Windows 8 updates/problems with installations

ekm

Hi first post here, just wondered if it was worth a post before I lose the plot.

I was given a very reasonable looking laptop to use in my garage because 'it had an update problem' and I thought no worries, we can sort it - but maybe not.

Laptop is an acer E5-551 with 1900mhz processor and 8gb ram, onboard graphics etc.

Basically the problem is this - it really hates installing anything microsoft. I can install my own software okay like antivirus and my own applications, but .net framework, or c++ runtime libraries it just freezes forever. This also means I can't run any apps of my own that use or need the framework etc

The same applies for windows updates, if you try and update the OS the process just freezes and searches for updates forever.

I've done a lot of googling and this seems a common problem, so I've followed all the advice I have found on various forums to no avail.

What have I tried?

What have I tried so far:

- automatic windows 8 update
- Microsoft Fixit tool
- sfc /scannow (no problems found)
- dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth (corruption found and fixed but has not resolved the problem)
- I have used the reset windows update tool to reset windows update, again to no avail
- manual update (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/3138615) - cannot get this to install even with internet disconnected and update service disabled, install just freezes
- I have reformatted the computer and installed a fresh copy of win8.1 with a fresh image downloaded form microsoft. The OS installed correctly however still cannot update/install .net framework or VC runtimes without the installers freezing.
- Tried WSUS offline update, after downloading the update files get an error about windows version mismatch

Finally, in desperation I tried to install windows 7, it's getting old now but it's the best. However this also freezes on the second screen (starting windows) and enters an eternal loop.

there is something about my computer that freezes microsoft based installtion/updates on the spot. Even operating system installs. any ideas what it could be?

end of my tether now run out of things to try. I would have thought a format and fresh install would have done it, hardware problem perhaps? but what?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8/10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    self bu
How much byte-space is on that HDD?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    i7 in 2 Acers, i5 in desktop
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Laptops GameWorthy; Desktop maybe GameWorthy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    flatscreens; 2 are BluRay worthy
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1TB internals; 2 ext usb WD 1TB HDs
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Regular plus external fans
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    from Netscape 0.9 to FF 36
    Antivirus
    well-balanced, well-configured mult-layered defense is best
    Other Info
    From MS-DOS 3.3, MS-DOS 6.22, from Windows 3.1 to WFW 3.11 to Windows 95-98SE, now to Windows 7 Pro.
    Security for now: Windows 7 Firewall, Emsisoft AM, MSE [scan-only], SpywareBlaster, Ruiware/BillP combine
Back