Solved Windows Movie Maker problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 26230
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26230

Hello all,

So I recently bought a new laptop that had Windows 8 installed and initally installed Windows Essentials 2012. Everything was working nice and fine. So I wanted to create a video from images I captured using my USB capture device from my gameplay. So I selected that video in Windows Live Movie Maker 2012 and it wouldn't play. The preview window was black but all I could hear was the audio from my video.

So I went to do research online and decided to uninstall windows essentials 2012 and went back to 2011. It installed perfectly. I went to try my video again in the 2011 version and it said my video was corrupt!! I was of course angry.

I still have my old Windows 7 laptop with the 2011 version so I tried the same video on my old laptop and it would play correctly.

So my question is to anyone who can help is:

What can I do to get this video to play correctly on ANY version of Windows Movie Maker for my Windows 8 laptop (I will soon be getting rid of the old Windows 7).

The video is in the .mpg format which according the Microsoft should work.

My Computer

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4790
    Motherboard
    GA-Z87X-D3H
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATI Radeon R7 250
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung UN32EH5000, Dell 1703FPT
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    WD5003AZEX
    WD10EZEX
    Samsung HD103SJ
    Samsung 128 GB 840 PRO
    PSU
    SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900ALED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M705
    Internet Speed
    16 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast
    Other Info
    Bose Companion 2 Multimedia Speakers
The best thing you can do right now is try this modified version of Movie Maker 6. It installs quickly and works perfectly in Windows 8 and, IMHO, is the best version of WMM ever (formerly for Vista only).

Blaine's Movie Maker Blog: Installing Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8

I did try to install this version of Windows Movie Maker 6, and I still have the same problem. Any other suggestions?

In Windows Movie Maker 6 (the one I recommended), Go to Tools> Options> Compatibility and uncheck all boxes. This will remove the possibility that WMM 6 is trying to use an incompatible codec. Once done, try to make your movie again and see what happens:

wmm6.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
The best thing you can do right now is try this modified version of Movie Maker 6. It installs quickly and works perfectly in Windows 8 and, IMHO, is the best version of WMM ever (formerly for Vista only).

Blaine's Movie Maker Blog: Installing Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8

I did try to install this version of Windows Movie Maker 6, and I still have the same problem. Any other suggestions?

In Windows Movie Maker 6 (the one I recommended), Go to Tools> Options> Compatibility and uncheck all boxes. This will remove the possibility that WMM 6 is trying to use an incompatible codec. Once done, try to make your movie again and see what happens:

View attachment 24820

Yeah, I did as you suggested but again nothing changed. :(

My Computer

So, right now, I'm a bit confused at what point the new movie doesn't play. Are you trying to play it in WMM before you export it or are you trying to play it after you export it. If after export, what selection did you use to export it and what media player are you try to use to play it? I know you said .mpg format somewhere but I'm not sure how that fits when you say you were trying to play the movie inside WMM (and that would be before export; yes?). BTW, I hope you tried to make a new movie after unchecking those boxes because that would have no effect on a movie that was already made.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
So, right now, I'm a bit confused at what point the new movie doesn't play. Are you trying to play it in WMM before you export it or are you trying to play it after you export it. If after export, what selection did you use to export it and what media player are you try to use to play it? I know you said .mpg format somewhere but I'm not sure how that fits when you say you were trying to play the movie inside WMM (and that would be before export; yes?). BTW, I hope you tried to make a new movie after unchecking those boxes because that would have no effect on a movie that was already made.

Right after I import the .mpg file into WMM it won't play video. I even wait half a minute and the video wont play but the audio from the video file will. I'm not trying to export (not yet anyways) because I have to do some video editing and adding narration to the .mpg file before making a final video.

My Computer

I though you started by capturing images and then trying to create a movie? Your last response has nothing to do with that. Now, you either have a corrupted movie file or it was created with an incompatible codec (for WMM). Maybe an H264 codec. So, download Freemake Video Converter (you can search for it) and see if you can convert that movie file to a WMV format. If that works, it will play in WMM. If not, it will tell you why it can't convert it. Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I though you started by capturing images and then trying to create a movie? Your last response has nothing to do with that. Now, you either have a corrupted movie file or it was created with an incompatible codec (for WMM). Maybe an H264 codec. So, download Freemake Video Converter (you can search for it) and see if you can convert that movie file to a WMV format. If that works, it will play in WMM. If not, it will tell you why it can't convert it. Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I converted it using the video converter and it will play now. I guess it was just the format of the video that wasn't allowing it to play.

My Computer

A similar problem

I have a host of movie clips taken with a Sony Handycam, DCR-SR42 video camera whilst on a special holiday some years ago. When we returned I intended to turn it all into a movie: in short, I never succeeded, as I too get sound and no picture when these mpg clips are played. Now, years later I’m tackling the task again, and as I seem to have a somewhat similar problem to that described in this thread, I decided to seek help this way, (though the previous enquirer seemed to have one mpg file, whereas I have about 1800 mpg clips totalling about 14Gb in size).
I’ve no idea how the conversion program (mentioned above) might be used for this complex task, and I fear that I’ll have to convert each clip separately: and if each one takes as long as the previous conversion of one small clip (that I did using ZAMZAR, AND it turned out with some garbled pixels and was totally unusable), then I’ll be in my grave long before the project is finished!
So, please can anyone suggest how I can crack this complex problem, please? I have Win 8.1 and WMM 6.2 (I ditched the Win 8 version).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Aspire E1-531
    CPU
    Intel 8960
    Memory
    4GB