Windows Blue - small look at leaked build 9364

[video=youtube;-OPCW6ozaM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-OPCW6ozaM0#![/video]

Leaked Windows Blue build 9364 reveals multiple Live Tile sizes, same-width side-by-side apps

Notable adjustments include larger and smaller Live Tiles, enabling a bit more Start screen customization, along with an updated side-by-side app view, which boosts multitasking efficiency by displaying two applications with matching width. Other additions include a Play option under the Devices panel, a screenshot button on the Share sidebar, and Internet Explorer 11, which comes packaged with the new OS.

also saw even better skydrive integration. still a work in progress as they use a number of placeholders.

I'm glad there are updates but these are things that should have been there since the launch of windows 8 which means windows 8 was not quite ready at launch. The 50% side by side thing with metro stuff should have been there since the beginning. I've used it in the 1/3 and 2/3 format and it's just kind of bad and there are a lot of stuff you cannot access at that size but that's probably more to the metro apps design than the operating system. I would prefer they had a better replacement for the start menu's removal. I use only the desktop and going into the start screen creates a jarring environment. For touch I will admit it's much more touch capable but for the mouse I don't want to scroll horizontally for icons. That app list flip is handy but nothing special. So far the improvements are nothing interesting or all that helpful. The navigational aspect still needs work and the interface still needs work. Hopefully it will be address before this is released.

My Computer

Hi there
What's wrong with people -- if you don't LIKE W8 stay with W7. Who now these days insists that say Sony still provide drivers for Minidiscs - even though at the time these were EXCELLENT high quality recording devices.

The planet has moved on -- if you still need an old Dinosaur Desktop --and apparently a load of people still want it -- what on EARTH is wrong with staying primarily with an successful and popular OS designed for that purpose (W7) --Ms has said that support will continue to around 2020 !! so what's the problem guys --if you don't like the new OS don't use it --your previous OS isn't going away any time soon.

Cheers
jimbo

People are fully capable of deciding what they like, and are perfectly within their rights to make decisions about their preferences... and to express those opinions regardless of outbursts like the one above. No one here ought be suppressing other peoples opinions.
Although it just seems pointless to complain about something you don't use, don't plan on using, or just don't care for. Complain, and move along. Those who care and have valid concerns I find matter more than those who complain about it ALL the time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I have to say, ummm, duh, the Blue update focuses more on the metro UI aspect. Why would it not?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I have to say, ummm, duh, the Blue update focuses more on the metro UI aspect. Why would it not?

For sure !

Many new options/itens in "Metro Settings". That was what Metro needed... A way to do things without the need to turn to desktop every time.

Home:
Home.png

Devices:
PCInfo.png

Network:
Network.png

Apps:
Appz.png

Privacy:
PrivCust.png

Ops... A BUG !
BUG.jpg

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
Let alone the fact that there is a metro File Explorer app being developed for touch, PC Settings is possibly becoming the new metro styled Control Panel; and along with a few other touch gestures on Start that seems like it's used with touch enabled devices. It's exciting, this seems like the software of Windows will be pushing the touch hardware further, OEMs have little choice but to have more touch PC offerings, not that they already haven't been trying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Hi there
@SIW2 - I think we've all heard your views "Ad Nauseam" on W8 --fine if you hate it

However for those of us that have differing views - this is a W8 Forum and we want to make people who DO USE W8 to try and get the best out of it.

If you hate it so much why don't you disappear into the great BLUE YONDER on to a Forum that you DO LIKE.

We all know there are features we would like to change or features we miss -- but as this is a W8 FORUM then most of us will try and help users either fix something broken or do the best we can to provide get arounds for the features they miss until (and if) Ms bring those back.

W7 is remaining around until 2020 if you want those features -- no reason to change immediately -- after all plenty of people (including businesses) stayed with XP for YEARS after W7 was introduced and even now loads of businesses don't have any intention to change to W8.

Let the people here get on with solving W8 issues and just get back to W7 if that's what you want - or Ubunto etc etc.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

For sure !

Many new options/itens in "Metro Settings". That was what Metro needed... A way to do things without the need to turn to desktop every time.

Home:
View attachment 18991

Devices:
View attachment 18992

Network:
View attachment 18993

Apps:
View attachment 18994

Privacy:
View attachment 18995

Ops... A BUG !
View attachment 18996

Hi there
mine runs fine -- I'm in a VM though -- I don't get that bug. I 'm using a 2GB VM for testing -- W7 themes also install fine but of course you get the Ms disclaimer ("Evaluation" version" on the desktop). Using the new Library theme (W7) ==>great one !!

Will try Office 2010 later and see how customisable the Standard App tiles are.

