Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability

No need to 'defend these decisions', you like it or don't, maybe somewhere in between.

It's your choice to run it or not, there are alternatives.

Right now I am in between, and am hanging in to see where it all leads. I picked up the OS upgrade for only 40 bucks so if I decide to go backwords eventually, I am not out that much. The addition of the start menu and the app store make the os more interesting, I will say that. My work laptops still run 7, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I wish desktop users like myself, who still comprise a massive chunk of windows users over all, did not have to feel like 2nd class citizens with the release of this OS. For instance, I would love to see some apps in the app store that are designed with desktop users in mind, rather than the touch first stuff. Hey, maybe they can even state, 'desktop only', or create a brand new category in the app store. Small things like this can go a long way to helping us desktop users feel a little less left out.. How hard can it be to make the os and the app store slightly more chameleon like, with all the same underlying code, so that desktop users still feel like we are using an os that is designed with us in mind, instead of feeling like we are just after thoughts..

I do tend to post thoughts like these every few weeks or so, and I continue to use windows 8. I believe that there are a lot of Microsoft employees within the boards, and that they comprise a fair margin of those who are out there in these boards defending the OS. Many of my posts have been aimed at them. There have been some rock solid suggestions made by yours truly on how to make this os into a winner..

When I have time, I intend to reload my downstairs machine and hopefully resolve the sharing issue...

You gave me an idea to do a search in the Store app on "desktop". I was surprised at the search results. You may want to try that. For me, most were crap, but there were some good ones.

I'm one to think that all software will eventually be written in the touch interface. Eventually there will be no more desktop portal as we know it in 8 or past OSs. It may take years. MS is heading in a much different direction as in the past. All a part of "Reimagined".

I agree, that years from now, most interfaces will probably be touch based. We are not there yet however. Not even close... Hence my comments...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Ya know, I didn't even read this whole thread but I figured I'd put in two cents anyway.

Personally, there was a small learning curve for me to get used to Windows 8.. The wonders of the internet allows many people to find the information they need when they can't figure it out themselves. Through this process, the most difficult thing I found with Windows 8 was finding the power button in the OS.. (Seriously though, why not just add a "Power" charm on the right?!

But yea, For me the transition has been pretty seamless.. And quite frankly I notice the performance difference on my machine between 7 and 8. It seems to be just that little bit more efficient with 8 vs. 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional 64b
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2700K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP
    Memory
    8GB Patriot G2 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Cyclone R6850
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    32in Samsung HDTV (LCD)
    Screen Resolution
    1360x768
    Hard Drives
    2x OCZ Vertex 3 (RAID 0)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB (RAID 5)
    PSU
    Corsair TX 750 W
    Case
    Corsair 600T (Graphite)
    Cooling
    Hyper 212 (Push-Pull), 2x200MM fans (w/ case) Rear 120mm
I find 8 to be every bit as useable as 7.

I've installed Classic Shell, but have kept Metro enabled, so I have the best of both worlds.

And it doesn't come close to being unusable with a mouse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
It is quite useable with a mouse and I was surprised at how effective it actually is with a mouse, considering that it's primarily designed for touch.

But it's the menu system in the Modern interface that makes it less effective than the the traditional Windows desktop interface. I guess I just prefer cascading menus, the taskbar menu and the odd shortcut on the desktop.

Also, if the Modern interface allowed apps to open in reduced size on a screen, so that you could open multiple apps if you want, that would improve things quite a lot, I think.

I've never used one of the latest Apple devices, but one thing everyone says is that it requires almost no training to understand and use the device (a two year old can use an iPad). If this is true, then the Modern interface is almost diametrically opposite to the Apple interface.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
It is quite useable with a mouse and I was surprised at how effective it actually is with a mouse, considering that it's primarily designed for touch.

But it's the menu system in the Modern interface that makes it less effective than the the traditional Windows desktop interface. I guess I just prefer cascading menus, the taskbar menu and the odd shortcut on the desktop.

Also, if the Modern interface allowed apps to open in reduced size on a screen, so that you could open multiple apps if you want, that would improve things quite a lot, I think.

I've never used one of the latest Apple devices, but one thing everyone says is that it requires almost no training to understand and use the device (a two year old can use an iPad). If this is true, then the Modern interface is almost diametrically opposite to the Apple interface.

I agree that there should be some sort of variance between the touch and desktop editions of this UI, though built off the same foundation. That being said I have gotten used to how I can switch between apps.

Just to mention about Apples interface.. the reason why it takes almost no training to understand is because it looks the same as it did when the iPhone was released in 2007. It hasn't changed in almost 6 years! No major changes anyway...

I taught my 80 yr old grandfather how to use his iPad to check his email, and that took me a solid 3 hours! It took me just as long to teach a stubborn man in his mid-50's how to use the new Windows 8 UI after being used to XP his whole life.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective. Everyone knows how to use an Apple UI because it's saturated in the market. There's almost as many people now that know inherently how to navigate the Android UI as well.

Bottom line for me is: Stuff's gonna change, so people should learn how to teach themselves. The secret to all us "techy people" isn't that we necessarily KNOW a lot of things, we just know WHERE to find the information and how to follow instructions!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional 64b
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2700K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP
    Memory
    8GB Patriot G2 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Cyclone R6850
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    32in Samsung HDTV (LCD)
    Screen Resolution
    1360x768
    Hard Drives
    2x OCZ Vertex 3 (RAID 0)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB (RAID 5)
    PSU
    Corsair TX 750 W
    Case
    Corsair 600T (Graphite)
    Cooling
    Hyper 212 (Push-Pull), 2x200MM fans (w/ case) Rear 120mm

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Nice find, with more added options, this will be useful.
Hope to see more apps along this line.
We'll probably see something like this in Win Blue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
Don't you understand he said Windows 8 with classic shell? That windows 8 with windows XP interface which is everything not to like about Windows 8 except the underlying OS!

If the only problem with W8 is the interface, the OS is good, then "Classic Shell" solves the problem. I just hope it is not buggy and does not slow things down. XP is still my favorite interface, though I have been using W7 for a wile.

BBDS.

I just bought W8 laptop. While at the store I hated W8, it looked like a total mess. I was planning on installing the Classic Shell and completely bypassing the Metro. But to my surprise I do not hate it anymore and did not even install the Start menu. For basic computing, web, pictures it works just fine. Desktop is almost identical to W7 and I added all the missing icons like My Computer and others. I created Google Chrome tile and it shoots me directly to Google bypassing the desktop. I agree that W8 may not be ready for Enterprise, but for basic home computing it is just fine.

BBDS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    XP

That is a great find, Bill. Thanks! :thumbup:

Nice find, with more added options, this will be useful.
Hope to see more apps along this line.
We'll probably see something like this in Win Blue.

I agree, Dave. I think that is exactly what we'll see in Windows Blue -> "Multipaning", not Windows in the traditional sense as we know it. Obviously this will be more fit for enterprise. I've posted a lot on how 8 was/is not targeted for enterprise, but for the general population because of the limited app snapping of only two. It is the "transitional" OS.

This may fulfill the rumors that it will be sold as a SP or an "addon" to 8 instead of installing a new OS. It makes sense to me in that the new kernel has been written, so why waist time and money in writing a new one each time. Simply add on options that one needs or desires. It may be limited as an addon to the Enterprise Edition, though.

Now....to go install this app.....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Windows 8 is certainly usable, but so is windows 7. They are different modes of usability.

Considering security support for windows 7 will last many many years into the future, most people won't feel the need to change unless they're forced to.

By the time I upgrade to windows 9/10 it will be a whole new (hopefully polished?) UI paradigm.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
Windows 8 wrestles with PC's legacy

I'm by no means the first one to say this but Windows 8 and older PCs make an odd couple.
But let me back up for a second. Before the release of Windows 8 on October 26, I tested Windows 8 on tablets only, such as the Intel-based Samsung slate that Microsoft sold in its stores. And I was impressed with Metro.
That was then. Windows 8 Pro 64-bit is now installed on my Dell Adamo laptop. And I rarely venture into the Metro UI unless if I'm forced to.

Windows 8 wrestles with PC's legacy | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
U will get to know it and u will love later

Roze 

Welcome to EightForums, Johnsonroze 13. It's good to have you aboard. :)

Not quite sure as how to take your post. I'll assume it's on a positive note? :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Windows 8 wrestles with PC's legacy

I'm by no means the first one to say this but Windows 8 and older PCs make an odd couple.
But let me back up for a second. Before the release of Windows 8 on October 26, I tested Windows 8 on tablets only, such as the Intel-based Samsung slate that Microsoft sold in its stores. And I was impressed with Metro.
That was then. Windows 8 Pro 64-bit is now installed on my Dell Adamo laptop. And I rarely venture into the Metro UI unless if I'm forced to.

Windows 8 wrestles with PC's legacy | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews

This author is fairly reasonable in his evaluation, although I don't agree with him totally. It may be an "odd couple" on a desktop PC, for it's a "transitional" OS to a way of navigation that's much better IMO. I think it works just fine on a desktop PC with mouse and keyboard. The learning curve is a bit more compared to other OSs, but I don't think it's as "steep" as some make it out to be.

I'm surely not understanding a lot of the negative press MS is getting over 8. A lot is just plain bogus, especially the Nielsen Norman Group article. Truly an unscientific approach to test the navigational qualities and usability of an OS. Cold-showing without some instructions first is completely ludicrous to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I installed RP on my netbook, dual booted with Windows 7 and I really loved the changing colors of the taskbar provided by downloadable themes and panoramic wallpapers. I used Classic Shell as a Start Menu Replacement but I don't think its as good as the real Start Menu. I enjoy the smoother performance of W8 RP and have used it more often than Windows 7 on my netbook at that time when I was slacking off, barely doing important work on my netbook at that time when my desktop is broke....

But I am unimpressed with the POINTLESS Metro thing on my netbook that cannot open them which is stupid because M$ wants you to buy a Surface tablet rather than use a cheap netbook so they made netbooks with 1024x600 resolution incapable of running Metro apps on its own so that kinda blows the very fact that M$ created an OS for all platforms. I even used a Registry hack to increase the resolution which allowed me to launch a Metro app that crashes on my netbook even before it opens everytime. I tried opening other apps, it still crashes, hooked my netbook to my desktop monitor and still, no avail. I barely use my netbook at home now and when I do use it, I do some more serious work that I have to use Windows 7 and I see that there is no significant reasons for corporations to move to Windows 8 at this point as it does not have a significant pros and cons margin over Windows 7... And the IE 10 there had so many significant bugs that made me switch to Chrome..

And at least, on Windows 7, no further steps to do to have and launch Windows Media Center which is where I watch live cable TV at night.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
It's a pointless interface for toy computers. Even Office 2013 doesn't embrace Metro. It's dead in the water. The only queues at the Windows store are for returns and refunds!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
It's a pointless interface for toy computers. Even Office 2013 doesn't embrace Metro. It's dead in the water. The only question at the Windows store are for returns and refunds!

Office 2013 is way too much coding for a Metro Apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Over the Chirstmas manic buying period every major shopping complex I visited had massive Apple i whatever displays, and were jam packed. Not so W8 products. In fact hard to even find them when you're looking for them.

For whatever reason, Apple is the in thing. All M$ can hope for is a change in fashion tastes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Back