Windows couldn't connect to the group policy service

chris98

No idea how this happened. Just turned my Computer off, started it yesterday, and got this error. Turned it off several more times and back on again and I'm still getting it.

Had a look around and found a few potential solutions. I tried an sfc/ scannow but that hasn't done a thing to fix it. Found a registry trick, but I'm not confident enough in the registry editor to make any changed that may be needed and don't really know what I'm doing in this specific circumstance.

This is the trick though that I found. Not sure if anyone could shed some light on how useful this may be?

1.Open regedit
2.Navigate to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SVCHOST
3.Create multi-string value named GPSvcGroup and assign it value GPSvc
4.Create a key (a folder) and name it GPSvcGroup
5.Open the newly-created GPSvcGroup folder and create 2 DWORD values: •First called AuthenticationCapabilities with a value of 0x00003020 (or 12320 in decimal)
•Second is called CoInitializeSecurityParam with a value of 1
6.Reboot
After doing this, my Group Policy Client service is running when I boot up

I also found a trick to reset my wireless adapter in the command line, but I DO NOT want to do this. It WILL break my wireless communication, and it's an absolute nightmare to get working again. I've only just managed to get it into a somewhat stable condition. Another thing to note, I have no system restores available (and wouldn't really want to use that option even if I could as I have software that is only just working as well).

The symptoms of the problem range from massively delayed actions, to slow Windows Explorer, to no right click in some places, to sound being massively delayed if playing at all, to MP3 files .etc. loading very slowly, to streaming being slow and often being interrupted.

Everything is stored on my local machine only. From the error message, I did try to take a look at the event logs, but wasn't sure what I was looking for.

I've attached a copy of the exact error message I'm getting. This occurs every time I login, as soon as my desktop loads up.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• windows.png
    windows.png
    12 KB · Views: 86

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malware Bytes Pro/Microsoft Defender
So I've just tried to do the registry trick and it hasn't done a thing. I've also uninstalled Chrome (had to do it manually) and this hasn't done anything either. I then ran another sfc scan, and that still hasn't done anything.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Internet Speed
    Really bad
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malware Bytes Pro/Microsoft Defender
Ok, so I found a slightly different registry solution as the above does not work. See: All About Boats... So it goes...: Group Policy Client Services Error Windows 8.1 [FIXED]

The video there shows you to do this. At first, everything was fine for me, other than the parameters had a capital I in the registry keys. I couldn't actually do anything without deleting that whole key and re-creating it because for some odd reason it thought it already existed.

I followed the steps they did in that tutorial by pressing backspace at the end line (a few times), and for some reason ...... it appears (though I don't want to jinx it) to be working again. It's an absolute miracle.

I'm going to stop short of marking the thread as solved at the moment, purely because I'm convinced that it will probably happen again, and I've only turned my PC on once since it happened. Also, when it states in the video to restart your computer, you must actually restart it. Not shutdown and turn on again - that didn't work either.

It's just so wacky and odd. Fingers crossed, it continues to work .....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    CPU
    2.90 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3