Solved Windows 8: should i or should i not upgrade from windows 7?

Alpha0mega

Hello everyone, particularly to all those who were able to upgrade and now using the OS windows 8 from windows 7.

I am just getting the opinions, or the experiences good or not so good or bad or worst as it may, after installing windows 8.

Is it really a wise move to upgrade?

Coz with windows 7 as my OS, I am satisfied using it.. but I hear that others are upgrading to Win8.

Disregarding the use of a TOUCH SCREEN (which is a must to have for win8), can you tell me the pros/con Win7 vs Win8?

Thanks for sharing your ideas..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 (default) & Win8Enterprise 64
    CPU
    intel i3 2ndgen 3.1ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI MS7788
    Graphics Card(s)
    GT430
If you are not comfortable backing up your current irreplaceable data, and then installing Windows 8 cleanly do not do it. There are so many factors that come into play when you attempt an upgrade on a current Windows installation. Many in this forum have had good luck upgrading, others have not. You can lose all your data!! Many factors come into play when you upgrade: Incompatible drivers, incompatible apps(especially virus scanners), and viruses will cause problems. When you do a clean install where you backup your data, and then format and install the new OS you end up with a dramatic increase in the chance the installation will be a success and you won't have odd issues.

Windows 8 has many advantages over Windows 7. I like the ability to run Metro apps if I want to, boots faster, storage spaces is nice, virus scanning is now built in, and it seems to run a bit faster.

The desktop start menu missing causes quite a bit of aggravation at first as users have gotten used to using the start menu over the last 17 years, and some don't know any other way of doing the things that you get from the start menu. You have to either install a third party app or learn new ways to accomplish the desktop start menu tasks.

Bottom line is there is nothing in Windows 8 desktop that is a dramatic improvement over Windows 7 desktop, so if you are happy with 7, just keep using 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Homebuilt special
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTS250
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    big ones
    PSU
    lots of power
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Intel
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    smokin
    Browser
    IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Microsoft
@ddeen / @all: i run windows 8 upgrade assistant tool, and it notified me of that 17 programs &/or applications are not compatible with windows 8 and required/asked me to uninstall before proceeding with the upgrade..

>> how about having my system on DUAL BOOT, will there be a problem or has anyone with a dual win7-win8 dual boot encountered any problems?

i have a H61M-P31G3 MSI mainboard, N430GT videocard, 500GB HDD, intel core i3 2nd gen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 (default) & Win8Enterprise 64
    CPU
    intel i3 2ndgen 3.1ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI MS7788
    Graphics Card(s)
    GT430
Dual boot is a good way to try an OS as long as you have a couple of hard drives or at least a couple of partitions on 1 drive. That way you wouldn't have to uninstall anything from your 7 install. If you only have 1 partition on the 500GB drive, you'll need to repartition using disk manager to split it into 2 partitions. Do not do this without backing up your irreplaceable data first. You'll need a partition to install 8 on of at least 50 GB in size.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt special
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTS250
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    big ones
    PSU
    lots of power
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Intel
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    smokin
    Browser
    IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Microsoft
If you enjoy tinkering with your computer, are perhaps the kind of person who re-installs Windows every year or so just to get the cobwebs out, maybe have tried Linux once or twice, then go for it! If not, then as a non-touchscreen desktop or laptop user, I don't think you'll see any advantage over Windows 7. Possible exception: if you are head-over-heels in LOVE with the ribbon interface, you might like having it in your File Explorer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I'm still dual-booting 8 and 7. I really dont see corporate people moving to 8 right now, and 7 is rock solid. I use some tech apps that really need 7. Anyways 8 is very good for my personal use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
I am still running Windows 7 and Window 8 Pro RTM in dual boot and still have a few programs on Win 7 that I have not tried on Win 8 but will do so shortly after I check if they are upgraded for Win 8. Most Win 7 programs will run fine on Win 8 but there are always some that are tricky to get working right. A touch screen is not required as it works just fine with a mouse and keyboard.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
I used the Preview release for 20 minutes and thought I saw enough new thinking above the hood and under the hood to go for it when it was released. I even rebuilt my computer, lol.

