$Windows.~ directory

exscentric

Has anyone determined for sure what it is for. It is left after 8.1 installs. Early some thought you could move it to other computers to avoid the 3.2gig download but it only has 3-400 meg.

It took me8 hours to download/install. Not going to do that for four more units.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
There was mention of the possibility yesterday but nothing definite was posted. May do some trials tomorrow if noone posts. It has an auto inf fill as well as a setup file. I'm thinking it may just the basics that will install
basic sruff then download the drivers etc, but just guessing at this point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
Just copied the files to another puter and ran the setup file and got an error related to not finding autorun.dll. Burned files to dvd and got the same result. Dosen't look like it was what I had hoped for.

Edit: I was thinking maybe this was a rescue disk of some sort so ran it on the machine which it was made on - not so, it gave the same error so I have no idea what it is for. I also attempted to run the setup from the hard drive and same error message.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
thumb_Hidden_Folder.jpg

$Facepalm.~BT

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus R510L
    CPU
    i7 4510U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 820M
    Sound Card
    Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Supreme; Emotiva UMC-200; Astell & Kern AK240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 42LH5000
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB internal; 45TB external
    PSU
    Li-ion
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech G400
    Internet Speed
    20Mbit/s up, 200Mbit/s down
    Browser
    IE 11
C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old - Microsoft Community says it is part of the windows.old system to revert to windows 8.

Well that's certainly not what you want.

Updated another rig overnight, guess that is what I will have to do for three more, rather nice of Microsoft to cause people so much wasted time by not offering a dvd to those with slow connections/multiple computers.

Should not be surprised, but wonder if they think about how good Ubuntu is getting and how much time wasted/trouble they cause people. I would have switched several years ago if I didn't NEED a couple of windows programs.

Off to updates :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
Back