Solved Windows false hard drive problem message

sverne

My "new"Lenovo B50 keeps displaying a Windows box with "windows detected a hard drive problem...please back up now."
I have scanned 2X and there is no objective error.
I learned that using "gpedit.msc" will disable this warning, but since I have a home 8.1 edition, this was missing. Long story short, I downloaded an add gpedit program, which installed previously missing Group Policy>Administrative Templates>System but am still unable to edit the hard drive error notification--there is no troubleshooting or diagnostic tab, which would allow this.
Did I download an incomplete app or am I not looking in the right part of Group Policy, or is there an completely different procedure to stop the message?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1
A WD diagnostic brings up "relocated sector count/ bad sectors", while scannow and chkdsk were clean.
Assuming WD is correct, this would be a legitimate reason for Windows to detect error--but this seems to be a common fault on 8.
Is there an app to probe deeper or repair the sectors?
Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1
It turns out that the Windows error is actually correct, and I will be installing a new HD shortly.
I used a very promising free hard drive tool--Victoria 4.72 (available at Softpedia or Major Geeks), which immediately found the SMART errors. I then tried refreshing and remapping with this app (takes a while), but it could not repair, as I guess the HD has physical damage.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1
Back