows RT you don't have a choice. Also, if your on a tablet, the Apps will often better support a touch screen. Oh, and desktop programs do not have live tiles. Some of us actually like that feature.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Make no mistake that eventually the desktop app/portal will disappear.

Desktop disappear...?? Did I read that right...???

I should think that they have clearly learnt their lesson, and will NOT mess about with our desktop... at least not in our lifetime....

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
1. Resources. Store apps use far less resources than Win32 apps. When not in use after a time they go into a hibernation mode. Win32 apps do not, therefore using resources that other apps could use. Not all people can afford big rigs that we see so many here have, nor would they want one. Same with businesses. Who needs all that power besides gamers and some scientists? Who needs i7 with 8GBs of RAM at a high cost? Certainly not the commoners or businesses.
That’s because they do less.

Most PCs (even cheap "disposable" ones) come with more than enough resources to handle MS Office anyway.
You only need lots of CPU and RAM for editing images, editing video and running VMs (and possibly games).

2. Safety. Walled garden systems are far safer, for we sit behind walls of accounts and servers.
It is a "single point of failure".
Hackers can potentially access everyone’s devices when they get in.

Linux and Google repositroies have been interfered with and have even hosted malware.

3. Apps working in conjunction via charms such as the Mail, People (contacts), Photos (pics), Calendar, Bing apps, and others. The OSasaurs don't know this for they really never learned the system, but the apps are much more efficient in transferring/sharing data than the desktop environment. Can I prove that? No. One has to learn it to understand that point.
That contradicts your point about safety.

I suspect a lot power users were appalled by the automatic Metro App data sharing (I know I face-palmed when I first read about it).
Especially after MS claimed that gadgets like the CPU monitor were a security menace.

4. Upgrading apps. Every time I upgraded to a new version of a Win32 app (including MS brand) I had to reconfigure all over again. Enter in personal data, configurations, etc. Not so with Store apps. I've watched Store apps upgrade for the last two years and never have to do a thing.
I'd say that mostly applies to MS products ("our customers are all thieving scum").

Most of the software I use remembers the settings I've applied.
I have software that was apparently written for XP, which can't save its settings due to the lock out on the Programs folders.

OTOH, I've been tripped up by VLC's saved settings.

6. When I install an app, whether bought or free, it stays mine and tags along in my MS account. I pay one price and use it on as many devices I want.
"Don't install Chrome and let Google monitor your activities. Allow us to do it for you instead with Metro Apps."

This cuts down on piracy. Every company has a right to protect their products.
Limited functionality cuts down on piracy.
Why would someone pirate Paint, when they could pirate Photoshop instead?

MS didn't start software stores > The other two did. They're just following suit. It's no different than a company that places armed guards around a warehouse. And yes, they make money off the apps, probably to offset the overhead of the Store. There's costs of labor and equipment.
Apple and Google did it specifically to gouge consumers.
It's like DLC for games.

@Burgurne, agreed that my comment does relate to all apps, what would it take to make you use metro apps if they ran on the desktop, if we had for example metro word and desktop word, both had the same features and run in a window, what would ms need to do so that you used the metro version of word instead of the desktop program
Just imagine how awful a Metro version of Adobe Premier Pro would be (the desktop version is horrible enough).
OTOH, if you could daisy chain several tablets together then the Metro version would be easier to use than the desktop version.

If Metro Word was identical to Real Word, phones/tablets would need to come with an "i7 with 8GBs of RAM".
That would defeat one of the claimed benefits of using Metro Apps (e.g. they use less resources).

OTOH, if Metro Word was identical to Real Word and yet was smaller and used less resources, that would tend to indicate that MS was part of a cartel (with hardware makers) whose aim is to force users to buy higher spec equipment.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

Damn, I had really thought that we'd moved past such nonsense. :sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

metro apps on the desktop is something I am not sure on yet, so interested in hearing others thoughts on why they would/would not use them

