Windows 8 RTM build 8518 screenshots appear - no more Aero!

New screenshots have appeared of the Windows 8 RTM branch, courtesy of WinUnleaked, that reveal some last-minute changes and additions made by the Windows team. First up, in the coloring menu Microsoft has removed the option, previously seen in June, to independently color the taskbar and windows, meaning you are now stuck with the same color for both. Also, Internet Explorer 10 now interacts with the color that you choose, and new tabs and buttons have been spotted.

Read more and check out the screenshots here: Windows 8 RTM build 8518 screenshots appear - Neowin

They did it... They finally did it!
And I have to comment on this right away, because it has been quite a while since I posted anything new. Like many others, I had my doubts, my complains, prejudices and a decent amount of laziness towards the upcoming Win8. But I think Microsoft finally stepped up, gathered its strength, and delivered!

No more Aero in Windows 8! I loved it from the first time I saw it in Vista, it looked gorgeous, fancy and sexy - true eye candy! Win7 suffered from Aero in its bland simplicity and flatness, and Win8 did no better. But I personally think that this is a big, big turnaround for me, and it just might be something that, among other reasons I have discovered with the Release Preview, will make me decide to get the OS when it hits the shelves.

Aero is a nice UI element. I don't think I've ever heard ANYONE say bad against it.

Having said that, I was initially kind of skeptical with the removal of Aero in 8. It was mostly due to the fact that some leaked screen shots were showing just a flatten Aero UI and nothing that looked sleek. Then comes the official release of Microsoft of the RTM Desktop of 8, and then came Office 2013. WOW. Simply put, WOW. That, is how one does a metro designed Desktop UI. And since that will be the Windows Desktop, YAY! :dinesh:

Aero looked real cool when it came out with vista. Aero looked nice and refined in 7. But it has one thing true, it doesn't reflect what a true software UI looks like. It's an emulator or a digitizer of physical elements into a flat 2D screen.

The thing about metro design is, it LOOKS and appears to be a true looking software UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I said this once, and I said it again: there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Vista. It has bugs, glitches and mistakes just like any other OS, but the general public gave their best to overblow them out of proportions.
Windows Vista works 3x better than Windows 7 on my rig, and that's saying A LOT!!!

Vista better than Win7... Never ! 7 is what Vista sould have been.

I elaborated this back on SevenForums. Long story short, IMHO, Vista is an unstable eye-candy, 7 is an unpolished troll that runs faster than "your average car". Of course 7 is better in terms of performance, but Vista has always been much better to me because I never really had so many problems. Actually, I had less problems than 7 which I still acknowledge as a "better OS".

Aero is a nice UI element. I don't think I've ever heard ANYONE say bad against it.

Having said that, I was initially kind of skeptical with the removal of Aero in 8. It was mostly due to the fact that some leaked screen shots were showing just a flatten Aero UI and nothing that looked sleek. Then comes the official release of Microsoft of the RTM Desktop of 8, and then came Office 2013. WOW. Simply put, WOW. That, is how one does a metro designed Desktop UI. And since that will be the Windows Desktop, YAY! :dinesh:

Aero looked real cool when it came out with vista. Aero looked nice and refined in 7. But it has one thing true, it doesn't reflect what a true software UI looks like. It's an emulator or a digitizer of physical elements into a flat 2D screen.

The thing about metro design is, it LOOKS and appears to be a true looking software UI.

Personally, "nice and refined" is what I think of Vista, not 7, but otherwise, I completely agree with you :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Intel B960 Sandy Bridge (2.2GHz, 2MB L3 cache)
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce GT630M with 1GB dedicated VRAM + Intel HD
    Sound Card
    Integrated audio with 2xHigh Definition Dolby® v4 speakers
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" HD LED Acer CineCrystal™ (high-brightness 200-nit)
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Acer FineTip & MultiTouch Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
When I first saw screenshots of the new user interface, I didn't like it at all. But, few days ago I downloaded a Microsoft Office customer preview, and... wow! It looks great! If Windows Explorer is going to look like that, or similar, I will never turn my computer off. :D

:ditto:

Wow... how are you guys managing this!
It seems I'm not affected by the plain white looks (yet) maybe if I can still get some color into it.

I said this once, and I said it again: there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Vista. It has bugs, glitches and mistakes just like any other OS, but the general public gave their best to overblow them out of proportions.
Windows Vista works 3x better than Windows 7 on my rig, and that's saying A LOT!!!

Vista better than Win7... Never ! 7 is what Vista sould have been.

I elaborated this back on SevenForums. Long story short, IMHO, Vista is an unstable eye-candy, 7 is an unpolished troll that runs faster than "your average car". Of course 7 is better in terms of performance, but Vista has always been much better to me because I never really had so many problems. Actually, I had less problems than 7 which I still acknowledge as a "better OS".