However, I have had some pains - UEFI (which is my new motherboard, not Windows 8) gave me fits for 6 hours. My Chrome just wigged out when started from the Start screen. It was the xMarks plug-in but the way Windows seems to start a different Chrome instance or whatever made it a devil to troubleshoot. My Logitech DFGT wheel works, but not well and the software/drivers have not been updated yet, Had to install some old .NET framework to get my AMD Catalyst Control Center to work so I could fix underscan on my TV output, etc. None of these are "showstoppers" but, it leads me to think that if you are not the type of person who either likes or can deal with things going weird, there is no harm or shame in waiting ~6 months or so for things to stabilize and mature in terms of drivers, software and Windows 8 updates itself.

If you are cool with troubleshooting things occasionally, go for it, I think it's (obviously) the future of Windows and I think their best update since Windows 2000 Professional and XP ended the crash train that was Windows 95/98. Otherwise, Windows 7 is in a good place - mature and stable.

Just my opinion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64, OS X Mountain Lion, CentOS
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
    Memory
    32GB Corsair XMS
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS HD6950 2GB + Intel HD4000
    Sound Card
    built-in Via
    Monitor(s) Displays
    two Samsung SyncMaster XL2370, Sony 46" TV
    Screen Resolution
    HD 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 256GB boot, 1GB Western Digital Black, 3TB Hitachi, a pile of 1.5 and 2TB Seagates in differing states of near or impending failure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750
    Case
    Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212Evo + Artic Silver 5
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated (wired)
    Mouse
    whatever wired 1000dpi I have laying around, a bag full of dead Logitech LS21
    Internet Speed
    Comcast Business whatever they give me for $60/mo
I'm still dual-booting 8 and 7. I really dont see corporate people moving to 8 right now, and 7 is rock solid. I use some tech apps that really need 7. Anyways 8 is very good for my personal use.

Yeah, I don't see corporate adoption of Windows 8. No way they leave Windows 7 for this. I like Windows 8, but, Microsoft should be prepared to support Windows 7 for a while on the corporate side. I think they already said no Service Pack 2 in an effort to force people to think about 8. I think they should rethink steps like that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64, OS X Mountain Lion, CentOS
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
    Memory
    32GB Corsair XMS
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS HD6950 2GB + Intel HD4000
    Sound Card
    built-in Via
    Monitor(s) Displays
    two Samsung SyncMaster XL2370, Sony 46" TV
    Screen Resolution
    HD 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 256GB boot, 1GB Western Digital Black, 3TB Hitachi, a pile of 1.5 and 2TB Seagates in differing states of near or impending failure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750
    Case
    Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212Evo + Artic Silver 5
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated (wired)
    Mouse
    whatever wired 1000dpi I have laying around, a bag full of dead Logitech LS21
    Internet Speed
    Comcast Business whatever they give me for $60/mo
Coz with windows 7 as my OS, I am satisfied using it.. but I hear that others are upgrading to Win8.

You reply to your question, if you satisfy , there not need to change. From what I can see , you have more than 50% peoples who dislike Windows 8, but mainly everyone seems to like Windows 7, so I say, you have less than 50% to like it ( and I'm generous here)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
Have been using w8 on a new laptop for 5 days now.

