Windows 9 Could Kill Metro Completely, Unify Tablet, Mobil

It appears that Microsoft could use the upcoming version of its software to unify the two mobile operating systems it currently supports, so tablets and mobile phones could be powered by the same software.

A report by UnwiredView.com
claims that Microsoft’s recently announced reorganization represented one step forward towards a unique operating system that could be installed on both mobile phones and tablets released next year.

Even though it sounds fairly impossible, word is that Microsoft could even abandon the Metro UI in the next Windows Phone version, or at least get a major redesign that would make it more user-friendly.
Windows 9 Could Kill Metro Completely, Unify Tablet, Mobile OSes ? Report

So is Microsoft following Apple's and Google's approach to phones and tablets? Took them long enough. :sleepy: iOS began on a phone, then later it was easily adapted to a tablet. Android began on a phone, then it went onto tablets. For developers, it makes their lives easier since its the same OS and you can code for an app that both runs on a phone and tablet. Then you'll see your app store grow throughout the years.

I'm not sure what Microsoft was thinking but I believe their original idea was to create Windows 8, and expand it to tablets and later to phones. In other words, they wanted to run a bloated OS on a tablet and on a phone. I guess they like working backwards.

If you look at the Surface RT 32GB, it already consumes 16GB for Windows. So much for optimizing their own tablet.

Yes, but the experience on a windows rt tablet is much much much better than any android or iOS device out there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
My Mother in law has an old Android and a new one
These things are garbage.

The new Win Phones smoke them for ease of use and functionality

As for anyone screaming at their phones to use the voice commands in public is a moron.
Just look at what is pop culture these days and that will explain it all.
When the likes of Honey Boo Boo or some Day Time Big Brother, and other retards like any of the other moronic whole family reality show where you KNOW they aren't acting, it really is them, can get their own show and they are popular enough to have multiple seasons? we have descended into Hell.

As for Windows, I still contend if they go the way of Apple and Android, they will only be killing themselves.

And if Ubuntu doesn't pull their heads from their rears, they aren't going to succeed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
There's no chance metro will be eliminated. Touch is widespread in new desktop devices like "all-in-ones" and touchscreen pcs. Touch computing is not going to disappear, which means that WinRT is not going to disappear.

The fact that Windows 7 will still be supported, for at least 7 more years, ... everyone should chill about Win32.
The typical desktop UI will continue to be needed and widely used since touch is not practical for work.
Touch may be ok for presentation devices, but for cubicle work, it is not.

Touch might not be but what about gesture?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Shuttle SG33G5M
    CPU
    Intel Q8300
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 1066MHz
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
    2x500GB Seagate Barracuda
    Keyboard
    Logitech DiNovo Mini
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity 65 Mbps
Yeah, M$ realizes corporates are loathe to move to new OS' unless it's absolutely necessary, this gives them a window of opportunity to focus on the mobile computing market with Win8 and it's inherent Modern UI...however for the home user who detests Modern/Metro they should provide common usability functions.. ie options to enable Start menu and disable Metro..IMHO

BTW my android fone rocks :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Hi there everyone

How about a LITTLE bit of realism into this whole Metro and UI nonsense.

Now I want ANYONE here who has more than say 40 APPS on their mobile phone (doesn't matter if it's Android, Iphone or Windows) to tell me if endless scrolling via the standard smartphone interfaces is easy to use or even a pleasant experience.

For a FEW apps it's fine -- but I throw this out to people who have at least 40 or more apps on their phones.

A PC will often have more than 40 applications too.

'Nuff said I think on this whole Metro piece of B/S.

"I rest my case M'Lud". Next Case please.!!

Cheers
jimbo

I have 150 apps in my iPhone. I organize them into folders, and then I organize the folders, so I have only three pages of apps. I like that iOS doesn't show apps on one huge scroll, but in pages and folders. Of course I have a Windows 8 Dreamboard theme that shows all of the apps in that one long scroll. Er. I HAD that theme, I deleted it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.

The new Win Phones smoke them for ease of use and functionality

Right.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

They sell a lot. Might be because they are products people want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I don't see a word mentioned about desktop users who don't like 8 or 8.1 in its current format. Microsoft needs to remember who "brung" them to the dance and it wasn't the phone or tablet users.

Indeed,

If anything is going to KILL Microsoft it is the blinding ARROGANCE of those in charge now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
i am fed up with the speculations and rumors about the latest upcoming of its newer version .. are there any concrete things in shape or everything is running on the base of just a hype only..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    e4166
    CPU
    core 2 duel
    Motherboard
    i3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dell
    Browser
    compe
    Antivirus
    kpersky
Well, looks like that idea has been squashed and debunked.

From one of the premier sources of Windows Phone info...

Windows Phone Design team on 2015 OS redesign rumor: LOL

By Daniel Rubino, Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:23 am

Windows_Phone_8_Tiles.jpg

Earlier this week, a rumor was started by a certain “journalist” who shall remain unnamed stating that the Windows Phone team was looking to “start over” in 2015, including a re-write of the OS and that they were even considering toying with the Modern look of the UI.
A few of you tipped us on it, asking us to cover the news but it’s a safe bet that if we don’t re-report something, it’s because we think it’s garbage. Indeed, this “journalist” has been more wrong than right in his ambitious predictions about Microsoft, Nokia and Windows Phone in the past, but other tech sites are addicted to his bold headlines.
Now, the Windows Phone Design team, responsible for the UI and "theory" behind Windows Phone, has evidently had enough, as they have publicly rebuked the rumor via their Twitter account.
In a posting, just over an hour ago, the team humorously wrote the following:
"Scrapping everything and starting over"? Hahaha.
In a later Tweet, in response to someone jokingly accusing the team of being drunk, they retorted with “nah. The guy who started that rumor is though” and “don't believe everything you read”.
wpdesign_tweet.JPG

Indeed, that is very sage advice. Just because something appears on the internet folks, doesn’t mean there’s any truth to it. And if Windows Phone Central is seemingly ignoring a story, it’s probably because we don’t think it’s worth its salt and we have good reason to not run it. That means it doesn’t even register on our “rumor meter”. Such is the case here but it is worth reporting when the team behind our Windows Phone design squashes such a fabrication.
The fact is, we have no idea what Windows Phone will be like in 2015 and it seems premature to be talking about any overhauls or system-wide changes. We do know that the Windows team is working more closely with the Windows Phone one (for better and worse, friction can happen) but what this results in as a final product, is way too early to say.
Source: @WPDesign Team; Thanks, willysocks2222, for the tip!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC

Hi there
You could apply that same argument to illegal substances -- just because stuff sells doesn't make it a decent product -- especially if the competition is either non existent or "hobbled".

I asked a question elsewhere - what possible use is Touch on a laptop - (not a convertible) - especially if it was being used as a normal laptop with the screen in a VERTICAL position. Everybody who replied said there was NO use and it was just a "feature" to make the laptop more expensive.

As W8 is geared to touch devices it's quite obvious that it isn't suitable for a lot of "classical computing" devices and as soon as something else appears whether it's a new (SUITABLE) version of Linux or Windows then the demise of the current version of W8 is assured.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hey there, Jimbo...

Today, I had the opportunity to compare and have a brief play with the 'dreaded' Surface tablets. Both versions, RT and Pro, and both set up in 'laptop mode'.

They're both nice enough machines, but at 600 and 1000 nicker respectively, definitely too pricey for what they are and what they can do. I didn't particularly like either touch screen, but they worked well enough in Metro, which, on these devices, is not the fail it is on a desktop. And I didn't like either keyboard much, they are simply too lacking in functionality for either machine to be a laptop/desktop substitute without a decent keyboard plugged-in. The Pro does have the better k'board of the two, though.

Size-wise I wouldn't have an issue with either one, and the weight isn't excessive, although I wouldn't like to lie in bed and use either one as an e-book reader.

I must stress that I did not have an opportunity to start running programs and apps, nor did I explore (sorry) the OS too much (I sort of know what 8 looks and works like, having used it since the CP). The machines were on display in my local Hardly Normal store, and, of course, the salesman was busy elsewhere.

My final impression: Neither are poor machines, the RT could be an iPad-killer if only it had the apps as it's far and away the superior machine. And the Pro is basically a nice little entry-level PC with the added ability to be a tablet as well. Both are far superior to my 7" Android ICS tablet, by a long way. In every way.

Without the apps,though, the Android is probably a better choice for those who only need/want a tablet. The Pro is certainly a viable proposition without the apps as it does the x86 dance as well. But it does need a decent keyboard. I did not test the onscreen keyboard, I loathe them and have no reason to think those on the Surface would be any different.

But, and here's the thing... I can't see either of them coming near to meeting my primary computing needs in the short to medium term at least, so I doubt either of them will be replacing this i7 quad-core laptop. Not until their specs can at least equal it (see my system specs below). But I'd happily use either one as an adjunct to my primary powerful desktop/laptop.

Anyway, sorry if I bored you, but thought you may be interested, as I'm someone who really couldn't have cared less about the Surface one way or the other previously, but I did at least want to try them before bagging them. And I came away with a different, favourable impression so I guess it's fairly unbiased. Yes, I'd buy, but at half the price, and not as my primary computer.

Cheers!

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.

Hi there
You could apply that same argument to illegal substances -- just because stuff sells doesn't make it a decent product -- especially if the competition is either non existent or "hobbled".

I asked a question elsewhere - what possible use is Touch on a laptop - (not a convertible) - especially if it was being used as a normal laptop with the screen in a VERTICAL position. Everybody who replied said there was NO use and it was just a "feature" to make the laptop more expensive.

As W8 is geared to touch devices it's quite obvious that it isn't suitable for a lot of "classical computing" devices and as soon as something else appears whether it's a new (SUITABLE) version of Linux or Windows then the demise of the current version of W8 is assured.

Cheers
jimbo

All enterpises are geared to "sell a lot" that is the yardstick of success... be it a good or bad product in the eyes of some - it would still be considered a success if it out-sells the competition :D

Agree, Win8=touch.. what use that has in a production environment, I have yet to see... btw what's the deal with metro in Server 2012 (GUI)? I'm not a sysadmin so just posing the ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Wenda

Tablets in general are not meant to be a primary PC
That is what a Desktop or good laptop is for.

Tablets are for Mobility of certain tasks, but, with a Win8 Pro tablet, they are far and away superior to anything out there right now.

Powerful, flexible and very usable in the field or on the go. Far more than a Laptop, and smokes every ipad and android on the market.

I am glad you came away with a favorable impression, but if you had the choice,, would you spend the same amount of money to get an iPad or a Win8 Pro Tablet?

That is the question that people need to ask themselves, and they need to realize the power behind Surface Pro.
Surface Pro is not a Toy, it really is a productive machine. But, and I stress,,, not a desktop/laptop replacement, but a powerful mobile tool.

Let's put it this way, people are still trying to use Aircards as their primary internet, and then complain when it runs like garbage.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77