Windows 8 - What do you think?

I think w8 is a great OS because it works for me without any problems, w8 makes my vista an ancient OS, I am very surprised to see that many people over here have negative view of w8, if a person like me with limited knowledge and experience can handle w8 with ease, it should be very popular with the majority of consumers IMHO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    High Definiton Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I don't like the metro version, but you can opt for the desktop. It works well then. I am now trying to customise it to my liking?
Its fast and shuts down most apps automatically!!
Having a bit of trouble setting security in IE for my lastpass addon.
Works fine with firefox, with lastpass.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 pro X64
    Dilithium Computers Mk4
    CPU
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
    Sound Card
    Hi-def
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3D Lg W2363D 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Loads, and a Crucial ssd 256Gb for OS.
    PSU
    1000w
    Case
    Antec 10000
    Cooling
    Big case fans + standard cpu fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech K350
    Mouse
    Coolermaster Inferno
    Internet Speed
    10Mb
    Other Info
    Home made with matchsticks (well...some lego also)
    Blu-ray drive HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30. Nvidia 3D wireless glasses (active shutter).
I just figured out how to pin items to the start menu. Just hit start and start typing the name of the program you want a shortcut to. When it the search finds the program right click on it and a bar pops up from the bottom with two options: Advanced and Pin. If you click pin it sticks it on the end of the start menu and you can click and drag to move it wherever you want. If you click advanced it give you the options of Run, Run as Admin, Open File Location, and Pin to Taskbar.

The only problem is that I can't figure out how to change the icon. My Photoshop icon looks like this:
Untitled.png

I'd rather the Icon filled the whole tile. I really don't need it to tell me that it's photoshop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Developer Preview
I think it has potential if they can make the metro UI optional, and has anyone else noticed (especially on older machines) that video playback that is smooth on every other OS, on win 8 is choppy, to the point for me where I couldn't watch .avi or .mkv files.

If this has been brought up before or elsewhere I apologize, but I didn't see it so I thought I'd mention it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Couldn't asnwer the poll exactly...

AS IS... it's not great on the desktop OR tablet.

However, if the user gets to decide if they want desktop like UI or Metro like UI for particular machines then it rocks. Metro on tablet or wall hanging "picture frame" computer is awsome. Desktop with dual 24in montior? er... no.

So both modes are awsome individually for their ntended use ("love it") but the current method of mergeng both into one experience is just not right...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Don't worry about it.

The Metro stuff is foremost in this dev release - it won't be like that later.

You will have a choice which to run .

Desktop o/s lovers can select that and never again see that Metro geschissen.

How do I know this?

MS aren't that stupid. If they release it very similar to how it is now- it's curtains for them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Well I stuck it out for about twenty minutes, then applied the registry fix so that I don't have to look at that terrible metro menu! I like it well enough with just the desktop, and I can live without the new menu on windows explorer as well.

I think I'd be happy enough to buy this as long as the option to turn off metro remains.

My machine is a desktop with a 24inch monitor.

Barry

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Evaluation
Absolutely love it!!! Its noticeably faster then Win7 on everything I've tried it on (D630, Lenovo T60, E6500.) I have it installed in virtual box on my personal Elite book 8440p, but I have a 320gb WD Black drive, that I'm going to install and load Win8 as the primary OS, and run with that for a while.

On every install, its found the drivers for my hardware and installed them automatically, except for display drivers but that's to be expected. Every program I've tried works, just as Microsoft said it would. (Sec essentials, utorrent, MS office 2010, convertxtodvd. Haven't tried any games, but I imagine they would work too.

The metro UI is going to take some time to get used to but I like it. I have no doubts that MS will make that optional in the RTM as its pointless on a desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Custom Built by me
    CPU
    QX9770 @ 4.3ghz
    Motherboard
    EVGA 780i A1
    Memory
    4gb Corsair XMS2 DDR800 @ 1.0ghz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 8800GT SSC SLI
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Live Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" Samsung LED LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 150GB WD Raptors in Raid 0 (OS)
    1 x 750GB Hitachi (Storage)
    PSU
    Enermax Galaxy 1000watt
    Case
    Lian Li Extended ATX
    Cooling
    Thermalright Ultra 120 with 2 x 120MM fans
    Keyboard
    Dell Soft touch USB
    Mouse
    Dell Optical USB
    Internet Speed
    FIOS 40Mb down / 40Mb Up
Another major difference that is annoying is the boot option screen in the Developer Preview which is slow loading, After selecting my other OS Windows 7 the computer does a total reboot (Bios Post = additional 30 seconds) then starting Windows 7 compared with the traditional boot options of Vista, Win 7 of selecting OS and starting OS immediately.

Only benefit of the Developer Preview boot option screen is the repair your computer option.

Edit: After making Win 7 the default OS, restarting then again making Developer Preview the default OS the boot option screen appears and works in the traditional manner.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 2
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My own abomination, I call it the Money Pit
    CPU
    Intel i7 2600K @ 3.40 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth P67
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Dual Channel Kit
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING 10GB GDDR6X
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek or Nvidia High Definition Audio (HDMI)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung JS7000 50" SUHD TV or Samsung 27" FHD 60Hz 8ms GTG VA LED Smart Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 x Samsung 870 EVO 250 GB SSD (Windows 10 Pro), 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD (Windows 10 Pro)
    PSU
    Corsair AX860 - 860W Modular Power Supply
    Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Case - Black
    Cooling
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech K830 Illuminated Living-Room Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Anywhere 2S Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10/100/1000 Mbps capable
    Browser
    (Primary) Latest Firefox version & Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    ESET Internet Security
    Other Info
    LG Super Multi Blue Internal Blu-ray Disk Rewriter - BH10LS30
    6x2 HDMI Switcher (6 inputs, 2 outputs) so I can send the output of my Cable Box, Roku, or any my 4 computers to either my TV or Monitor separately or simultaneously.
I like having a new toy to play with ,its a bit of a pain with some of the settings and getting used to change is not something we enjoy , however there are lots of nice little features but i dont see myself getting rid of 7 in place of 8 in a hurry. depends on
the beta as to whether i fork out my ill gotten gains.
i did notice that in the personalize setting you can set the color of your windows to automatic and it changes with the color of your wallpaper rotation
will play some more tomorrow and see if i can get the boot window choice to work as it should, as i get a black window for a while till i power down manually to get to win 7
Anyone got any ideas on that.

edit ,just noticed the edit in the post above, will try that tomorrow.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 /windows 8 Dev
Interesting.

So far 72% hate the metro stuff - some of them think it makes the whole o/s suck.

I remember Jon Honeyball saying some months ago - the idea of a desktop o/s that is designed to be prodded by tiny fingers is awful.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have tested it on my s10-3t which have touch screen and I like it! Interface is great for touch, it seems to be overall smooth despite weak hardware and it starts in like 20 seconds.

But I think metro would perform horribly on desktop. I guess they have released this preview, so people can start making apps for metro system. You can already make apps for normal win8, so they probably focused on making as much metro stuff as possible, so they will probably start working on the desktop stuff after they are pleased with metro or something.

I use ribbon interface in office and I have always liked it a lot. But I'm not sure if it's suitable for explorer, where you rarely need any of the (mouse) commands and you want as much space as possible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I voted 'Love It' I cant make my mind up on the metro screen, I know I shouldn't like it, but for some strange reason I do. I do agree it should be optional.
I have to agree with you. I actually really like the Metro UI. I am using it on a laptop though, so I can see how it can be annoying on a huge screen. Personally, I have to say that I knew Microsoft would make some kind of big change.

I do think that the Metro UI should be optional. But I also remember that when the leaked builds of 8 were out, everyone wanted shsxs.dll to use Metro. Well... we have it, now everyone hates it.

I like it on my laptop, I wish I had a tablet to try it on.

I guess "To each his own"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 8102
MS has its heart in the right place but looks like they got their Metro inspiration from that infomercial dude's sweater from way back when.
Mike Levey.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
I think it is terrible. It takes a lot for me to hate a OS. I have to keep remmebering that it is pre-beta and hope it is fixed and let me have options if I want the Metro UI or not. It is just bad for desktops, but it looks like it would work best for tablet. The worst part is I am not able to shut it off since I still haven't found the shut down option. I solve this by going in power option and set it to turn off when I close the lid of my laptop. That is the only way I am able to turn it off. It would of been bad if this was on a desktop computer. I will give it another chance when it hits beta and hope they improve it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 and Windows 8
    Compaq notebook
    CPU
    Celron
    Motherboard
    don't know
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    don't know
For me there will need to be a clear desktop version without the Metro start stuff; i voted Good except for.... based on my thoughts of using my main computer day in day out. Maybe it would work and feel better that i currently think it would. But it's early days.

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 - Win10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 4770
    Memory
    12MB
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 - 500GB
I think it is terrible. It takes a lot for me to hate a OS. I have to keep remmebering that it is pre-beta and hope it is fixed and let me have options if I want the Metro UI or not. It is just bad for desktops, but it looks like it would work best for tablet. The worst part is I am not able to shut it off since I still haven't found the shut down option. I solve this by going in power option and set it to turn off when I close the lid of my laptop. That is the only way I am able to turn it off. It would of been bad if this was on a desktop computer. I will give it another chance when it hits beta and hope they improve it.

Start Menu -> Settings->Power Icon

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 SP1 Home Premium/Win 8.1 in VBox
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hewlett-Packard/G62 Notebook
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 1425
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Builtin
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    2TB Seagate GoFlex USB 2 Drive
    1TB Iomega Prestige USB 2 Drive
    1.5TB Iomega Prestige USB 2 Drive (Samsung)
    1TB Iomega NAS.
    Mouse
    Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    20Mb/sec
Dual boot selection screen looks nice. Can't wait for non-tablet edition to come out.

Love IE10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CP
Actually, Metro has grown on me a little. I didn't like it at first, but it's not so bad when you get used to it. I do like the Metro IE, although it's a bit annoying having to switch to Desktop Mode every time you want to use Flash/Java.

Admittedly it seems a little redundant at the moment, because everything runs in "Windows 7 Mode" as this is the first chance any one has had to get their hands on Metro, that will change though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built
    CPU
    2nd Gen Intel Core i5 2500k
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z86a-d3-b3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333Mhz Crucial DIMM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460 (Gygabite OC)
    Sound Card
    Realtek On board sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer Al1980 + Generic non brand Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1280*1024 + 1366*768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Sata III Cavier Green
    500GB SATA II WD Caviar Blue
    160GB SATA II Hitachi
    PSU
    Corsair Extreme
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Cooling
    HAF-X cooling (1 exhaust, 1 front, 1 side, 1 top fan)
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    12.5 Mb/s down 1.2 (ish) M/b up (ADSL2+)
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Back