Windows Blue - small look at leaked build 9364

[video=youtube;-OPCW6ozaM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-OPCW6ozaM0#![/video]

Leaked Windows Blue build 9364 reveals multiple Live Tile sizes, same-width side-by-side apps

Notable adjustments include larger and smaller Live Tiles, enabling a bit more Start screen customization, along with an updated side-by-side app view, which boosts multitasking efficiency by displaying two applications with matching width. Other additions include a Play option under the Devices panel, a screenshot button on the Share sidebar, and Internet Explorer 11, which comes packaged with the new OS.

also saw even better skydrive integration. still a work in progress as they use a number of placeholders.

Thankfully my superannuation fund diversifies and, from what I know, does not invest to any significant degree in tech companies, as they are some of the most risky enterprises ever, even if they have been having a bull run for some years.

Microsoft shareholders may have reason to be a tad worried at the moment, given the rousing response (not) that Windows 8 has received so far.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Hi, Jimbo, What about Micrososft being embarrassed with private softwares which undo what they do? Softwares which allow users to completely ignore the existance of Metro UI and apps for instance?
Are you sure that Micrososft want to keep the same flexibility as in previous versions of Windows™?
Of course that would be a very bad decision commercialy and for the shareholders. But our criticism is just about that: They do make very bad decisions.
Have you seen how they advertise new computers, sporting the Metro Start Screen? No wonder nobody buys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Even Apple makes mistakes:

A statement Apple posted in Chinese to its website on Monday said the complaints had prompted "deep reflection" and persuaded the company of the need to revamp its repair policies, boost communication with Chinese consumers and strengthen oversight of authorised resellers.

"We've come to understand through this process that because of our poor communication, some have come to feel that Apple's attitude is arrogant and that we don't care about or value feedback from the consumer," Cook's Chinese statement said, as translated by The Associated Press.

"For the concerns and misunderstandings passed on to the consumer, we express our sincere apologies."

Apple apologises after China state media attacks its 'arrogance' | Information, Gadgets, Mobile Phones News & Reviews | News.com.au

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I actually prefer Metro on my Surface Pro. I like that I have the option for both. Getting a program to undo something like the start screen isn't a high priority to a lot of people. Absolutely not me.

So before some of you go on about what people don't like, think about the MANY that do like it before spewing your junk around.

There will always be hacks to change things like you have at your disposal if you want. People need to quit :cry: already.:haha:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
I actually prefer Metro on my Surface Pro. I like that I have the option for both. Getting a program to undo something like the start screen isn't a high priority to a lot of people. Absolutely not me.

So before some of you go on about what people don't like, think about the MANY that do like it before spewing your junk around.

There will always be hacks to change things like you have at your disposal if you want. People need to quit :cry: already.:haha:

It would appear that people actually want things like the start button back, else companies wouldn't be doing such a roaring trade with the likes of Classic Shell, Start8 etc. Some people just seems to be spewing on their own shoes by denying this.

In case that's hard to believe: Download Statistics: All Files. That's just for one week,

My Computer

System One

• OS

It would appear that people actually want things like the start button back, else companies wouldn't be doing such a roaring trade with the likes of Classic Shell, Start8 etc. Some people just seems to be spewing on their own shoes by denying this.

In case that's hard to believe: Download Statistics: All Files. That's just for one week,

If you look at the numbers from companies that product a start menu replacement, it's a small percentage compared to the rest of the known Windows 8 sales numbers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

If you look at the numbers from companies that product a start menu replacement, it's a small percentage compared to the rest of the known Windows 8 sales numbers.

Over 4,000,000 downloads of Classic Shell alone is not small bikkies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi there
I really have only 3 complaints against Windows 8

1) Tile customisation is still not very good.

2) On a large monitor with a lot of applications endless horizontal scrolling is not a good or even convenient idea -- I know this can be "got round" via using custom toolbars etc but really it should be able to have say a SINGLE tile say Adobe CS2 which then expands into the various components say Photoshop, dreamweaver etc.

3) Metro apps -- must be made to be "Windowable" with re-sizeable windows -- otherwise these are totally a waste of time on a desktop / laptop with LARGE external monitors.

If you don't use Metro - then points 1 and 2 are easily "by-passable" by not bothering with the start screen after initial boot -- and the SEARCH facility is far superior to W7 - just type and the application is found easily -- actually a lot better than searching a large "Classic menu" once you get the hang of it.

W8 won't be anything like as bad for Ms as pundits say it is -- in any case look at the current Ms stock price --it's not doing badly and moving in the right direction whereas AAPL (Apple) has dropped by around 50% over the last 52 weeks.

@Ray8.

The 4,000,000 downloads is another case of "Statistic Misuse". Loads of people download stuff, possibly try it and then don't use it.

I tried Classic Shell initially -- Ok it did "what it said on the tin" but after a little while having learned W8 a bit more I just decided I didn't really need it any more and uninstalled it. I'm sure there are loads of others in this or similar situations so number of downloads doesn't equate to number of users. Humans are naturally curious too so if something is available for FREE there's no harm in them trying it.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I don't quite understand why 'search' is such a grand thing over the start button/menu in Windows 7. Any experienced user of Windows (of any flavour) will have pinned frequently used programs to the taskbar/desktop, more oft used programs to the start menu and less used programs in the 'all programs' drop-down menu. I don't see what's difficult whatsoever with that concept. Search also works with Windows 7 if you're looking for something that is very infrequently used.

