• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved Windows false hard drive problem message

sverne

My "new"Lenovo B50 keeps displaying a Windows box with "windows detected a hard drive problem...please back up now."
I have scanned 2X and there is no objective error.
I learned that using "gpedit.msc" will disable this warning, but since I have a home 8.1 edition, this was missing. Long story short, I downloaded an add gpedit program, which installed previously missing Group Policy>Administrative Templates>System but am still unable to edit the hard drive error notification--there is no troubleshooting or diagnostic tab, which would allow this.
Did I download an incomplete app or am I not looking in the right part of Group Policy, or is there an completely different procedure to stop the message?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1

sverne

A WD diagnostic brings up "relocated sector count/ bad sectors", while scannow and chkdsk were clean.
Assuming WD is correct, this would be a legitimate reason for Windows to detect error--but this seems to be a common fault on 8.
Is there an app to probe deeper or repair the sectors?
Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1

sverne

It turns out that the Windows error is actually correct, and I will be installing a new HD shortly.
I used a very promising free hard drive tool--Victoria 4.72 (available at Softpedia or Major Geeks), which immediately found the SMART errors. I then tried refreshing and remapping with this app (takes a while), but it could not repair, as I guess the HD has physical damage.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)