Windows 8 uncertainty blamed for decline in PC sales

or the first time in five years, PC shipments over the holiday shopping season were lower than the year before - and IDC is blaming Windows 8.

The research firm says that a hoped-for boost to sales from the new operating system failed to materialize, contributing to fourth quarter sales down by 6.4 percent, 4.5 percent in the US.

"Although the third quarter was focused on the clearing of Windows 7 inventory, preliminary research indicates the clearance did not significantly boost the uptake of Windows 8 systems in Q4," says Jay Chou, senior research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker.

Source

A Guy

Welcome to Eight Forums KentC. A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Windows CE has always been a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde OS, worse because it's always been firmware locked. I still have a number of CE devices and one which I use just about every day. But I always need to have a spare copy of the entire program for when it seizes, which is about once every few months or so.

I think there's a bigger future in tablets and the like for Microsoft, but only if they do it right. What's right? That remains to be seen, but I have my concerns.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Windows CE has always been a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde OS, worse because it's always been firmware locked. I still have a number of CE devices and one which I use just about every day. But I always need to have a spare copy of the entire program for when it seizes, which is about once every few months or so.

I think there's a bigger future in tablets and the like for Microsoft, but only if they do it right. What's right? That remains to be seen, but I have my concerns.

Let me jump in here one last time and say, I was sooo thankful when Sega Dreamcast had this as the underlying OS. I was able to use the Echelon Self Boot Tutorial and get the games online when it was in fashion. Also, that same OS on my Verizon Treo 700wx i got for cheap flashed to Pageplus Cellular, I never had any issues with that Windows CE interface either. Worked great with XP. Windows 7 not so much. But my point is those are my real life experiences with that OS, and I have fond memories of it as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
    Lenovo B570
    CPU
    Intel Duo Core
    Memory
    4GB
YOU'RE missing my ENTIRE point here! I am saying that Microsoft has explored the tablet before and it was a TOTAL bust!! Millions bought a palm pilot, and where are they today eh? Everything is fun for awhile, BUT we will go back to traditional computing PLAIN and SIMPLE! Lets look at current sales of the iPad, it is in a huge slump, no one is buying them. I already know "A Guy" is going to argue it is due to they, the people that want them bought them already. If the Microsoft Surface sells at all, it will be due to curiosity than anything else. Burn me once shame on you! Burn me twice I'm a moron! And guaranteed I'm not a moron.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
YOU'RE missing my ENTIRE point here! I am saying that Microsoft has explored the tablet before and it was a TOTAL bust!! Millions bought a palm pilot, and where are they today eh? Everything is fun for awhile, BUT we will go back to traditional computing PLAIN and SIMPLE! Lets look at current sales of the iPad, it is in a huge slump, no one is buying them. I already know "A Guy" is going to argue it is due to they, the people that want them bought them already. If the Microsoft Surface sells at all, it will be due to curiosity than anything else. Burn me once shame on you! Burn me twice I'm a moron! And guaranteed I'm not a moron.

No I'm not missing anything. It's a thread describing Microsoft being blamed for hardware sells. I think of Microsoft as the pc industry's version of Sega. They win some, they lose some. I agree the technology must evolve, and I think the surface offers huge leaps as does the Ipad with the Logictech snap-on attachment. It's a shame more companies aren't going tablet as they are lighter in the field and actually more portable then even a netbook. I think personally the industry is just sluggish to jump on what is going to be the de-facto soon. Just like the death of Compact Disc to Digital Sales, I see the same for tablets, let the technology come about that iron-man 2 and 3 showcase, bring that to tablets, you won't see them underselling.

I think the Microsoft Surface has amazing features, i admit you can't put that in your lap, but it doesn't matter who's using what technology at this point, it's about who's advancing it.. I hope you understand that as my reasons of posting both originally and this post.

I agree ancient technology goes away, we all owned a Nintendo SNES or Genesis, not to bash but we as people, just like new gadgets and the tablet move is a great choice especially for project management on travel alot. Just my thoughts..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
    Lenovo B570
    CPU
    Intel Duo Core
    Memory
    4GB

Errr, have you ever seen me argue the point? No. I posted an article, so all you can argue ;)

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast

Didn't the ipad just have the best Christmas sales ever? I have not heard of any sales slump.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Apple is doing fine overall.

Macbook sales were down a bit ( though windows pc sales did far worse ).

Iphone is facing stiff competition from Android devices.

Unless they have something new up their sleeves, it now doesn't look like Apple will suddenly double or treble in size.

That is why the share price does not reflect that expectation.

Uncle Tim is doing the right thing. In the absence of a new product, he is embarking on product life extension.

I wouldn't be surprised to see further moves into lower price arena, and some kind of visual redesign.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

The ipad is selling well, the iphone 5 has some concerns, but still selling.

I don't know what traditional computing you're referring to. If you mean a desktop PC, that's not what people are going for anymore. The laptop PC, yeah, but it's iffy. Tablet PCs? Yet to be seen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Coke Robot, my mistake, didn't state that right. What I had meant overall Christmas sales 2011 -vs- 2012, and there has been a huge drop over the 2 Christmas seasons.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Coke Robot, my mistake, didn't state that right. What I had meant overall Christmas sales 2011 -vs- 2012, and there has been a huge drop over the 2 Christmas seasons.

Hi there
not only of PC's but almost anything -- even Supermarkets selling basic foodstuffs had very poor XMAS 2012 sales -- and this was for necessities not items people could do without.

I don't think that comparing Sales of PC's in 2011 with 2012 is a valid statistic by itself without looking at other factors such as people's disposable income , do other more convenient devices do the job, do I actually NEED a new PC etc.

PC sales will decline whatever OS is on them -- there are other devices around now that do a lot of the simpler stuff people used to do on a PC -- tablets, phones etc.

Hardware is good these days, you don't need to upgrade so often and sales always decline once the market has matured -- doesn't matter what the product is - upgrades and replacements will never equal the first flourish when devices are new and few people have them.

You could have these devices powered by "Mickey Mouse OS" - and they'd still fly off the shelves --then it would be interesting to see if the title of this thread would be "Mickey Mouse OS causing drop in PC sales".

Reading a lot of statistics quoted by people on both the W7 and W8 Forum leads me to conclude that I really ought to do a tutorial on Statistics 101 in the tutorials. !!

You must look at ALL the available data not just say PC sales are declining and choose a single event which probably has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the original statement and blame that event on the sales decline.

"==> BAK 2 SKOOL 4 U". :mad:

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Yeah, and statistics can be manipulated to show whatever you want them to.
Statistics are only as good as the data, research and the person doing them.
If any one of those produces lazy, incorrect or manipulated data, then it's all bogus.
One must always take statistics with a grain or more of salt.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Yeah, it's the pc makers fault that people are staying away from w8, lmao. :roflmao:

Hi there
you could argue it's "Customers who are staying away from PC's".

Honestly it doesn't matter WHAT OS is on a PC -- if you want a PC you can install what you like on it.

Bog standard PC sales are declining --FACT and it's NOTHING to do with WINDOWS or the weather or your Grandma's cat.

There are OTHER devices that do the job more conveniently for some applications so a lot don't really need a PC any more.

TV's now can connect directly to Video on demand services so even a last bastion of PC use for watching Films / DVD's isn't needed so much any more.

I don't think I've used a computer at home for watching a movie for AGES now -- TV can play via video on demand or via "Network Disk" where you can use all sorts of different hardware for multi-media streaming without a computer anywhere in sight.

I'm even replying to the thread on my Samsung smart phone.

(I still use a PC -- but when I'm not at work my use is far far less than even one year ago).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Again, I think this very much has to do with the whole; people don't necessarily buy new computers every year. My new desktop was a must buy. My old (three years old in April) computer's HDD was too small, graphics and memory were inadequate and for what I needed it to do, it just couldn't and the price of upgrading it exceeded the price of a new desktop. But then, I've passed on that Windows 7 Compaq desktop onto my parents, so they don't have to buy a new one. People aren't as wasteful as you'd think. I think PC sales will go up when people are ready to replace theirs. It has nothing to do with Windows 8. Which although awkward to use, is getting more familiar for me and I’m near the end of my third week. I had the same problem with Windows 7 and I ended up loving it. I liked Vista and I don't get my rose tinted glasses for XP because I disliked it by the end for its limitations and issues. Operating systems come and go- people replace their computers when they are good and ready. Not because any operating system says jump. Tablets just aren't capable of what desktops are and the same goes for laptops/notebooks although they are stronger than tablets.

Oh, and my 'mobile' uses for my laptop are in blackouts and when I have to go somewhere. It's a popularity trend, one with the life about as long as until real computer viruses sink their teeth in or some other issue causes tablets and smartphones to lose their shiny veneer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 64-bit/ Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Desktop: Allison Designs by Austin Computers / Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L50-A006
    CPU
    Intel Core i5- 4590/ Intel Core i5 processor 4200U
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte H97M-D3H/ ?
    Memory
    16 GB Kingston at 1600 Mhz/ 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 OC Windforce (2 GB/256-bit)/ nVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2GB
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio'
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 2216Vw 22"/ 15.6" Widescreen HD LED Backlit Display
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050 / 1366*768
    Hard Drives
    2 TB Western Digital Black Caviar Drive (7200 RPM)/ 750GB (5400rpm) with Toshiba HDD Accelerator
    PSU
    Coolermaster 750W VS Series 80+ Gold Power Supply (Desktop Only)
    Case
    Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case (Desktop Only)
    Cooling
    Two Case 120 mm fans and GPU, CPU, PSU cooled by own fans respectively. (Desktop Only)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wired Keyboard Desktop 600 (Desktop Only)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wired Mouse 600/ Toshiba Touchpad and Logitech Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer and Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton 360 by Symantec
I do think OEMs do have responsibility here as for one, touch enabled PCs are usually already expensive ultrabooks, so the cost is 1,000+. There are some touch laptops, but they're still rather costly. Touch AIO PCs have been said to be selling well, mostly I bet since they're 23 inch touch screens with decent specs over a 1,000 dollar touch ultabook. Considering that half of all new PCs aren't touch capable, it makes sense. That, along with a really high cost for tablet PCs of around an asking price of a solid 1,000 dollars. Why those OEMs couldn't take current lower end hardware certified for 7 and put a touch display is beyond me.

It seems that the price they set is one that can be argued that you're getting two in one for a price just under buying those two separate devices. People just want affordable right now over an arm and leg.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
labeeman JUST read that! Microsoft has it's NERVE!! Why wasn't their new tablet (Microsoft Surface) released for this past Xmas eh?
DAMN talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Ask not what Windows 8 can do for you, but what you can do for Windows 8.
:D

Manufacturers have responded. Funny about that. This reflects exactly what I've been saying about Windows 8 and platform specifications.

But the computer makers are fighting back: they claimed that if they’d followed Microsoft’s hardware requirements and ramped up production, they'd have ended up building a lot of high-end expensive slabs that consumers didn’t understand nor want.

The Reg
has learned Microsoft provided clear and specific guidance on the hardware it wanted inside any machine running Windows 8 so as to show off and utilise the operating system's new capabilities, such as the touch-driven interface. Microsoft also gave its advice on the mix of high and low-end form-factors manufacturers should build, namely Ultrabooks, hybrids and simple laptops.

Windows 8 should have worked on any current specification tablet/laptop and, again, manufacturers question the point of RT.

Also, release the Surface only in the US/Canada and there'll be enough reviews, good and bad, that any subsequent worldwide release will effectively be a flop. Other manufacturers would have taken the kudos, if any, and the Surface will be another me too device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Back