I like IE11 as well so far

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• w8aa.png
    w8aa.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 154
  • w8bb.png
    w8bb.png
    366.9 KB · Views: 153

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
It's a good thing this is a Windows 8 forum where criticism etc can be freely discussed, even though a few blowhards want to silence dissenting views. Even Microsoft on their official forum doesn't attempt to silence criticism of Windows 8.

However, it very interesting that Dvorak is citing the very same concerns that are being voiced on this forum. It appears that the tide of dissent is rising.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
What the pro 8 crowd seems to miss, or, more likely ignore, is that most of the discontent is directed not at the os, not even at the metro interface, but rather at the lack of built in choice, which many of us view as the height of hubris. And, keep in mind that at least anecdotally we, not the pro metro crowd represent the majority. We also realize that the only way to affect change, is to continue to raise hell. So I do suggest you get used to it, cuz we're in this for the long haul....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

Hi there
@SIW2 - I think we've all heard your views "Ad Nauseam" on W8 --fine if you hate it

However for those of us that have differing views - this is a W8 Forum and we want to make people who DO USE W8 to try and get the best out of it.

If you hate it so much why don't you disappear into the great BLUE YONDER on to a Forum that you DO LIKE.

We all know there are features we would like to change or features we miss -- but as this is a W8 FORUM then most of us will try and help users either fix something broken or do the best we can to provide get arounds for the features they miss until (and if) Ms bring those back.

W7 is remaining around until 2020 if you want those features -- no reason to change immediately -- after all plenty of people (including businesses) stayed with XP for YEARS after W7 was introduced and even now loads of businesses don't have any intention to change to W8.

Let the people here get on with solving W8 issues and just get back to W7 if that's what you want - or Ubunto etc etc.

Cheers
jimbo

Ditto

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics HD
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    128GB SSD, 128GB MicroSD
    Internet Speed
    8GB
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender
:)Hi there
mine runs fine -- I'm in a VM though -- I don't get that bug. I 'm using a 2GB VM for testing -- W7 themes also install fine but of course you get the Ms disclaimer ("Evaluation" version" on the desktop). Using the new Library theme (W7) ==>great one !!

Cheers
jimbo

Hi Jimbo. Mine is running in a 2GB VM too (VBOX 4.2).

VMSettings.jpg

I want to see what all those under building pages reserve. I hope we have more leaks in the near future !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Ditto

X2.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
:)Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Hi Jimbo. Mine is running in a 2GB VM too (VBOX 4.2).

View attachment 19015

I want to see what all those under building pages reserve. I hope we have more leaks in the near future !

Thanks to all those that have installed to be able to give us others the wonderful info. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hi there
@Vrosa can you try and see if you can attach a USB drive / stick to your VM
I can't get a USB drive to attach to mine -- USB disconnects from Host and I hear the "Ping" as the new hardware is attached to the VM - but I always get an error "USB device connection unsuccessful - driver

W8 with a "Normal" W8 VM works fine as do earlier OS'es so I suspect there's something in the USB connectivity in this build. - I'm going to test W8 blue on a stand alone laptop to see if it's a VM connectivity problem or a problem with W8 Blue.

(Host machine W8 x-64 Enterprise - VM - W8 blue x-86). Vm software - vmware workstation release 9.01.

Cheers

Jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I attached a HP1005 printer and Asus P5W Wireless adapter successfully. Both were recognized correctly. I'm on VBOX though.

Host >> Windows 8 Pro x64
Guest >> Windows Blue x86

Installing Printer.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
Hi there
Thanks for the info --
Found the error -- I had a USB3 PCI card that wasn't plugged in properly --unplugged and re-booted both the Host and VM - now it's fine again. The USB3 card has my USB3 hub attached -- It's too awkward using the USB2 slots on the computer as this has a large case on the floor and I don't want cables all over the place --the USB 3 4-port hub works fine and is easily accessible on my desk.

You can see where I had the hardware "error"

Just installing Office 2010 now to see what the setup is like.

Thanks again for your info

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• usb.png
    usb.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 154

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I've just installed and activated Office 2013 trial.

I noticed that the way to rename groups and customize tiles has changed. I liked the new way !

Customize Metro.png

Rename.png

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
Hi there
Windows defender and Office 2010 (32 bit) update just fine on Windows 8 Blue via Windows update. Office 2010 activated OK (It's a VL version anyway).

I'll try Language packs next.

So far so good.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• office2010.png
    office2010.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 194

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Yes, WD and MSO2013 updates are coming via Blue WU.

Windows Update Inst.png

Language Packs arent avaiable for b9364 :(

Language Pack Unavaiable.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop