Windows 8 V. 6.3, build 9600

G0ldengirl52

I'm helping a friend, blind leading the blind at some points ;) but his laptop doesn't appear to be used much, or abused (about 8 years old he thought). I cannot connect it to the internet though, and his internet does work fine on other devices such as smart-tv. Tried wired, and a switched cable as well, still no connection. A friend in Tenforums directed me into the Device Manager, but zero yellow flags on the anything there. I now have the laptop in my home and still can't connect to my network either.

I've also noticed there is no "audio" working. I'm sure this needs quite a few updates but confused as to why there are no yellow flags. Any other questions need answering, please let me know. I will be happy to provide any answers I can, thanks in advance for any help, Denise

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP
Without Internet - you will not be able to download updates or drivers... It appears you need the driver for the Audio and Network Card... Best to use your PC, go the MFG's website and download the driver for that make and model - copy to USB and the install drivers on the friends laptop via USB - once you get the network - then you can get the updates..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Ok KYHI,

I will try that, I am hitting dead-ends on everything I've tried since 5 this a.m. and it's almost 4 now. I need to just quit for the day, but this will be my next try and thank you so much, and I'll let you know if I have any luck with it, Denise ;) Oh no, lol, "we were unable to find drivers for your product". Well that about ends the idea of getting this thing to work ;( I'll try to google and see if there's a site online that has "old" drivers. This laptop is from 2013, just doesn't seem old enough to be tossed out since it looks like it just came out of the box new ;(

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
Without Internet - you will not be able to download updates or drivers... It appears you need the driver for the Audio and Network Card... Best to use your PC, go the MFG's website and download the driver for that make and model - copy to USB and the install drivers on the friends laptop via USB - once you get the network - then you can get the updates..
I can't find the drivers for my laptop anywhere.

Right now, I'm following a suggestion to download HP PC Windows Diagnostics to run that. Trouble is, I can't download straight from the "bad" laptop, and I can't get the program to download to my flashdrive.

Thanks for your help. If I ever get the laptop network connected I could do so much more, and a lot easier ;)

EDIT: I got the download to flashdrive figured out!!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
I've had no luck with anything I've tried, and the last couple things I tried were these:

Reset TCP/IP w/ Ntsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Ran HP PC Hardware Diagnostic (all passed) for 19 hours in Loop until Error
Went through and tested components (all passed even sound test worked)
Made sure Network Adapter is compatible with Router. The laptop is from 2013 and HP Windows 8.

I get no yellow flags in Device Manager, and I cannot pull up anything that needs the internet. I also can't find drivers to update them, not for this laptop, so far. If anyone knows where I might find outdated laptop updates I could upload them with my flashdrive. Thanks for any help at all. I am working hard on this because my neighbor cannot afford a new laptop, I don't think. I'm not going to spend any more time on it after today if I can't find a fix for it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
Hi Gg52

This kinda troubleshooting is tedious but, if you enjoy a challenge it can be a great opportunity to learn so hang in there. Not sure how far you want to go but I'll offer some things too, do what you will, I know you have a life :)

BTW, does your patient have a model number (sorry if I missed it), maybe a second pair of (not so tired) eyes can double check the drivers - but it's always good to provide such details anyway?

OK...

If you have room on a USB stick, in a separate folder (from downloaded drivers, etc) to keep things orderly, a helpful free portable tool is HWiNFO - Free Download HWiNFO Sofware | Installer & Portable for Windows, DOS - it should provide details about your patient should you need some help. If you should try it grab the Portable for Windows 32/64 bit version. Don't get tricked by the LanSweeper download link, hover over the second green download link, you should see links to Fosshub, Local, FTP - for me I use Local (US). It will be a .zip file, when extracted you should see 32-bit & 64-bit versions - 32-bit (32-bit OS), 64-bit (64-bit OS). If you check Save Preferences in Settings I believe a .ini file is created.

Speaking of Device Manager, for your Audio (Sound) and Network adapters, if you click on Properties-General tab, are these devices Working Properly? Where does the Driver-Driver-Details tab point?

Does the Network adapter(s) have a Power Management Tab? Can the computer turn off the device? I would uncheck this setting for now. I would disable then re-enable the adapter.

If you can't get this to work an option is a USB WIFI dongle... I use the Edimax EW-7811Un. These are very handy to have when an internal NIC is acting up, making it hard to connect to the internet. You'll need an available USB port of course :)

Speaking of Audio... have you double checked to make sure you've selected the correct playback device? Right-click the speaker icon, rumage thru the various settings -> Playback devices and Volume control options. Make sure in Playback you have the correct device configured & tested, you said the owner was using a SMART TV too - uncheck any device not connected, that cannot provide a speaker system and setup (configure a device that can provide speakers).

Make sure Headphones weren't used via jack audio settings, and bypassed laptop speakers. You generally have the option to use external laptop speakers (suck bad), maybe TV (2nd display) speakers via HDMI, or plugging in a set of external speakers via the headphone jack??? I have all 3 options but I need to make a few changes in the audio settings. If I select the TV as the audio out source but don't turn the TV on I get no sound. I have decide to stick with using a modest set of external powered speakers connected via the 3.5mm headphone jack on my laptop, tweaked some by the HD audio drivers, as well configured as the default audio device. Point is it can get confusing when you need to figure out what someone else has done, what they may have checked or unchecked.

Another option you have, simply to bypass the Windows OS issues (drivers, settings, etc), is to create a Linux Live OS (bootable USB). This is one way to see if the hardware might be an issue. This will atleast let you know if the hardware is functional, or even worth bothering with at this point. A 13 year old laptop is lagging technologically speaking, even worse if you can't get the (Windows) drivers to make it work. Should you run this laptop thru its paces via a Linux distro, an OS less demanding hardware-wise than Windows, you might suggest to the owner if he/she wishes to keep the hardware, have a look at a Linux distro.

BTW, running a Live session from USB will effect this laptop nada, you can simply have a look at how it runs (performs), again, it may not even be worth the headache... but I honestly believe the process for you is a great learning opportunity should you continue troubleshooting.

After-thought. I hope the owner gave you the power adapter (cord)? If so, use AC power, a bad battery and some funky low power settings can cause problems. If possible, yank the battery and use AC power while trying to get your patient healthy :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)
Hi MGhee, and thank you so much for replying :) I am 68 so I understand about the tired eyes. I fail to put up a lot of info I should but I will list all I have now. Also, I am doing this for a neighbor as I live in a an apartment building with all folks over 62, and help whoever I can with their devices. I only know a little, but am able to search and find a lot from folks like you ;) I will be looking through your info today and again, thanks so much. I'll get back to you with what I get accomplished today ;) Denise

Here's all the info on this laptop, and I found the teenie Model # next to where the battery plugs in: HP 2000-2b09WM Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
Hi again MGhee,

I'm sorry to be a quitter, but I'm done with this now. This is the 4th day I've worked on it, and I just tried to update the drivers from a flash drive after trying numerous, tedious tests and this is just to big for me. It's a friends laptop, and they are going to have to decide if they want to buy a newer one, or take it to a pro.

Thank you for your help, but I have to draw the line. Denise PS I do thank you so much, again :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
Hi again MGhee,

I'm sorry to be a quitter, but I'm done with this now. This is the 4th day I've worked on it, and I just tried to update the drivers from a flash drive after trying numerous, tedious tests and this is just to big for me. It's a friends laptop, and they are going to have to decide if they want to buy a newer one, or take it to a pro.

Thank you for your help, but I have to draw the line. Denise PS I do thank you so much, again :)
HiGg52

Please don't look at this as quitting, I think you might be smart, that system if it is the Compaq Presario CQ58, is very old in both time and technology. What matters most is you tried to help a friend and that is a good thing, your patient is simply a very old system that needs very much attention to get it up and running. I noticed a BIOS update that should be installed and this isn't a task for the faint of heart either.

I hope you give yourself the credit due for your nice gesture but this might be too great an undertaking for the inexperienced.

I would be very cautious in letting a pro have at it, you likely could buy a newer (used) system, with newer (better performing) technology for the price the technician would charge to repair this machine.

If it was me I would sit down with my friend (assuming they don't have a family member who assists with these kinds of decisions) and talk about what their needs are and should the need arise (and it will) how to get the newer system fixed should it need fixin' in the future. Here's something to keep in mind, and I know you know this but not everyone thinks in these terms - unlike years ago when our technolgy was essentially a static environment, a broken picture tube was replaced in our tv, etc, newer technology lives in an ever changing dynamic environment, needing updates and applications. It's not just our PCs, our phones and our TVs live in a dynamic world.

Point is, not everyone enjoys the chronic babysitying our modern technology needs and is apprehensive about the cost to maintain em. I know my elderly mom hates not having her old 600lb TV that had the VCR built-in, she hated her iPhone (couldn't figure it out) prefers her land line, don't get me started about satellite and DirecTV :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G50-45
    CPU
    AMD A6-6310
    Memory
    12GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Laptop Display, 32" Samsung HDTV
    Internet Speed
    SLOW (4 Mbps)
You are so right about all of it ;) My sister just got a smartphone for her birthday and she normally hates all things "new tech" but she is having fun so far. But I'm waiting for my phone to ring, lol ;) That's ok, she is 80 and I will help her if I all I can ;)

This laptop of my neighbors is an HP (HP 2000-2b09WM Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support) and I was a bit concerned when he still wanted to try another guy that will charge him money to fix it. I do understand (and leo doesn't) that he could buy a new one with a warranty, for what he'll likely be charged to fix his old one. But I suppose he'll have to learn his own way, Maybe the guy won't be that expensive, I really have no idea what he charges, I always fix my own computers. I just never had one act like his did ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
Back