Vista better than 7!
Just curious, what machine/model is this you're using?

The Aero look changed during the versions and it's just a matter of taste. Some like the Vista Aero, others the Win7 Aero...
Well I'm glad they took out the classic theme(s) because they were already museum stuff.

I don't mind the new themes: keep em coming.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I have my system specs filled out, build the rig myself in late '09, just before 7 was released.
And again, I'm not saying Vista is better than 7, I'm just saying I preferred Vista over 7 in its appearance. My GPU being defective now, 7 is horrible to run while Vista had no problems with it... and now, neither has 8 :)
I mean, the performance is far below average, but in 7, it was even worse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
In my opinion it's hideous. They haven't got a clue if they want to go completely metro either as they still have the old 3D super detailed icons and it completely clashes with the user interface. Plus the revert icons did it best being the happy medium between super flatness with no dimension with legibility issues and then the super glossy aero. I would like a happy medium or even keep aero because this new layout is a flat mess. At least everything for the most part goes together visually in aero. Not so much here. It's a disaster. I'm not against people that like the look, I'm against the look. I actually like metro but it doesn't work on something as complicated on a desktop. It looks okay if they take the influence or the philosophy but making everything flat doesn't work because desktop is not just about content consumption unlike if you use a music player such as zune. Even on the phone it looks odd depending on what exactly you are doing. The buttons just look awkward specifically the text based ones. The idea is nice but execution even at this late stage in the game is quite disappointing.

My Computer

I'm really hoping they redo the iconography from Aero to metro, like in Office 2013. Ooohhh.... I feel so clean.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
When I first saw screenshots of the new user interface, I didn't like it at all. But, few days ago I downloaded a Microsoft Office customer preview, and... wow! It looks great! If Windows Explorer is going to look like that, or similar, I will never turn my computer off. :D

:ditto:

Wow... how are you guys managing this!

I honestly don't know, I tend to remove the white color wherever I can, but the moment I saw Office UI I fell in love with it... Screenshots show that Windows Explorer UI is not completely the same, but it's close enough in my opinion.

I'm really hoping they redo the iconography from Aero to metro, like in Office 2013. Ooohhh.... I feel so clean.

+1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X4 9550
    Motherboard
    Asus M3N78 SE
    Memory
    4GB Kingston DDR2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4670
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 226V
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    WD 320 GB x2
    Internet Speed
    8 Mbit/s
I honestly don't know, I tend to remove the white color wherever I can, but the moment I saw Office UI I fell in love with it... Screenshots show that Windows Explorer UI is not completely the same, but it's close enough in my opinion.

+1

So a white balance of colors was found after all. Thanks.

Well you guys are right about Win8 Explorer: in the RP, the ribbon is just like in Office 2010.
If they do work on new icons, we'll probably get a Office 2013 look in the RTM (seems logic).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I have my system specs filled out, build the rig myself in late '09, just before 7 was released.
And again, I'm not saying Vista is better than 7, I'm just saying I preferred Vista over 7 in its appearance. My GPU being defective now, 7 is horrible to run while Vista had no problems with it... and now, neither has 8 :)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Glad that 8 works on that GPU. That Win7 problem is a bit weird: it seems like it uses more 'gpu power' than Win8. Don't know if it was a driver problem or not but if Win8 graphics work better than Win7 on a older, possible defect gpu then I might also switch to 8 on my laptop. I also have an overheated GPU (in a Acer Aspire 7720...) that I got running again and it's currently running well on Vista (also).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Glad that 8 works on that GPU. That Win7 problem is a bit weird: it seems like it uses more 'gpu power' than Win8. Don't know if it was a driver problem or not but if Win8 graphics work better than Win7 on a older, possible defect gpu then I might also switch to 8 on my laptop. I also have an overheated GPU (in a Acer Aspire 7720...) that I got running again and it's currently running well on Vista (also).

I'm not sure if its a problem with the drivers... Possibly.
The thing is, Vista and 7 have the same GPU drivers, 8 has its own. On Vista everything is fine, on 7 it's like when the driver crashes in XP and reverts everything back to 16bit color or something, except Aero still works, and all the animations are still there. It just looks 16bit and decaying lol
8, like Vista, totally has no problems like that, it's just 7 that trips the hell out xD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
I really enjoyed the new "flatter" aero glass seen in the release preview. If I can't hack aero back in[along with desktop gadgets] then I might just go back to windows 7 with a windows 8 theme.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
I really enjoyed the new "flatter" aero glass seen in the release preview. If I can't hack aero back in[along with desktop gadgets] then I might just go back to windows 7 with a windows 8 theme.

Yes it was a nice theme, a lighter aero. But it seems to be just a transition to the non-transparent version.

Too bad we need hacks to get this in Win7. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard