Windows 8 - What do you think?

mikdl, can you explain how you got your desktop to look like that (background etc...) maybe if iI could customize it (highly) I might like it better. Thanks in advance.Ditzzo

Hi, Dittzo!

See =Appearance Personalize. :D

(Dunno why the link came through that way but it should work - it's an Eight Forums link afterall)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, x64, DP8102 - Win7 Ultimate x64, Dual Boot
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Core 2 Duo T5500
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 965
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17", Gateway 20"
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 (x2)
If you had asked a few days ago I would have said not so much. As I continue to use it the more I like it. Finally figured out how to add tiles. At first I thought the 2 IE's where odd, now I'm liking the one in Metro. I like the look of Facebook with black border, it's working fine now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
People need to see past the Metro UI, and focus on the under the hood changes...its faster then win 7 all the way around and to think that Microsoft wouldn't make the Metro UI optional in the final build is just ludacris.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Custom Built by me
    CPU
    QX9770 @ 4.3ghz
    Motherboard
    EVGA 780i A1
    Memory
    4gb Corsair XMS2 DDR800 @ 1.0ghz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 8800GT SSC SLI
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Live Xtreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" Samsung LED LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 150GB WD Raptors in Raid 0 (OS)
    1 x 750GB Hitachi (Storage)
    PSU
    Enermax Galaxy 1000watt
    Case
    Lian Li Extended ATX
    Cooling
    Thermalright Ultra 120 with 2 x 120MM fans
    Keyboard
    Dell Soft touch USB
    Mouse
    Dell Optical USB
    Internet Speed
    FIOS 40Mb down / 40Mb Up
Wow, I like the built-in spell checker in the OS.:D
That thing sucks. Because of the fact that I specified a German keyboard, I automatically got a German spell checker and all my postings are underlined in red.

Else, 8 is nice to play with, but in it's current state I would not use it for any work. Maybe the come up with the WOW effect in the Beta.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The metro will evolve and develop. It is a great start because Microsoft is embracing hand held devices and most people will want the feel of similarity between both type of machines going forward. I personally disable it but I am confident Microsoft will allow users to choose which interface to use rather then forcing the metro but I can understand why. People need to use it and try it for them selves rather than dismiss it. I'll wait until I get a tablet screen before I try it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    ASUS
    CPU
    amd 970
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A88-V EVO
    Memory
    kingston hyper-x
    Graphics Card(s)
    none
THIS is going to be an EVEN harder sell for Microsoft than it was when Windows 95(a) was introduced.
I already have given people headaches over the new tile interface. Plus alot of my older people that I
provide support for HATES the new Metro interface, and keep asking me WHY their start menu button doesn't
show them the programs, like the previous versions of Windows have. My over 65 crowd is screaming
unfair! They want their Windows solitaire BACK! *LOL* So far from the poll I have taken (200 people)
ONLY 2.73% will update when Windows 8 is released to the general public. I've been testing for HP on
various builds of the PCs, and laptops. And it has been the BEST Windows O/S so far, for straight updating.
without any real problems whereas for particular components hadn't worked with Windows 7 Betas, and RTM.
Windows 8 DP works out of the box for their specific hardware components (notability HP Buttons) on their DV series laptops. Personality this I think will be OUR easiest to do update since Windows 95 to Windows 98 without ANY real problems.
NOTE: I had only 2 real problems with the upgrade. First: Even though Microsoft says as long as the processor speed
is enough I could NOT upgrade a Medion brand PC from Windows XP, and secondly (This one has Norton up in arms). It
completely removes Norton 360, and WANTS you to use the list of candidates for security. (MS Partners) Single license
holders will NEED to either purchase a extended license or select off the list of candidates that during setup shows you for PC
protection. This issue is currently being looked into by Norton.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Mike Lonewolf, welcome to the Windows Eight Forums :D

1) in the final version MetroUI can be turned on or off (we also have a tutorial of it here :)
2) all of the games will work in W8 (you can install them)
3) Anti virus software are currently NOT going to update to the WDP version. and also there are lot's of problems with them
4) The first thing: Have you even tried Windows 8 DP yet? or just tested once, and say that it is full load of c...
5) Source?

I don't mean to be rude, or aggressive about your comment, but it's strange, because W8 seems to be better than W7, and also, you have registered to W8 forum just to say this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium / Commodore OS Vision / Windows 8 Release preview
    CPU
    AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core 7750 BE 2,7Ghz (2/4)
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-e
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    GIGABYTE (ATI) Radeon HD 6870 (1Gb)
    Sound Card
    Do i have one?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1x HD1080 1x SXGA
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 500 Gb
    1x Samsung 30 Gb
    1x LaCie 1Tb Hard drive.
    PSU
    Antec 500W
    Case
    Antec three hundred
    Cooling
    3 fans + psu and cpu + gpu
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet
    Internet Speed
    110mb/ s
    Other Info
    Look, what i've created... just a few visits at the recyclement center was enough...

1) in the final version MetroUI can be turned on or off (we also have a tutorial of it here :)
2) all of the games will work in W8 (you can install them)
3) Anti virus software are currently NOT going to update to the WDP version. and also there are lot's of problems with them
4) The first thing: Have you even tried Windows 8 DP yet? or just tested once, and say that it is full load of c...
5) Source?

I don't mean to be rude, or aggressive about your comment, but it's strange, because W8 seems to be better than W7, and also, you have registered to W8 forum just to say this.

1) Right, I am aware of that.
2) From my sources at MSN, Windows Solitaire will NOT be in the retail version.
3) Actually at this stage, and testing has been done to verify this thru Maximum PC Magazine. BUT there are a few
out of the box Anti-Virus programs THAT do play NICE with Windows 8 DP (Norton 360 heading that list).
4) I am currently running it on a HP Pavilion DV9000 series laptop, a HP Pavilion 5000 PC, a Dell Latitude C640 laptop, and a Gateway 920 Tower.
5) Yes, I have the version with source included.

NOW don't get me wrong, no disrespect meant. I am loving this version or Windows 8, and WILL be one of the first adopters of the final retail version when released to the general public. I hadn't registered to ONLY say what I had, but to also get feedback from others, and see what problems they have ran into. I believe getting myself ready early so that *I* know what to look for when the calls start coming in from consumers begging for support help with it. If you are a support personnel THEN you KNOW, not only will we need to support our companies product, BUT our customers WILL also be asking us for help with Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
The metro will evolve and develop. I'll wait until I get a tablet screen before I try it.

Who cares if the Metro-style interface evolves? It is a stupid concept for the desktop. When one adopts a policy of touch-first, then, because one has to keep all elements large enough to be "touched", the whole idea of a rich desktop gets hosed. If one starts carrying this forward to applications, one would have Excel spreadsheets that would need a 30-inch monitor for what used to fit in a 17-inch one! This is a lousy, lousy idea. Microsoft ought to have developed a different, scaled-down OS for tablets and a rich, capable one for the desktop. Forcing an OS to serve adequately both of these very different environments is simply crazy and it is going to be a major flop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
As mentioned, you can just turn it off.

It seems like they are trying to build an OS for everyone, which is a monumental task to say the least.
Building an OS that runs on tablets is a good move for MS, since I don't have a tablet, I'm concerned about a few aspects of this decision, but will reserve my judgment until we see more of the OS.

We'll all know more when the beta comes out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
You have to keep in mind that this is a developer preview version....It's set up for tablets because It's what Microsoft gave the attendees....(I wonder if those versions expire or not?). We don't even know if/or what different versions will be offered or not, and that might be partially how Metro gets sorted out....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Developer 32 bit
    junk system
    CPU
    3200+ 2.2 gig Amd
    Memory
    1 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    8500 GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Garbage from behind local computer store
    Hard Drives
    40 gig
    Case
    No front bezel, no sides,hard drive dangling by it's cables
    Cooling
    Heat rises....See case
    Keyboard
    Old HP
    Mouse
    Pink, made in China, Ebay special
    Internet Speed
    DSL
As mentioned, you can just turn it off.

It seems like they are trying to build an OS for everyone, which is a monumental task to say the least.
Building an OS that runs on tablets is a good move for MS, since I don't have a tablet, I'm concerned about a few aspects of this decision, but will reserve my judgment until we see more of the OS.

We'll all know more when the beta comes out.

Unfortunately, by the time the beta comes out, it would be too late to do much of anything.

The problem with Win8 right now is the "touch-first" mentality. The moment one works through the system with this in mind, all else goes downhill. All elements that they user can manipulate must be "touchable" and that means that they have to be large enough to be touched. Please interpret all the screens you have seen so far under this prism. This is exactly why they are so sparse. It is OK for tablets, but it is a disaster for the desktop. The desktop requires a very different metaphor.

I do not know why Microsoft is in the process of destroying Windows to get into the tablet space. I do not like tablets and I do not plan to buy one. Those who buy them utilize them mostly as "media consumption devices". Tablets are not elements for a robust computing experience. They are mostly consumer items to read books, magazines and view movies. One does not need the full power of Windows for this. This is plain crazy. On the other hand, we need some more innovation on the desktop and a way of incorporating more information there, not less!!!

Then, you have the laughable part about these "Metro-style" "immersive, full screen" applications!!!! Full-screen???? This is a windowing OS, right??? This is not just a task switcher!! Another ridiculous proposition. And while we are at that, Microsoft is trying to demolish as much as it can of the Windows 7 desktop. It has withdrawn support for desktop gadgets (most of them have disappeared). It is doing the same with some programming in applications. Microsoft is busy making Windows 7 a less rewarding environment to move frustrated users to Windows 8.

Maybe it is time to move to the Mac.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Here's something for you, I was curious, and check to see if Windows 8 would include Windows Restore. It does, BUT the feature is disabled. Even tried with the driver roll back feature, also disabled. I wonder if these two features will be included or not in both the beta, and final release, or will Microsoft farm them out to Norton. and be included with Norton 360 version 6. I'm going to download
the version 6 beta at Norton's website and check if it will be in it, or not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail

I'm curious. Has Microsoft said a final word on that? Do you have a link, by any chance?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
i assume so... because themetroUI can be disabled by just removing one .dll file. (sorry, no source on this one :eek:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium / Commodore OS Vision / Windows 8 Release preview
    CPU
    AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core 7750 BE 2,7Ghz (2/4)
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-e
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    GIGABYTE (ATI) Radeon HD 6870 (1Gb)
    Sound Card
    Do i have one?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1x HD1080 1x SXGA
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 500 Gb
    1x Samsung 30 Gb
    1x LaCie 1Tb Hard drive.
    PSU
    Antec 500W
    Case
    Antec three hundred
    Cooling
    3 fans + psu and cpu + gpu
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet
    Internet Speed
    110mb/ s
    Other Info
    Look, what i've created... just a few visits at the recyclement center was enough...
Oh, it's alright, thanks for the reply anyway. We'll have to wait and see, it seems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
Kynix...YOU can do THAT!! or make it easier...Use TweakUI, and give it back that good ole Windows 7, Vista, XP interface.
LoL have fun, and this will work for you too McNulty.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I really cannot find anything in windows 8 that would make me want to upgrade from windows 7,as a desktop user i have no use for metro,and the new start menu,or rather lack of it puts me off,it just complicates things,for the average desktop user there is nothing worth upgrading for,i cannot see windows 8 be as popular as windows 7,people will have it pre-installed on there new computers,but who is going to want to upgrade for metro on a desktop or laptop.windows 7 rocks.I am not going to give it up for windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/windows 8
    tesco pc,upgraded overtime
    CPU
    intel pentium d 2.8ghz dual core
    Motherboard
    foxxcon
    Memory
    2gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    geforce 6800le
    Sound Card
    sb uadigy live/logitec 2.1 speakers
    Monitor(s) Displays
    samsung 20" syncmaster 2030bw
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    wd caviar 320gb ide, samsung 80 gb ide ,wd 250 gb external hard drive
    PSU
    stock
    Case
    galaxy 3 black
    Cooling
    intel cooler
    Keyboard
    microsoft 300
    Mouse
    logitec laser mouse
    Internet Speed
    13mb down 0.85 up
    Other Info
    Had pc for about 4 years,have upgraded quite alot,although old now,does everything i need it to do.
I really cannot find anything in windows 8 that would make me want to upgrade from windows 7,as a desktop user i have no use for metro,and the new start menu,or rather lack of it puts me off,it just complicates things,for the average desktop user there is nothing worth upgrading for,i cannot see windows 8 be as popular as windows 7,people will have it pre-installed on there new computers,but who is going to want to upgrade for metro on a desktop or laptop.windows 7 rocks.I am not going to give it up for windows 8.

Yes, unless things change drastically, I am very much of the same opinion. However, not "upgrading" is the easy part of the equation. The main problem would be in what is going to happen to the applications that we all depend on. Developers, of course, may be tempted to develop for the "touch-first" paradigm of Windows 8, and this means a drastic transformation of applications and the way they present information to the screen. Much of it would be simply dumped down, a necessity when one deals with touch. Thus, the problem is not only having no specific reason to upgrade; MS is not going to be hurt too much from it. It will keep on selling licenses for new PCs. The problem is with losing 3 years (the usual upgrade cycle) in advancing the state of the art while there is a collective idiotic pre-occupation with tablets.

Who would have ever thought that a major desktop OS would have to be dumbed down for tablets??? I would have thought that MS would have been more astute than this. But, apparently, I am wrong. I would bet you that if Bill Gates was still there, this would not have happened.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
,i cannot see windows 8 be as popular as windows 7,people will have it pre-installed on there new computers,but who is going to want to upgrade for metro on a desktop or laptop.windows 7 rocks.I am not going to give it up for windows 8.

MS would try to convince you otherwise by degrading the Win7 experience. Have you noticed that all the desktop gadgets are gone??? MS intents to replace those with "Metro-style" apps, even on Win7. It is also removing or de-emphasizing lots of previous technologies (Silverlight is also out of the door). MS is pushing "Metro-style" big way and it is not even coy about it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Back