Windows 8 Pro and Windows Phone Upgrade

roystreet

This is for those of you who will be upgrading to Windows 8 Pro soon...Like myself
I was wondering what was the general consensus on those upgrading to Windows are also now looking at upgrading to the new Windows 8 phones coming out soon.

I love Windows 8 on my tablet and certainly looking to upgrading for the $15 deal...But I'm also ready to upgrade from my iPhone 4 to one of the new Windows 8 phones coming out.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the new Nokia 920 or 820

What are you likely to do?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Surface Pro 3 & Gateway PC
After seeing all of the WP7 phones get brutally bricked by MS(no WP8, etc.), I have no trust in the MS platform. Also, iOS and android both have much more functionality and better hardware, even if the user experience is not as slick.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
To answer the OP: I plan on getting a WP8 device to replace my 1st generation Samsung Focus.

To phailyoor: exactly how did "all of the 1P7 phones get brutally bricked by MS?" Actually, aside from the current lack of multi-core support (which is addressed with WP8), I'd really like to see you substantiate the rest of your post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4430s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2310M
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 SSD
    500GB Samsung Momentus
Windows phone and upgrade do not belong in the same sentence. It will of course be destroyed by android and apple.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
I'm going to buy a Surface Pro when money is available. I am seriously considering buying a Nokia Lumia 920 in January as the touch screen will lend itself out for winter usage, as well as the phenomenal camera.

But as for Microsoft bricking Windows Phone 7, ummm..android does it all the time. There were even hiccups in getting the latest android 4 devices upgraded to 4.1. Even Samsung I think popped in another gig of RAM on their phones to future proof it a year for android 5. Crappy software I say. Then there's the iphone 5. Doesn't hold its liquor compared to Windows Phone 8 or even android for that matter.

But as for support, Microsoft is going to port over certain non-hardware dependent capabilities of Windows Phone 8 to current devices. It's awfully absurd to think they hardware dependent features will come to Windows Phone 7. It's a complete shift in software and hardware that 7 didn't support. And seeing that they're building a software ecosystem, and they are using Windows NT core for their new Windows Phone and Xbox next year, it had to be done. Even still, Nokia Lumia users will be getting exclusive Nokia content and support for their phones which is more than current OEMs are doing. Overall, there is more support for Windows Phone 7 than an older android phone and more value-added benefits than an iphone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back