Windows Mail for Windows 10 Fix for .mailto and .eml file open capabilities

Larry Cohen

Thank you Eight Forums for your update on installing Windows Mail on a Windows 10 PC. My Windows 7 PC finally bit the dust. I had previously attempted to install Windows Mail on my wife’s Laptop, but without success (using the older version for installation on Windows 7, etc.). So my new Windows 10 arrived with Windows 10 Version 1909 pre-installed. With a wing and a prayer, I attempted installing Windows Mail on the new desktop using the protocol in Posts 1 and 2. Voila! It worked.

Two things I noticed, however, with that installation. Could not open an .eml file with Windows Mail; and the .mailto function was not working. Apparently, the WinMailEdit.reg import file (as well as the v1709+.reg import file.

Happened upon a link discussing the .mailto issue: Register mailto protocol to custom program on Windows 10. At that page, the author presented a generic Registry Import program to add the mailto feature to an email program. Initially, the registry import file had the following registry import:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MyMail.mailto\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Mail\\WinMail.exe\" -mailto \"%1\""

That did not work for the mailto protocol. It was then changed to:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MyMail.mailto\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Mail\\WinMail.exe\" /mailurl: \"%1\""

And the .mailto function for Windows Mail worked as before.

The author of that Registry Import file also had the following entry to open an .eml file:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MyMail.eml\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Mail\\WinMail.exe\" -eml \"%1\""

That entry, however, did not work. Trying to open an .eml file did not invoke Windows Mail. I changed the entry (not unlike the .mailto entry) to the following:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MyMail.eml\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Mail\\WinMail.exe\" /maileml \"%1\""

and Windows Mail then opens an .eml file.

You might want to advise your Windows Mail aficionados to browse over to that Register mailto protocol to custom program on Windows 10 site as well.

I am attaching the Registry Import file (one in plain ext format, the other in a Registry Import format) which I successfully used to add the .mailto and file open capabilities to the Windows Mail for Windows 10.

Larry Cohen

Attachments

• Windows Mail Registry Key in Registry Import Format.reg
    1.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Windows Mail Registry Key in Text Format.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 156

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP P7-1010
    CPU
    AMD Athlon II X4 645
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Norton
Hello Larry, and welcome to the Eight Forums

There is no need for these attachments you give since EVERYTHING needed for proper and fully working WinMail operation is already given in the Tutorial here:
How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8 or Windows 10

Your reply should of been placed in the proper thread in the above link though as I never saw your out of place post here; however again, these issues have long ago been worked out. If you applied the information in the tutorial properly those functions would already be working. Trust me, WinMail is properly working as it's presented in the WinMail tutorial here, proven thousands of times.

Actually many times I've noticed some people forget to download all the attachments, or skip steps, and I knew there was no way it was going to work right. Your particular questions and resolves rely on a combination of procedures not just registry, which affect and populate each other - everything is done the way it is for a reason and purpose; again though Everything necessary to re-instate WinMail, is Completely taken care of and applied, Properly, within the steps of these WinMail Tutorial Procedures:

How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8 or Windows 10

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP