Solved Windows 8 Shutdown Tiles

Hey guys really didn't know were to post this, But after days of looking for a fast and pretty way to
shutdown,restart,sleep and lock my computer in windows 8 i came up with this solution

I have created very simple batch files with commands to shutdown,restart,lock,sleep that are simple to create
and use a simple tool to add your own tiles to the start menu called OblyTile(freeware)

Hope this helps someone

Download my Batch files and icons here Also includes OblyTile

If you don't want to use my Batch files for security reasons its easy to create your own
Make a new txt file copy each line in red from below into the body of the txt file.

To Lock type "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation" then save as Lock.bat

To Shut Down type "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00" then save as Shut Down.bat

To Sleep type "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0" then save as Sleep.bat

To Restart type "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00" then save as Restart.bat

OblyTile is very self explanatory, But for the 30x30 icon just use the 256x256 win8 will re size it
Screen2.png

This is what mine look like, You can select any color you like
Screen1.png

Screen.png

Thaylor

What you have set up is an excellent idea.

I am not sure about the copyright issue because I did not read the acceptance fine print and any type modification may be included. What you have done is already post this as a public issue with no intention of violating MSN rules.

If I were you I would get on the MSN support site and present this question to those people. With this in mind they can see that you are attempting to be honest with them and nothing adverse.

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo C540 All in One x64
    CPU
    C540
    Memory
    5GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LED
    Hard Drives
    1TB
Great start screen icons!

Looking at first post:
A batch file is an extra step. The same procedure works better directly if you make shortcuts.

I was late:
Sorry it seems this was already posted here:
guys, if you're having problems, just create shortcuts to shutdown and restart. then pin the shortcuts to the start screen. if you want to use these graphics, assign then to your shortcut.
for your target in your shutdown shortcut: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

for your target in your restart shortcut: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 -f

Just to say that with batch files you see a black command prompt window for a while but with shortcuts is flawless.
Both methods work, so for those that like the batches, keep them.
:)

I tried shortcuts first but when placing them in the start screen using OblyTiles it didn't link to the right part of the shortcut and thus they didn't work, That is why i used batch files instead. And i was also using the shortcuts placed in the start menu folder but lets face it they are ugly icons :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Great start screen icons!

Looking at first post:
A batch file is an extra step. The same procedure works better directly if you make shortcuts.

I was late:
Sorry it seems this was already posted here:
guys, if you're having problems, just create shortcuts to shutdown and restart. then pin the shortcuts to the start screen. if you want to use these graphics, assign then to your shortcut.
for your target in your shutdown shortcut: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

for your target in your restart shortcut: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 -f

Just to say that with batch files you see a black command prompt window for a while but with shortcuts is flawless.
Both methods work, so for those that like the batches, keep them.
:)

I tried shortcuts first but when placing them in the start screen using OblyTiles it didn't link to the right part of the shortcut and thus they didn't work, That is why i used batch files instead. And i was also using the shortcuts placed in the start menu folder but lets face it they are ugly icons :p

I think you can specify you own icons even with shortcuts, no need to use the default dll's. Use custom or self-made hires ICO files.
Too bad the size is small. So OblyTile does a great job. I guess I'll give it a try.
But anyway if it worked with batches, that's all right.

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Hey guys really didn't know were to post this, But after days of looking for a fast and pretty way to
shutdown,restart,sleep and lock my computer in windows 8 i came up with this solution

I have created very simple batch files with commands to shutdown,restart,lock,sleep that are simple to create
and use a simple tool to add your own tiles to the start menu called OblyTile(freeware)

Hope this helps someone

Download my Batch files and icons here Also includes OblyTile

If you don't want to use my Batch files for security reasons its easy to create your own
Make a new txt file copy each line in red from below into the body of the txt file.

To Lock type "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation" then save as Lock.bat

To Shut Down type "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00" then save as Shut Down.bat

To Sleep type "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0" then save as Sleep.bat

To Restart type "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00" then save as Restart.bat

OblyTile is very self explanatory, But for the 30x30 icon just use the 256x256 win8 will re size it
Screen2.png

This is what mine look like, You can select any color you like
Screen1.png

Screen.png

In the power options.rar file after extracting, neither I found oblytile nor shutdown.png. What to do?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows8.1;OSX 10.10.3;vb with debian,ubuntu and Windows 10 TP
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Vivobook S400CA
    CPU
    i5-3317U
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel4000
    Hard Drives
    HDD 500GB;24GB SSD Cache
You don't need to use batch files

For restart for example, in Oblytile:

Put "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe" in Program Path
In Arguements, put "-r -t 00"
...without quotes of course.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
You don't need to use batch files

For restart for example, in Oblytile:

Put "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe" in Program Path
In Arguements, put "-r -t 00"
...without quotes of course.

Ah good point lol missed that second line

And somehow the second rar i put up is missing Obly Tiles Download it here

And the shutdown Png is called "Power" .....dont ask why lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hi,

Great idea. I downloaded but not tile in zipped file? Did you remove it?

Thanks,
Don

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional (x64)
    Toshiba PORTEGE R700
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-370M (2400.0 MHz)
    Motherboard
    Portable PC (Intel HM55 (IbexPeak-M DH))
    Memory
    (Dual-Channel) 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Graphics (Ironlake) Integrated Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Intel Series/34x0 Chipset PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B3]
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auburndale/Arrandale Processor - Integrated Graphics Controller [Toshiba AIS]
    Screen Resolution
    1024x768
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS545050B9A300 (476,940 MBytes (500 GB))
    Case
    Laptop
    Mouse
    Synaptics Touch Pad
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Other Info
    --------------------------------------
    Summary
    --------------------------------------
    Computer Brand Name: TOSHIBA PORTEGE R700
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601
    Service Pack: Service Pack 1
    Processor:
Screen.png
Awesome Start screen setup. I would probably really like Windows 8 on PC if I had a Start screen setup like that. Thanks, I'll definitely try to do this too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro w/ Media Center x64
I see you're checking out different threads on customization. That's good. :)

I use Start Screen as is in 8 and 8.1RP, but once I upgrade to 8.1 RTM I may get into tile customization with 3rd party programs. These members have great ideas.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I see you're checking out different threads on customization. That's good. :)

I use Start Screen as is in 8 and 8.1RP, but once I upgrade to 8.1 RTM I may get into tile customization with 3rd party programs. These members have great ideas.
Lol, yeah, I'm really starting to like Windows 8.1 (I'm coming from Win 7) and the possibility to have it setup exactly how you want. I think a Start/Metro screen could be really nice and useful to eliminate Desktop clutter and have instant quick toggle back/forth access to a background window with everything frequently used and important.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro w/ Media Center x64
Back