Solved Windows 8 Pro Upgrade ONLINE vs DVD version and Language!

ElGreco

Hi all,

I have an account at a local computer shop that has windows 8 pro 64 bit upgrade DVD version for 60E. Since I have some money left on that account, i was thinking of buying the retail DVD of windows 8 pro upgrade instead of using the online procedure with the 40$.

My concern is the following:
The Retail Upgrade Windows 8 PRO UPGRADE DVD package is in my local language version and not the English language version I would prefer. Its NOT the version 3UR-00022 (ref. to English)

So, the question is... Can I use the product key number found inside the non-English version DVD box of Windows 8 upgrade pro, to download and activate the english version of windows 8 pro uprgrade OR each key is also related to the default language to be initially installed in my system?

Looking forward to your help...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
Once Win8 is installed, you can install any of the language packs, and works in whichever language you like.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 64-bit and Win8 32-bit in VM (+ others in VM)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus K52F
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    it's an i3 :)
    Sound Card
    Conexant (rubbish - or it may be the speakers)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Internet Speed
    whatever I can get - G3
English may even be an option during the installation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Thanks guys...
I am aware of the language packs but still, i hate installing several useless dlls of other languages. I like my system as clean as possible :)

Even Microsoft recommends to install an upgrade of the same language during the upgrade process and then change. So, imagine the mess that will be caused by installing a non-english upgrade on top of english win 7 and then revert back to english... :(

Thats why i intend to use the english win 8 pro upgrade iso file of a friend with my non-english upgrade product key, and i was wondering if this can actually be done without conflict?!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
Thanks guys...
I am aware of the language packs but still, i hate installing several useless dlls of other languages. I like my system as clean as possible :)

Even Microsoft recommends to install an upgrade of the same language during the upgrade process and then change. So, imagine the mess that will be caused by installing a non-english upgrade on top of english win 7 and then revert back to english... :(

Thats why i intend to use the english win 8 pro upgrade iso file of a friend with my non-english upgrade product key, and i was wondering if this can actually be done without conflict?!

I believe that you can use that key on dvd box to install that online upgrade offer, so if your windows is english version the just use that key and download English version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro mce
Why not upgrade on line and create installation media during the process?

The DVD you will end up burning is just the same as the one in the nice shiny retail box that costs far too much to produce and stock.

It's a win-win, no?

Hint:
Have it make an ISO which you then burn, then you can make more if the disk gets damaged.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro Pack x64
    JohnOfE Special
    Other Info
    Too many systems and combinations!

The DVD you will end up burning is just the same as the one in the nice shiny retail box that costs far too much to produce and stock.

It's a win-win, no?

Hint:
Have it make an ISO which you then burn, then you can make more if the disk gets damaged.

Because i have some "useless" credit (small amount of money) left at that shop, i prefer to use instead of buying the cheaper online version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
On previous versions of Windows such as Vista and 7, the retail install disk is different than the ISO downloaded. In some cases, the retail disk was needed for repairs. I have not read anything similar for Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP, Vista, 7
Incorrect - ONLY in XP was the OEM dsk different to the Retail disk, and neither could be legally downloaded, since MS never put publicly-accessible uploads up.
In both Vista and Win7, the MS download will happily activate with either an OEM COA Key, or a retail or retail Upgrade Key, under the right conditions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 64-bit and Win8 32-bit in VM (+ others in VM)
    Asus K52F
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    it's an i3 :)
    Sound Card
    Conexant (rubbish - or it may be the speakers)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Internet Speed
    whatever I can get - G3

It's a win-win, no?

Hint:

Because i have some "useless" credit (small amount of money) left at that shop, i prefer to use instead of buying the cheaper online version.
But why waste money. Buy a USB stick or a disk from that shop instead.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Incorrect - ONLY in XP was the OEM dsk different to the Retail disk, and neither could be legally downloaded, since MS never put publicly-accessible uploads up.
In both Vista and Win7, the MS download will happily activate with either an OEM COA Key, or a retail or retail Upgrade Key, under the right conditions.

I did not say anything about OEM builds because they are very different. The XP upgrade disks did not include Recovery Console like the full version did. Vista and W7 computers had problems when the disk drive failed on an upgraded Windows install. Many times, the new disk drive was installed but the upgrade disk did not work because the OEM build was not installed. The average user did not know that they were suppose to build a Recovery Disk in Control Panel.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP, Vista, 7

It's a win-win, no?

Hint:

But why waste money. Buy a USB stick or a disk from that shop instead.

You are right, but there is nothing of interest to me in the shop i ve the credit apart from win 8 upgrade. So, its better to use my credit instead of "loosing" it in something useless plus paying another 30E for the online win 8 version...

Also, (eventhough ALL the programs i use in my pc are registered-payed- original) i dont really like the idea of giving all my personal data online when MS privacy agreement is so "loose" and open. But thats a secondary reason only...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
If you're just getting the Pro upgrade, make sure you get the free media centre key so that your windows products can decode MPEG2 the proper way. It's free so the rest of you can save your breath about VLC, codec packs, etc etc, it's all great I know...

I highly recommend it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro Pack x64
    JohnOfE Special
    Other Info
    Too many systems and combinations!
If you're just getting the Pro upgrade, make sure you get the free media centre key so that your windows products can decode MPEG2 the proper way. It's free so the rest of you can save your breath about VLC, codec packs, etc etc, it's all great I know...

I highly recommend it.

How can i get tat key and also, i intend to instead win 8 pro upgrade in a few months. Will that be ok to activate with that key media center by then?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
Guys,

I just spoke to MS and they told me the following:

a. If my base (previous) windows installation was EN based, then the upgrade should also be EN. (I believe that otherwise there is a danger to loose your previous data if changing langauages DURING the upgrade)
b. Using a non-english product key in an english upgrade version is not for sure it will work. The last years the product keys are not language related, but still they cannot guarantee, such a mix of English upgrade iso and nonEnglish product key will work properly.
c. The media center to be given for free has to be activated until 31-1-2013

Thank you all for your inputs!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
I can confirm that non english keys works on english windows 8 upgrade so if your current windows is english version then even online upgrade offer download will be english, windows 8 keys aren't laguange related no matter where you buy it, dvd media can be single laguange editions but you can use your key from dvd case to download that english media from microsoft if you want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro mce
I can confirm that non english keys works on english windows 8 upgrade so if your current windows is english version then even online upgrade offer download will be english, windows 8 keys aren't laguange related no matter where you buy it, dvd media can be single laguange editions but you can use your key from dvd case to download that english media from microsoft if you want.

Thanks a LOT for your reply, but now i have already ordered the en version of the upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
Back