I don't want to use metroapps, not even in a window, as I do really see no point in learning to use new programs that can has less features than the programs I allready know. If the Metro add something new _usefull_ features, then I would start to learn.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K @4,4Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A GD65
    Memory
    16Gbyte DDR3 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 lightning
    Sound Card
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2411
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840EVO 240Gbyte, Samsung 830 256Gbyte SSD, Seagate 4TB , Western Digital black edition 1,5Tbyte
    PSU
    Zalman ZM850 HP
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 500R
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    60/60mbit fiber
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender total security
I hope we get a "Windows 7 Mode" installed on my powerful desktop machines and I never have to see any of the "Metro nonsense again". For netbooks, tablets a "metro mode" so I never have to look at that desktop nonsense. For laptops you get to choose. This is the OS that will have options to choose what to install and what to disable. If not Windows 7 will go on and on.......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64 Bit and VM
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built (Saberkitty)
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Vishera 32nm Technology @ 4.1 GHz default
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (Socket 942)
    Memory
    G Skill F3-2400-8GZM
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Super SC ACX 2.0+ with Back Plate GDDR5 128bit, PCI-E 3.0
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium HD Audiophile PCIe
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG L227WTG x 3
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    238GB TOSHIBA THNSNJ256GCST SATA Disk Device (SSD)
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DM 001-1CH164 (SATA)
    1397GB Seagate ST1500DL 003-9VT16L(SATA)
    466GB Western Digital WDC WD50 03AZEX-00K1GA0 (SATA) x 2
    932GB Seagate ST310005 28AS SATA Disk Device (SATA)
    PSU
    Enermax Revolution87+ 1000 Watts Gold Certified Power Supply
    Case
    Rocketfish Full Tower
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212 with push pull fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech K740
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser
    Internet Speed
    Fibre Cable 100 down 30 up.
    Browser
    IE 10 Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast, MSE and common sense
    Other Info
    3 x LG L227WTG @ 1680 x 1050 16:10 monitors.
    Using Mouse Without Borders (Google it)
Allow metro apps to run full screen as they do now
The ability to keep the start screen as it is now

keep these options and I will be happy

I agree, except the need to allow apps to multi-window. I don't think they'll window on the desktop as Mary Jo forecasts. I think they'll window on what I will call the new "Modern/Metro Desktop environment" as we really have now. They introduced the three sizes of tiles. Snapping might be something like that. Open an app and snap it both vertically as it does now and an added feature of then snapping horizontally, so therefore windowing. The amount of windows will be determined by the screen or monitor size.
Snapping is no good for me and I imagine many other people. I've yet to see anything that's as efficient as resizeable overlapping windows for some jobs.

If Microsoft don't allow overlapping Metro windows in Windows 9, it will be another nail in the coffin of Windows Store apps.

PS. I like OneNote as well, and also sync it with my phone, but the (also free) Desktop OneNote 2013 is better than the Metro version. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Make no mistake that eventually the desktop app/portal will disappear.

Desktop disappear...?? Did I read that right...???

I should think that they have clearly learnt their lesson, and will NOT mess about with our desktop... at least not in our lifetime....

Yes, you read it right. I think the legacy Win32 desktop UI will eventually not be included in MS Windows OSs. There's a new UI screen to replace that. It's the Modern/Metro desktop environment. That's the screen where Modern/Metro Store apps run. That’s what the Modern/Metro Office will run on when released and a lot more production software when released, therefore, no need for the legacy Win32 desktop UI.

"Our desktop"? Excuse me, but perhaps you're not understanding the UELA. You/We do not own the software/OS that contains the legacy Win32 desktop UI. We purchase a license to use the software. MS at any time may omit the legacy Win32 desktop UI within future editions, even on existing OSs via an update if you choose to download and install such an update, for in the UELA you/we agree to that also. I don't think they'll do that, but the way I read it it is legally possible.

On the other hand, I would think that you as a Canadian citizen (assuming you are one) have every right not to install such an update and/or purchase a license for any future OS that excludes any item, configuration settings, UI, features, or what have you that you may enjoy to use.

You can hold on to and run any OS for a lifetime. The UELAs last a lifetime so far as I can see. I’m sure there are some that continue to run DOS. The only drawback is that they eventually aren't supported.

License Terms

Damn, I had really thought that we'd moved past such nonsense. :sarc:

Are you saying that my observations, opinion, my term of OSosaurus, and/or one or all is nonsense? It is my observation and opinion that the overall system is in indeed quicker to use. Let’s start here where not one h8er seems to want to comment on: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/16379-real-quality-boot-time-8-verses-7-a.html

Perhaps I should explain the term OSosaurus. It is a name I tag on those that I feel (by means of observing) that I think didn't/don't give 8.x a fair chance to learn it and using the Store apps daily for at least a three month period to grasp what the overall system can do. They install 3rd party software to make it to look and work much like prior OSs as much as possible while enjoying the "under the hood" features that 8.x offers. Of course anyone has the right to do so. To each their own.

Perhaps I should use Sevenosaurus Rex, Vistaosaurus Rex, or Xposaurus Rex to be more specific? How about Megaiwillnotchangeodon? PriorOSodon? XPatops? :sarc:

Another observation I’ve made with these species is that they attack in groups. It’s an efficient means of survival. They’ll be around for a while, but I think will eventually become extinct. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I can't see M$ going desktop-less any time soon. That would mean instant death to billions of programs and applications, that's a base nobody can ignore. Unless they pull the old switcharoo like with DOS and make desktop as a subset to Metro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Eventually I think you will see no distinction between the two. Desktop Program or Metro App, they will both look the same on the screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
It's not too important what they look like as long as they work like they used to. Of course they might go way of 16 bit programs or Dodo which ever comes first but can't see that happening soon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro