Solved Windows 8 Memory Management/Leaks

Hi Guy's, I dont want to jeopardize your discussion here, but just to inform you I'm following this post with interest as I have recently got a very similar problem on my new installation W8.1 64 bits. It happens only when I'm playing a few hours with BF4, never when I work for twice this length with typical office type of apps
Symptom is simple, when the memory jam occurs, my game start to lag then I cannot play anymore even to a point I cannot kill it and when I'm looking at tasks and space meory occupation, nothing special to the size of all tasks but memory shows 99% occupancy like if if was reserved or lost zombie memory
I though initially it was a memory problem as I have just installed a stack of 32 gb at the same time of install 8.1, but why would it be HW if all the day it is working fine? So I'm now more looking same direction as you do
hoping you come to a conclusion

I found also this post Windows 8 Extremely High Memory Usage ~8GB!!!!! [Solved] - disk usage - Windows 8
where a"lot" of people are having similar behavior than mine...good thing is...we are not alone, bad thing is it's there since a year...

If you have Killer e2200, Wireless-N 1102, 1103 and 1202 you are probably on the same wagon as i am... If you want to make it happen without gaming, get a few free big torrents and leave them on... It will start to increase that Non-Page-Pool area...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Finally I fixed it... The problem relies on Microsoft side, with Windows Network Data Usage Monitor... Ndu driver was introduced with Win8 and is actually quite buggy in combination with Realtek NIC... Here's some detail:

Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver - Windows 8 Service

This service provides network data usage monitoring functionality.
This service exists in Windows 8 only.
Startup Type

Windows 8 editionwithout SP
CoreAutomatic
ProfessionalAutomatic
EnterpriseAutomatic
Default Properties

Display name:Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver
Service name:Ndu
Type:kernel
Path:%WinDir%\system32\drivers\Ndu.sys
Error control:normal

Default Behavior

The Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver service is a kernel mode driver. If the Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver fails to start, the error is logged. Windows 8 startup proceeds, but a message box is displayed informing you that the Ndu service has failed to start.

To Fix Memory Leaks on Non-Paged-Pool:
Changed the registry value instead of using Autoruns:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu

Change the Start value to 4 (for disable).

After a lot of months looking for solutions i finally found mine and i hope others can fix their problems with this.

Thanks everyone for their help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop

After a lot of months looking for solutions i finally found mine and i hope others can fix their problems with this.

Can you explain this better. Where do I go to change that value?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

Hi,
Check this url for instructions, but be careful changing a wrong value could harm your system....
How to Use Regedit: 7 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Use steps 1-4... Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu and change start value to 4

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop

Hi,
Check this url for instructions, but be careful changing a wrong value could harm your system....

Use steps 1-4... Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu and change start value to 4
Kind of looks like what i need, but does not solve my problem, sadly :( Changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NDU\Start to 4 but OS still eats all 16gbs of Non-paged pool when torrent client is working...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

Hi,

Kind of looks like what i need, but does not solve my problem, sadly :( Changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NDU\Start to 4 but OS still eats all 16gbs of Non-paged pool when torrent client is working...

After you changed it... Did you restart your computer...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hi,

Yeah, i changed it to 4, restarted PC, started torrent downloads and here it is again - RAM's steadily filling up(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

Yeah, i changed it to 4, restarted PC, started torrent downloads and here it is again - RAM's steadily filling up(

Did you check if you had a Realtek as i mentioned... My problem was with some bug with Realtek and Windows 8 and i saw you got Windows 8.1... I dont know if something changed because i haven't updated yet... Make sure your ethernet card or your integrated one is a Realtek...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop

Did you check if you had a Realtek as i mentioned... My problem was with some bug with Realtek and Windows 8 and i saw you got Windows 8.1... I dont know if something changed because i haven't updated yet... Make sure your ethernet card or your integrated one is a Realtek...
No, they are not Realtek actually. Also, i was using mostly wifi, but while uploading files to a notebook via ethernet i got the same results: Non-paged pool rapidly grows till all the memory is consumed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

No, they are not Realtek actually. Also, i was using mostly wifi, but while uploading files to a notebook via ethernet i got the same results: Non-paged pool rapidly grows till all the memory is consumed.

Well... As I said before you got another environment than mine... You don't have Realtek and your OS is Win8.1... I suggest you to go and do this: http://www.eightforums.com/performa...s-8-memory-management-leaks-4.html#post287155

You need to analyze whats causing your problems... And see if you can find your answer... It could be a lot of reasons... Driver issues thats normally the first reason than comes in mind since it could make memory leaks on the OS, but sometimes could be a bug that could not be related with drivers and something that MSFT needs to fix... Try doing what i told you from post #33 and hope you can find your problem...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hello, I've had a similar issue, just fixed it, a driver memory leak.
Out of 32 GB, 30 GB were In Use in Task Manager or Resource Monitor, but apps were using much less.
Using RamMap I saw that 22GB were in Nonpaged Pool.
Using Driver Verifier I saw an unsigned driver, applecharger.sys and my issue was caused by it.
It was installed by ON/OFF tool ver. 2 from Gigabyte mainboard, AppCenter.
See here:
page fault in nonpaged area (applecharger.sys) error - Microsoft Community

After uninstalling On/Off all returned to normal, 8GB In Use :party:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Oh, i actually solved my problem with memory leak. It was a fault of ESET Smart Security. I was just trying to eliminate everything somehow affecting in/out traffic, obviously uninstalling firewall seemed an option as good as any other. So, I uninstalled it and even before restarting PC i've noticed, that Non-paged pool have stopped to grow.

Everyone, thanks for all the advices, be aware of the ESET behaviour on Win8. You'd probably want to change it, at least until it's fixed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
A quick and easy fix you should try first.....

I recently purchased ASUS CG8480 ROG gaming PC with 16 MB of RAM. Shortly after installing Win 8.1 upgrade I realized I had a memory leak issue. I sifting through countless forum pages, reset browsers, disabled ndu.sys -downloaded the windows development kit to get Poolmon.exe yet the problem either remained or I created an entirely new problem. I have included a link to the website for the free open source Driver Pack Solution Software which found and updated 15 drivers on my system in about 5 minutes
DriverPack Solution >> Best Drivers installation Software restarted and voila, no more memory leak!

I am in no way affiliated with this software nor is this a cloaked malware advert, I just wanted to save someone else the headache that I experienced. I used the 14th edition (couldn't find it on the website) of the software which supports the April 2014 and earlier update of Win 8.1

http://kickass.to/driver-pack-solution-14-r410-final-supports-windows-8-8-1-rtm-t8866939.html

My PC is now purring along using 23% of RAM and has been running for over 24 hrs and I have my sanity back :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Finally I fixed it... The problem relies on Microsoft side, with Windows Network Data Usage Monitor... Ndu driver was introduced with Win8 and is actually quite buggy in combination with Realtek NIC... Here's some detail:

Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver - Windows 8 Service

This service provides network data usage monitoring functionality.
This service exists in Windows 8 only.
Startup Type

Windows 8 editionwithout SP
CoreAutomatic
ProfessionalAutomatic
EnterpriseAutomatic
Default Properties

Display name:Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver
Service name:Ndu
Type:kernel
Path:%WinDir%\system32\drivers\Ndu.sys
Error control:normal

Default Behavior

The Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver service is a kernel mode driver. If the Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver fails to start, the error is logged. Windows 8 startup proceeds, but a message box is displayed informing you that the Ndu service has failed to start.

i've been having a huge issue and i think this may have solved it for me..my memory after doing this dropped from 80% (while only on desktop or limited in chrome) to 15% (with same usage)..hopefully this is the fix and i don't have to deal with this anymore! thanks so much.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
It's hard to say from the data gathered, as the issue has pretty much 100% occured in each trace, but the two tags most in use are Wfpn and NBNB, which translate back to netio.sys (network I/O subsystem) and ndu.sys (network data usage monitor). Since these tags in and of themselves aren't called by the OS to this level, something running on the machine is likely hammering the network stack. Also, since I don't see any indication of which process, it's likely going through typical OS binaries (like wininet.dll or winhttp.sys) to make it's network calls. I can see you have quite a bit of networking software on the box - mDNS, probably from iTunes or other Apple software, No-IP, a torrent client, and something called the Qualcomm Atheros Killer Network Monitor (remember one of the tags was the network monitoring one?). That last one is a major suspect, as is the torrent client. I would recommend disabling ALL of these applications, especially the Qualcomm software and the torrent client, and reboot and monitor. If the problem persists, get more data - otherwise, re-enable things one at a time until the problem comes back.

Given the tags and binaries called out by the trace, I'd wager it's either the Qualcomm software directly, or it's behavior with the torrent client running, that's causing this. However, anyone can guess, and I prefer data. Let's see what happens with the recommendations I made.

Thanks a lot cluberti! I was having this same problem, read through the thread, disabled the Qualcomm Atheros Killer Service and set it to "manual", restarted, and it's fixed!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    fatality z87 killer
    Memory
    8gig 2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    r9 290x
    Sound Card
    xfi titanium HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq XL2411z
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1 SSD
    2 HD
    PSU
    750w
    Keyboard
    mech
    Mouse
    IE 3.0
    Browser
    Firefox
Hi everyone. After reading through this and it leading me to the exact problem with the Qualcomm driver I thought I would post.

The leak with the driver comes with the bandwidth control (or at least for me it did). Simply open your killer network manager from the system tray, click network and untick enable bandwidth control and restart your computer. I monitored an increase in the non-paged pool of about 1mb every 3 seconds while downloading a game when bandwidth control was on and after turning it off and restarting it hasn't increased.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hi everyone. After reading through this and it leading me to the exact problem with the Qualcomm driver I thought I would post.

The leak with the driver comes with the bandwidth control (or at least for me it did). Simply open your killer network manager from the system tray, click network and untick enable bandwidth control and restart your computer. I monitored an increase in the non-paged pool of about 1mb every 3 seconds while downloading a game when bandwidth control was on and after turning it off and restarting it hasn't increased.

Hello. I have never posted on this forum but I just registered a username to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH Spellbound, this fixed it for me. For some reason I noticed my RAM usage was high. Did some research and found this forum thread. Went to last page, saw your post, unchecked Bandwith Control on the Killer Network Manager, it dropped from 61% usage (9GB non-paged memory) to 14% (122MB non-paged memory).

Again, thank you so much :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
hello,

i also seem to have the memory leak problem. i have 6gb ram and at this moment it is using 55% of it while i'm onlying using chrome.

My drivers are up to date.
I did a complete new installation of windows on sunday.
I tried to change te Ndu settings: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu
I checked out the box that says my pc can turnoff the wifi to save power.
I ran Rammap and it looks like i don't have a high non-pagedpool.
I can't finf the intellimem.exe file, so i don't think it's on my pc.

I can not find the problem and the sollution, is there any other thing i can try to solve this? It's getting really annoying at this time, cause when i'm playing games, the pc is shutting down the games because according to the pc the memory is too low.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
hello,

i also seem to have the memory leak problem. i have 6gb ram and at this moment it is using 55% of it while i'm onlying using chrome.

My drivers are up to date.
I did a complete new installation of windows on sunday.
I tried to change te Ndu settings: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu
I checked out the box that says my pc can turnoff the wifi to save power.
I ran Rammap and it looks like i don't have a high non-pagedpool.
I can't finf the intellimem.exe file, so i don't think it's on my pc.

I can not find the problem and the sollution, is there any other thing i can try to solve this? It's getting really annoying at this time, cause when i'm playing games, the pc is shutting down the games because according to the pc the memory is too low.

Did you check all these solutions:
1. Windows Network Data Usage Monitor + Realtek: post310078. Thanks to w0rtez

2. AppleCharger.sys: post368952. Thanks to LiviuS

3. ESET Smart Security: post369017. Thanks to LowPressure

4. Bandwith Control on the Killer Network Manager: post388189. Thanks to Spellbound

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back