WINDOWS INSTALLER HOG & HIDDEN ... DiskCleaner kudos

tgivaughn

Due to 2013 ASUS gaming computer Best Buy with awesome performance even in 2021, was running out a C: drive space and fast with NO CLUES, thanks MS?!?!?!
Years of moving to more generous D: drive, also w/o OS hogging features, many cannot be trashed (e.g. MS games never to be played WinApps), lots of worries.

Thank YOU Aussie DiskCleaner, the only helper with Windows Installer graveyard HOG.
Most reviews tout 17-20GB max disk space recovery, mine today was over 60GB

My Masters Degree, Emeritus professional status/licenses and certainly my BBA Management all certify my opinion this was not just self-centered irresponsibility, lack of customer welfare but extreme poor software design that easily passed incompetent supervisor filters. Else this was a dark side plan all about profits and possibly crashing older computers and selling new OS in the bargain. The latter ploy is supported by NOT having a choice with EDGE installation & disk hogging and other ploys in past decades.

As for me, I will never Apple OS (so invasive) and found Google, esp. Google Earth prime Installer hogs so my favorite 3rd party software that works on windows will be fed this OS regardless .. .even though I have few as possible MS software hogs.

MS could have posted a fix for their INSTALLER mess (even though ASUS poorly managed these disk partitions) .... from the ghacks.net website

Henk van Setten said on December 13, 2015 at 1:43 pm
If you’re short on system space (let’s say with a small SSD system drive C: and a large D: data drive with lots of free space) then a safer solution might be this:
(step 1) Get full ownership rights for the C:\Windows\Installer folder.
(step 2) Move the entire folder with all its contents to the D: drive, so now you have a D:\Installer folder.
(step 3) Make a junction (symbolic link) from the original location to the new location, by entering this command in an admin command prompt window:
mklink /j “C:\Windows\Installer” “D:\Installer”
As a result, Windows will “think” that all the Installer content is still present on the C: system drive, while actually it’s been moved to the D: drive. Windows will still be able to access this moved Installer folder with no problems at all, and it will write any new installer files to that folder at its new location.
For space-saving on the system drive, this solution is safer because you won’t need to actually delete any Installer files. Windows can still find and use them all, even though they are physically on a different drive now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1-64
Thanks for the tip. However, I just checked the installer directory on my 3-year old Windows 8 install,
and it's only 120 MB.
I'm inferring from your post yours must have been quite a bit bigger

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 4300
    Motherboard
    Asrock 960gc-gs
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Browser
    Firefox
Thank you for reading an responding. Obviously you are not a candidate to have such a problem as this computer =
>EIGHT years old
>Design studio workhorse
>Many 3rd party software trials and removals
>Google Earth .msi hogs aplenty
>Billing, accounting, timesheet, communications, design support files, client files
>Huge email storage such as Juno & Windows "Live Mail" (ugh)

Ergo, not much of a .msi load hog to be a problem yet
on an ASUS poorly managed format of partitions, e.g. 149GB C: drive on a 1,000GB hard drive?!?!?!? ASUS + WIN8.1 geniuses "trying" to please customers???

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1-64
The Battle of the Bloat is an ongoing saga. I don't expect it shall change any time soon. Back in the day when every bit and byte of storage was critical programmers found very creative ways of using and reusing the same lines of code. Nowadays that isn't done anymore. They just keep writing on top of the old foundations and let them rot underneath while they gradually find their way to corruption. Eventually your PC gets sick and needs a good purging. There are laxatives out there, some good, some not as good. One way around it is to make a drive image and keep it in cold storage for when you're ready to make a fresh install and start over. Oh dear, have I said too much? 😕

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Linux Mint and more
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    X99 E-WS USB 3.1, CROSSHAIR HERO VIII
    Memory
    128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR, 32 GB TEAM GROUP T FORCE
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 1070, SAPPHIRE RX 590 NITRO+
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    :::GRINS::: SERIOUSLY?
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
Thank YOU Aussie DiskCleaner, the only helper with Windows Installer graveyard HOG.
Most reviews tout 17-20GB max disk space recovery, mine today was over 60GB

My Masters Degree, Emeritus professional status/licenses and certainly my BBA Management all certify my opinion this was not just self-centered irresponsibility, lack of customer welfare but extreme poor software design that easily passed incompetent supervisor filters. Else this was a dark side plan all about profits and possibly crashing older computers and selling new OS in the bargain. The latter ploy is supported by NOT having a choice with EDGE installation & disk hogging and other ploys in past decades. This is quite frustrating for me, since I only have one working computer and all the important information is on it. I remember being very nervous writing several abortion essays examples for my research https://papersowl.com/examples/abortion/ My system was very slow. I managed to back up all my paperwork but I'm considering buying a backup computer as the old system slows my laptop down a lot and if it stops working it will be a disaster.

As for me, I will never Apple OS (so invasive) and found Google, esp. Google Earth prime Installer hogs so my favorite 3rd party software that works on windows will be fed this OS regardless .. .even though I have few as possible MS software hogs.

MS could have posted a fix for their INSTALLER mess (even though ASUS poorly managed these disk partitions) .... from the ghacks.net website

Henk van Setten said on December 13, 2015 at 1:43 pm
If you’re short on system space (let’s say with a small SSD system drive C: and a large D: data drive with lots of free space) then a safer solution might be this:
(step 1) Get full ownership rights for the C:\Windows\Installer folder.
(step 2) Move the entire folder with all its contents to the D: drive, so now you have a D:\Installer folder.
(step 3) Make a junction (symbolic link) from the original location to the new location, by entering this command in an admin command prompt window:
mklink /j “C:\Windows\Installer” “D:\Installer”
As a result, Windows will “think” that all the Installer content is still present on the C: system drive, while actually it’s been moved to the D: drive. Windows will still be able to access this moved Installer folder with no problems at all, and it will write any new installer files to that folder at its new location.
For space-saving on the system drive, this solution is safer because you won’t need to actually delete any Installer files. Windows can still find and use them all, even though they are physically on a different drive now.

I agree with you, I think everyone should understand this even without a master's degree))) Of course you have to buy new computers and new software. And so the old OS cannot work forever, because the company needs a profit.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
I guess it's inevitable, that when I hear someone lamenting about their system slowing down due to the Bloat of junk created by their browsers and a few other programs, I just say "Dude! Clean up your mess!".
I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I could spend hours and pages of text, explaining how to get rid of all sorts of temporary files. But then, I've already done that, on this and several other forums, so I'll not do it again here.
But, just let me say, that I wrote a little Cleanup program in DOS Batch language, that in one day can delete 82,ooo junk files.

Clean 1-27-23.jpg

And, that was just one day, out of a week.
My computer has never run better.
:cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core