The Windows 7 style start menu etc is just so logical and easy to use. It's no different to how a good kitchen is organised with all the implements, cooking tools, food, spices etc in their most accessible and logical locations, and able to be changed to how one likes to use a kitchen. I get the feeling that the Windows 8 start menu was designed by people who never actually cook anything, but simply eat out or order takeaway their entire lives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
@Ray8.

The 4,000,000 downloads is another case of "Statistic Misuse". Loads of people download stuff, possibly try it and then don't use it.

I tried Classic Shell initially -- Ok it did "what it said on the tin" but after a little while having learned W8 a bit more I just decided I didn't really need it any more and uninstalled it. I'm sure there are loads of others in this or similar situations so number of downloads doesn't equate to number of users. Humans are naturally curious too so if something is available for FREE there's no harm in them trying it.

Cheers
jimbo

It may be, but companies like Stardock wouldn't be in business if their products weren't in demand (you pay for their products).

My Computer

System One

• OS
@Ray8.

Cheers
jimbo

It may be, but companies like Stardock wouldn't be in business if their products weren't in demand (you pay for their products).

Hi there
@Ray8
Your statement is correct about Stardock -- BUT if you READ your original post about the 4,000,000 downloads --these are TWO totally different points.

You could still SELL a product even if it were only needed by 10 people. I'm sure Stardock meets a demand but I doubt whether their number of customers is anything like 4,000,000.

I think you'd have a hard time in Court as you tend to introduce totally spurious evidence into the original point you are making

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
@Ray8
Your statement is correct about Stardock -- BUT if you READ your original post about the 4,000,000 downloads --these are TWO totally different points.

You could still SELL a product even if it were only needed by 10 people. I'm sure Stardock meets a demand but I doubt whether their number of customers is anything like 4,000,000.

I think you'd have a hard time in Court as you tend to introduce totally spurious evidence into the original point you are making

Cheers
jimbo

I specifically stated, so that no one would confuse what program I was referring to:

Obviously that was not clear enough. Sigh! If nothing else, it reflects a degree of interest, if not final use.

I then made a statement about Stardock, which reinforced the argument that people indeed do want the traditional start menu, as they are prepared to pay for such a thing. I should have also searched for more evidence of its popularity, so that those looking for any trivial excuse to suggest my argument is crap would have to go looking for other rabbit holes. So here you go:

Stardock launched the first public beta of its Start8 program for Windows 8 nearly a year ago and it was designed to bring a version of the familiar Start menu UI to the Windows 8 desktop interface. In October, the company released the first commercial version of Start8. Today, Stardock CEO Brad Wardell told Neowin that the program has had 3 million downloads since the commercial launch and that it currently "sells thousands of copies a day."

Stardock: 3 million Start8 downloads; version 1.1 launched - Neowin

When you come to a gun fight, don't bring a plastic knife.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Conclusion: They have purchased and use 8 any which way. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
OK, I have installed the Windows Blue on my new Seagate drive....well then! Installation was rather quick for sure. About 10 minutes.

Baby tiles are FREAKING AWESOME on the Start Screen! But it's still glitchy to move the small tiles around.

PC Settings is basically like almost a fifth or a quarter of the Control Panel.

The most coolest thing I'd say about Windows Blue is the fact that the 32 bit version literally occupies about 7 gigs of space, YES, 7 gigs of space! The only time I've ever seen that happen is when you fit a 32 bit Windows into an 8 gig partition, this was a whole 900 some gigs of free space. Well done!

I'll post some fun screenshots of it when I'm back on my normal Windows 8 as it seems I can't upload them in Blue....

Also, I'd say Blue is what Windows 8 should had been FROM THE START, better coloring options, baby tiles, better arranging of such, a better PC Settings and on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
from everything I have been reading, is windows blue going to be an upgrade (free) like a service pack? that we can put on our windows 8 Pro computers now?
If not, does that mean we will have to pay to upgrade windows 8 Pro now? or are we stuck with what we got and we would have to purchase another computer to get it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
I'll post some fun screenshots of it when I'm back on my normal Windows 8 as it seems I can't upload them in Blue....

Strange. I've been using it to post and upload in some forums without problem.

Also, I'd say Blue is what Windows 8 should had been FROM THE START, better coloring options, baby tiles, better arranging of such, a better PC Settings and on.

Yes. That's something that M$ must be working on. It's crucial that people have the ability to fully configure their PCs from the new UI. If M$ don't go this way Blue wont be unlike a minor SP.

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
Conclusion: They have purchased and use 8 any which way. :)

Could be they don't like it and are getting some relief from 3rd party fixes.

They aren't using it the way MS intended.

It's probably not that easy or obvious to many how to return/upgrade 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Which is still kind of small versus 65 million known sold licenses of Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
from everything I have been reading, is windows blue going to be an upgrade (free) like a service pack? that we can put on our windows 8 Pro computers now?
If not, does that mean we will have to pay to upgrade windows 8 Pro now? or are we stuck with what we got and we would have to purchase another computer to get it?

No one knows yet, but most likely it will be a download from the Windows Store. I would imagine it might be a paid upgrade, but might have an early promotion offer like when Windows 8 launched when it was 40 dollars. Windows Blue might be the same thing, although new .iso images to download probably will have Blue already in it, so it could be a massive service pack with balls.

You need a Windows 8 PC to begin with to really understand Windows 8, or at least the proper peripherals of something with touch gesturing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Strange. I've been using it to post and upload in some forums without problem.

Yes. That's something that M$ must be working on. It's crucial that people have the ability to fully configure their PCs from the new UI. If M$ don't go this way Blue wont be unlike a minor SP.

:)

It might had been because I was in the high contrast theme....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back