Windows Loses Some Users Despite the Arrival of Windows8.1

Microsoft launched 2 operating system versions in the last 12 months, but this hasn’t stopped the overall market share of its platform from losing a few points every 30 days.

According to market researcher Net Applications, Windows now stands at 90.66 percent, while Mac OS X comes second with 7.73 percent. Linux is third with only 1.61 percent.

The difference between Windows and the other platforms is huge, but Microsoft’s operating system keeps losing points and this isn’t at all a good thing.

Only last month Windows declined from 90.81 percent to 90.66 percent, with the trend clearly showing a dropping market share for what it remains the number one operating system for desktop computers.

Windows started the year with a share of 91.71 percent, but gradually lost points as more users made the switch to other platforms.
Windows Loses Some Users Despite the Arrival of Windows 8.1

Absolutely laughable, 1% decline this year in market share? Really? How devastating. These so called analysts and tech bloggers will take any opportunity to create doom and gloom scenarios for Microsoft. With all the dissatisfaction about Windows 8 since it's release it was the perfect opportunity to move on to OSX, and yet the over whelming majority of people decided to stay with Windows in one form or another.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Might be because mac is £1000 plus (uk prices). Windows machines can be had for £299. I believe the common price point is £399. Even easier, stick with the existing laptop if you don't like the look of what is on offer at a price most can afford.

You will be suggesting Lamborghini is not popular because they only have a tiny fraction of the entire automobile market. Why not throw in bicycles and buses as well. Then you can claim they have a miniscule share of the "personal transport" market.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I just went back on Windows 7 despite having played with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 for a whole year.

Don't get me wrong Windows 8.1 is really good OS and IMHO a major update to Windows 8 but I'm tired of waiting for compatible drivers and software to get optimized and released for Windows 8.1 (if ever).

Metro UI is still just about 99% useless to me with the exception of surfing the web and checking for emails while being sand-boxed, there's also some games in Metro UI (so don't get me wrong).

Windows 7 is getting Internet Explorer 11 and if Microsoft can somehow get WDDM 1.2 and 1.3 onto Windows 7 alongside DirectX 11.1 and 11.2 there would absolutely no reason for Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 8 and/or Windows 8.1 at all.

:p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
For the record, I find W8.1 to be less annoying than W8.

And still, this doesn’t stop users and analysts alike from criticizing Redmond for its strategy of putting touch ahead of the traditional way of working on a computer and involving a mouse and a keyboard.

In fact, this has been one of the most criticized aspects of the new Windows 8 platform, with Microsoft blasted with every single occasion by users who felt like being left of the company’s operating system lineup due to the plethora of touch-oriented features.

What a crock! How does "the plethora of touch-oriented features" get in the way of using mouse and/or keyboard in 8/8.1?! Especially in 8.1 with options to boot to Desktop and use All Apps instead of Start Screen. Personally, I never skipped a beat.

That's my point. The touch Oriented Features are not anti-Mouse/Keyboard. They work just fine.

On the desktop, it's really "fantastic" that the:

• Charms bar pops out and covers the window controls
  • Thumbnail bar pops out and covers any icons you may have on the left side of your screen
:doh:
At least MS allows you to eliminate those nuisances in W8.1.

The problem is, it's different. And people are resistant to change in these areas.

Again, it is not inaccurate to state that most people who harp on these changes haven't given much thought into how to use it.
It's not what I am used to, therefore it sucks.

The majority object to being forced to relearn how to do the tasks they already know how to do, just so some executive can receive a bigger bonus.

At least MS isn't as bad a Yahoo.
Those idiots have been changing the email page format every couple of months this past year.
A lot of users are extremely unimpressed (judging by the feedback page).

Much like going from Office2003 to 2007 or 2010, the Ribbon bar does in fact make the software a lot more useful and friendly. As it does in Explorer.

Eliminating the ability to have the Details and Preview panes open at the same time was another "fantastic" improvement.

Many of the things that one person said they wanted, will be hard pressed to get them incorporated.
Tabbed Explorer, Virtual Desktops, etc.
MS could barely include a web browser without getting sued, much less Anti-Virus. Please, stop with the fud.

MS is allowed to use tabs in IE and on the "Ribbon", but they're not allowed to use them in File Explorer?
:doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I just went back on Windows 7 despite having played with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 for a whole year.

Don't get me wrong Windows 8.1 is really good OS and IMHO a major update to Windows 8 but I'm tired of waiting for compatible drivers and software to get optimized and released for Windows 8.1 (if ever).

Metro UI is still just about 99% useless to me with the exception of surfing the web and checking for emails while being sand-boxed, there's also some games in Metro UI (so don't get me wrong).

Windows 7 is getting Internet Explorer 11 and if Microsoft can somehow get WDDM 1.2 and 1.3 onto Windows 7 alongside DirectX 11.1 and 11.2 there would absolutely no reason for Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 8 and/or Windows 8.1 at all.