If you are happy for your OS to drop into mobile mode at any time, install w8. If you have a laptop or desktop and want to continue to take advantage of those platforms, stick with w7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
If you believe that you will someday upgrade to W8, then by all means get it now while it's cheap. If you are comfortable with W7, you will have no problem with the basics. Desktop mode is basically W7 with a few little changes.
Because I am not currently rebuilding my PC, I just upgraded right over my W7. Besides taking FOREVER to port all of my information over in the install, everything is working fine so far after 3 days.
I would back up all of your important files, music and video and just let it rip.
I did a dual boot from W7 32bit to 64bit, just in case there were issues. I don't think I ever went back to the 32 bit install after the first week.
If you plan on doing the dual OS boot, I would suggest shrinking your partition of your W7 drive a bit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I wish service packs would just go away altogether. My company lags behind service pack releases by about a year, which sometimes causes issues running newer apps. We get normal updates right away though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt special
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTS250
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    big ones
    PSU
    lots of power
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Intel
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    smokin
    Browser
    IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Microsoft
If you believe that you will someday upgrade to W8, then by all means get it now while it's cheap. If you are comfortable with W7, you will have no problem with the basics. Desktop mode is basically W7 with a few little changes.
Because I am not currently rebuilding my PC, I just upgraded right over my W7. Besides taking FOREVER to port all of my information over in the install, everything is working fine so far after 3 days.
I would back up all of your important files, music and video and just let it rip.
I did a dual boot from W7 32bit to 64bit, just in case there were issues. I don't think I ever went back to the 32 bit install after the first week.
If you plan on doing the dual OS boot, I would suggest shrinking your partition of your W7 drive a bit.

you do realize that's illegal to dual boot with the Windows 7 you update from ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Going from Vista to Windows 7 was like buying a new car. Going to Windows 8 is like taking the new car and moving to a new city. If you are adventurous and don't mind learning your way around go for it. If you are happy with 7 and you need to take care of business everyday there is really no reason to make the switch. Personally I found 8 to be a pain in the butt, but I don't care about the new features.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7

That particular one wasn't an upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro

That particular one wasn't an upgrade.

it's not what I'm reading

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info

You do know they'll do it anyway right? At least until proper theming arrives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
You know, I've been using Windows 8 since day one of beta development, from the early alpha build leaks, to the Developer Preview, Consumer, Release and RTM preview builds. The first word I said when I finished installing the Windows 8 Developer Preview was, "Whoa!" Since then, it's been an interesting ride that I enjoyed!

Honestly, there are a LOT of under the hood tweaks that makes Windows 8 flow like hot oil, especially if you have a SSD. It's fast and fluid, like Microsoft describes. With a mouse, some argue it's clunky and unintuitive to use. I personally use the Microsoft Touch Mouse, and I haven't physically clicked and dragged a window to snap it to the side in a LONG time. I did it the other day, it felt so clunky and odd since I've been using touch gestures to do that. Windows 8 in reality is pretty nice to use with a mouse. When you get a good hang of it, it just flows. That, along with a decently arranged Start Screen, multitasking becomes more efficient than it ever was with 7 and the start menu.

One of the things I do love about Windows 8 is how uber efficient it is over 7, both system resource wise and straight up electrically. It uses less energy to run the system, which in turn reduces power rates, and reduces heat output and slightly less stress on system components in the long run. From my time running 8, I haven't had ONE SINGLE SLOW DOWN. Not even one! My cold boot times have progressively gotten quicker, and stability is supreme. Before with 7, I'd had to do some advanced things to restore boot times as they progressively got slower and slower over time. I think that partly comes from the Automatic Maintenance feature of 8, as it runs the built in anti-virus scanner (Windows Defender), defrags the hard drive (I have it set to run EVERY day and it actually does where 7 did it when the hard drive was 10% fragmented), and does some other system tasks to keep it running smoothly. Action Center does a better job of alerting you of system warnings. For example, it'll tell you that startup entries are making it run slower than crap, then lets you open the new Task Manager to disable the ones you don't need starting up. With a third party anti-virus, it uses Action Center as a consolidated warning center to alert you of malware detection or outdated databases.

I personally love using the new metro apps in Windows 8, as I don't have to look like a dungeon troll with my Windows Phone in front of a MUCH more competent hardware that I can use to browse the same apps faster and better. I don't have to use two devices to browse different content, I can just use my PC to do both.

The design of the Start Screen to some is off-putting, but many seem to be enjoying it. It's a pretty flexible UI that can be what you make of it. Just need Desktop apps and items on it? Sure go ahead. Want some metro apps along side the Desktop apps? Yep! Just want metro apps? YES!

If you want to make the upgrade, there really isn't much against it really.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back