Windows 8 is the new XP

This new version of Windows is a disaster. Power users can't wait to replace the UI, and businesses are avoiding it like the plague. I'm talking, of course, about Windows XP. Ah, how quickly we forget.

This new version of Windows is going to be a disaster, pundits say. It will be completely rejected by businesses, who will stick with old versions even after Microsoft drops support for
them.

And its new interface is so hideous and unusable that customers who are forced to use it will trip over themselves finding ways to restore the old Start menu.

I am, of course, talking about Windows XP, which was released 11 years ago this week. It lived down to all those insults and dire predictions for years before it finally and implausibly became a success.

Source: ZDnet

I would say Linux Mint, as I cannot stand the Unity interface that Ubuntu has moved to.
:ditto:
I feel sorry for Ubuntu because it was THE Linux that made me use it in the first place. But the interface has to please the user.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I would say Linux Mint, as I cannot stand the Unity interface that Ubuntu has moved to.
I feel sorry for Ubuntu because it was THE Linux that made me use it in the first place. But the interface has to please the user.
Absolutely true, and many diehard fans did up and jump ship based on the Unity interface that wasn't universally loved. In many respects it reminds me of the Metro interface. Supposed to be easier, more intuitive, designed for the future...but it was such a pain to work on, I simply moved onto something else that was more standard, the way it used to be, and it made me feel more productive getting things done rather than spending time trying to figure out how to get things done.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I've heard criticisms of every new OS, including Windows 7, there were/are many people that complained and didn't like it.
Many spent endless hours trying to make Windows 7 look like XP, most of them failed, completely corrupting it in the process and then complained that it didn't work and was slow. They went back to XP, where they wanted to be anyway.
No problem, if you like an OS use it, if not then don't.
It's not an issue for me, everyone has my permission to use the OS they want ;)

Yeah, my brother was like this. He hung around Windows XP forever and even when forced to migrate to Windows 7 due to a new computer, he spent a lot of time and effort making Windows 7 behave just like Windows XP. People are creatures of habit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Did someone say there is a LEAK :eek: :geek: :D

Is it called Windows Next again, Windows Blue or Windows Nine?

Link, please :p

It's gotta be in Alpha stage by now.

That's much faster and a good thing for people upgrading to Windows 8 on an existing PC. But it also makes it more plausible that Microsoft will deliver a new version of Windows far more often than we're used to. We've already argued that we might see Windows shift to yearly versions, and Mary Jo Foley reports sources saying a new release of Windows, codename Blue, could ship in 2013.

Some Rumors:
CES 2014: Windows 9 Beta
Mix 2014: 9 Release Candidate Windows
Building 2014: RTM of Windows 9
November 2014: Windows Release 9

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft plans to release Windows nine two years after the company released Windows 8 to the public.

/off topic

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
I agree, also Windows XP was the FIRST EVER O.S. to be shipped with Tablet-P.C.'s, it was the basis for the Xbox and Windows Mobile 2003.

Windows XP 8.png

Also Windows 8 is another O.S. used to try and unify Microsoft's O.S.'es into one large ''Microsoft Ecosystem'' and this time it will be succesful because the thing Windows 8 has that Windows XP didn't have is Microsoft SkyDrive to give all O.S.'es one unified experience, Windows 8 runs Xbox LIVE, Zune's marketplace (as Xbox Music & Xbox Video, respectively) and all (FORMER-)Windows Live-(Cloud-)Sevices are bundled with Windows 8 (excluding a handful which will probably be included in the Blue-update).

tL704y1366612579.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Browser
    Internet Explorer :-P
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials)
Win 8 now seems to have managed to get most of the functions of Ubuntu Unity working in windows.

Unfortunately, it is much worse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Actually Windows 7 will be the new XP, no doubt about it.

And I said that as soon as I saw Windows 8 many months ago.

At the time I was ridiculed "not here" for making such an outrageous statement.

Now everyone is saying it....:sarc:

I don't get you. Has your post got anything to do with the article?? And where is everyone saying it?? The article says Windows 8 is the new XP.

I totally agree with Chave65 and I see where he is coming from. He meant Win 7 will live as long as XP. That's for sure. And to add to his statement, "Win 8 is the new Vista" which everybody also hated.

And to go back to the article, it makes a lot of sense, too. It took more than 10 years before users started to love the XP but Microsoft didn't care and changed it again. Have they not learned anything from XP experience??? If this is some kind of trend, then we should not attach ourselves too much with Win 7 or Win 8 because it will be another big shock for everyone if Microsoft suddenly decides to change it again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
What, no one could fine a new article depicting hatred for windows 8 so they dug up an old one to see if they could get something going again. . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Me too Lee & H-G...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
What, no one could fine a new article depicting hatred for windows 8 so they dug up an old one to see if they could get something going again. . .

It works every time.:doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
I remember this being said back when XP came out - Many of my friends were loathe to install it, I was slightly. But I figured, since Windows 2000 was rock solid, and XP was based on it, then XP should be solid - And it was, and is. The actual span of time for this apprehension was short.

ZDnet actually spent a longer time pounding Vista to bits, it lasted maybe a year and then 7 came out. ZDnet is specifically divided on Windows 8 - Ed Bott loves it, and he was the main Vista detractor. So I would say Windows 8 is the new Vista, but that is not quite true as far as ZDnet goes. There is one major 8 detractor and one major 8 supporter, Both guys I believe were agreed on the lameness of Vista.

I wanted to be reminded of how bad Vista was - I had a machine that was a leftover, had a brand "new" version of Vista home basic. Only 512 Ram, Socket 775 Celeron. I updated the ram to 2 GB, and then installed the service packs. It STILL sucked.

I updated it to Windows 7, which took about 6 hours - But once 7 was in there, BOOM< fast machine, even with celeron, and the score went from 2.0 to 3.0- But then again, is the scoring for Vista different than 7?

I dunno, ZDnet may have hated XP at first, but they seem to have accepted it faster, they never did accept Vista.

[edit]But you have to remember - XP was intended to be the "Last OS ever" and updates were to be handled in the way of Service packs and addins, In a way windows 7 was the continuation of XP, I've never had any program that ran well on XP refuse to run on Windows 7. Remember also, in 2006, summer even, Microsoft was greared to start releasing XP 64-bit onto new machines. Then something happened - The original CORE DUO, Remember? No ia64 support. So Vista was made to accommodate that processor. The original versions of Vista were all 32 bit for these cores. Then when ia64 support was added to the new core duos, Vista 64 bit was released.

I remember seeing in stores, most of the Windows XP 32 bit OS's had been removed from the shelves and replaced with 64 bit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Back