This is the same thing that happened with Vista and that is why Windows 8/8.1 will be seen as a failure in a lot of people's minds. Imagine being somebody that does not have a clue how to get drivers (most of the public out there) you will be tearing your hair out and if you had been using Windows 7 successfully that is where you will return. Like the Vista users went back to XP or adopted Linux or bought a Mac.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics HD
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    128GB SSD, 128GB MicroSD
    Internet Speed
    8GB
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender
Hi there.

Here we go again with a load of meaningless statistics -- apart from the "bleedin obvious one" that so many people use OTHER devices such as mobile phones and tablets for a lot of internet consumption and don't really need a laptop / desktop any more.

You might just as well say the number of PHYSICAL stores (physical retail outlets) is declining -- obvious -- a lot of people don't want to go out in the cold and wet - traipse around stores for hours on end (especially men) and pay exhorbitant prices from parking to food and drink and everything else in between - or that the number of physical bank branches is diminishing -- how many people these days actually NEED to visit a bank.

Windows 8.1 will do OK on computers for those that need PC's -- it beats W8 hands down any way you care to name. Ms though doesn't depend on so much on Windows for its income any more either -- although of course it's an important revenue earner.

There isn't any evidence to support the notion that Ms is in terminal decline --in fact if you look at the Market performance of Ms stock over the last few months sentiment shows quite the reverse.

@Tepid - minimize the ribbon via CTRL+F1 if you don't want to see the huge ribbon in Office etc.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Bro, this is a great answer. I think if your computer doesn't have drivers for the next OS, that you should stay with the current one. I like 8.1 more than 7, but honestly, it isn't so completely different that I'd risk crashes in order to have it.

I'm with those who think these 'think tanks' are tanking on this one. They're trying to create drama where there is none, possibly to seem smarter or scare people

reminds me of something...

[video=youtube;316AzLYfAzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316AzLYfAzw[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3820 CPU OC @ 3.80GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator 16GB Quad Channel DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia by EVGA - GeForce GTX 670 4GB
    Sound Card
    On board Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer 24" H243H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Main 500GB Hybrid Drive @ 7,200RPM
    Secondary OCZ SSD Vertex 3 Max IOPS
    PSU
    Silent Pro 1000w gold 80+
    Case
    Azza Hurrican 2000
    Cooling
    Liquid CPU cooler & fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000
    Mouse
    Tek Republic Wired Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    5ms Ping 5.15Mb/s Download .64Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Defender, Malwarebytes
For me the mystery of Windows 8 is that seemingly intelligent people who complain about Metro/Win8 being no good for mouse and keyboard users/the OS being too touch-oriented/no start menu (*delete as appropriate) are actually just too stupid to find the tile that takes them to the desktop/configure boot to desktop and can't transfer the concept of a cascading menu system that is the Start button, to a row of icons on a "desktop" that essentially does the same thing, and uses that as a stick to beat Windows 8/8.1 and Microsoft with!

It's utterly baffling!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Shuttle SG33G5M
    CPU
    Intel Q8300
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 1066MHz
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
    2x500GB Seagate Barracuda
    Keyboard
    Logitech DiNovo Mini
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity 65 Mbps
People don't want to change their ways just because Microsoft wants to sell tablets?

Yep, totally baffling.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
Ruudford
...are actually just too stupid...

Yes that is right. If you make product that doesn't sell, blame the customers.

That is the way - you got it. :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I love MS products but cannot justify updating with every new version that comes along. My present computer is 3 years old, my wife's is 5 years old. We're going to just keep on keeping on.
Then why bother upgrading? My wife's old laptop runs Vista and it's just fine. I've simply left it as is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
People don't want to change their ways just because Microsoft wants to sell tablets?

Yep, totally baffling.

Hold on a minute: it's not Microsoft's fault that people don't want to change their ways. In fact, people HAVE changed their ways because they've moved away from the traditional desktops to the likes of the iPad and Android OSes and ecosystems. With Windows 8 Microsoft are just ensuring that they stay relevant in the marketplace because, as we've seen, sales of traditional desktop PCs have nosedived. This decline happened BEFORE Windows 8 came along because a) the need to upgrade has been seen by many as unnecessary and b) mobile devices have become a more versatile way of communicating and accessing information.

So who's actually complaining? Those savvy enough to have upgraded to Windows 8 in a desktop environment or have, unfortunately for them, bought a new PC just as the landscape is changing and reviewers who are feeding the frenzy of "OH NOES NO START BUTTON!!!!!!!!!11 LOLZ!!!"

Ultimately, the hardware will also change so what do Microsoft do? Stick with an OS that's out of date because the world has moved to touch (and, possibly, gesture) or move now knowing that in the short term you'll have a few people who are unhappy?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Shuttle SG33G5M
    CPU
    Intel Q8300
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 1066MHz
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
    Keyboard
    Logitech DiNovo Mini
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity 65 Mbps

Yep, totally baffling.

Hold on a minute: it's not Microsoft's fault that people don't want to change their ways. In fact, people HAVE changed their ways because they've moved away from the traditional desktops to the likes of the iPad and Android OSes and ecosystems. With Windows 8 Microsoft are just ensuring that they stay relevant in the marketplace because, as we've seen, sales of traditional desktop PCs have nosedived. This decline happened BEFORE Windows 8 came along because a) the need to upgrade has been seen by many as unnecessary and b) mobile devices have become a more versatile way of communicating and accessing information.

So who's actually complaining? Those savvy enough to have upgraded to Windows 8 in a desktop environment or have, unfortunately for them, bought a new PC just as the landscape is changing and reviewers who are feeding the frenzy of "OH NOES NO START BUTTON!!!!!!!!!11 LOLZ!!!"

Ultimately, the hardware will also change so what do Microsoft do? Stick with an OS that's out of date because the world has moved to touch (and, possibly, gesture) or move now knowing that in the short term you'll have a few people who are unhappy?

Right on, Bro! :thumbup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Ruudford
...are actually just too stupid...

Yes that is right. If you make product that doesn't sell, blame the customers.

That is the way - you got it. :thumbsup:

Hah!! Freakin' priceless....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Microsoft launched 2 operating system versions in the last 12 months, but this hasn’t stopped the overall market share of its platform from losing a few points every 30 days.

According to market researcher Net Applications, Windows now stands at 90.66 percent, while Mac OS X comes second with 7.73 percent. Linux is third with only 1.61 percent.

The difference between Windows and the other platforms is huge, but Microsoft’s operating system keeps losing points and this isn’t at all a good thing.

Only last month Windows declined from 90.81 percent to 90.66 percent, with the trend clearly showing a dropping market share for what it remains the number one operating system for desktop computers.

Windows started the year with a share of 91.71 percent, but gradually lost points as more users made the switch to other platforms.

Windows Loses Some Users Despite the Arrival of Windows 8.1

I think the first sentence says it ALL: 2 OSes in 12 months.

When Vista was a huge migraine and disappointment, they properly reacted by releasing Windows 7 - But only after one whole year of Vista!

But Windows 8 for me has been NO Vista, I have been totally happy with it since I installed it and made it my default OS. People complained about "No Start Button" Which MEANT "No Start Menu" but MS decided to interpret as "Put a Link to the Start Screen there, instead of a working Program Menu"

Easily fixed by installing Start 8 and Classic Shell. This should never ever have been a full OS, it should have been a Service pack. But since MS was making another whole new OS, they decided to re-write some of the major Tile Apps, and make them less than useful.

OK so they made 8.1. But now, it is as if, in MS's book, Windows 8 DOES NOT EXIST anymore... They are Calling Windows 8.1 "Windows 8" but it is far from 8, the only similarity is that there is a Start Screen like Windows 8, that's it. The Entire Desktop was redesigned and the MS Tiles stripped of Hub Functions.

But in the long run, it is not that "Microsoft has Lost Windows Users" - They lost Windows 8 and 8.1 users who are re-installing 7 now with renewed, relentless Vigor.

I don't think they are all moving to OSX, I think Linux is having a heyday.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.

Yep, totally baffling.

I'm not sure whether you're being sarcastic!:think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Shuttle SG33G5M
    CPU
    Intel Q8300
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 1066MHz
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
    Keyboard
    Logitech DiNovo Mini
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity 65 Mbps

Right on, Bro! :thumb:

I'm not sure whether you're being sarcastic!:think:

Lol! Perhaps the translation was lost through the years. Not being sarcastic whatsoever. When an/this old Hippie says "right on, Bro!" with thumbs up it means I totally agree. In fact, I couldn't have put it better myself. Good job! I guess you haven't read a lot of my posts. I'm one of the biggest proponents of 8/8.1 along with many others on this forum.

Keep on keeping on!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
They are Calling Windows 8.1 "Windows 8" but it is far from 8, the only similarity is that there is a Start Screen like Windows 8, that's it. The Entire Desktop was redesigned and the MS Tiles stripped of Hub Functions.
Hmmm...gotta look harder at 8.1 because i don't see much difference from Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I have seen it described as a lick of paint. In fact, it is a disguise. MS are trying to make to make it less repellant. It might work for them. If the forums are anything to go by, most seem to think it is all about a strange cobbling together of UIs. Not many actually grasp what it is all for.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Yep, totally baffling.

haha yeah, this is a great point, The double standard is not really baffling, it's irritating.

So,, all these people can figure out how to use a smartphone and get all their apps working with all these different iterations in OS's across smart phones and tablets (android and ios) but Win8 is just too much?

that's like saying "My Teleprompter misspoke, not me."
Now that's both baffling an irritating.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K