Solved windows 8 bsod ntoskrnl.exe+7a040

If a system restore to a working period resolves the behavior, that would be a good start. After that, apply updates one at a time and try to reproduce the issue if possible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
okay so i had 67 updates. This will take me weeks if i am lucky. Is there no other alternative?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64 with WMC
I am happy to report that removing said updates in the link I just posted above, seems to be working for the last hour or so. No BSOD yet. And I am typing this from firefoz.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Interesting - that would mean you could have an app or driver installed using an older code path "fixed" with the new security update in win32k.sys causing the crash.

It would be interesting if you could install the update manually to get the LDR bits instead of the GDR bits if the problem persists thereafter:

1. Download the 2778344 package manually (x86 or x64) to a temporary directory (I use C:\temp\2778344 for this example).
  2. Create 2 additional folders inside the temporary location, called cab and msu:
    View attachment 17406
  3. Open an elevated command prompt
  4. Run the following commands to extract the update package and install the update in LDR mode:

Reboot for the update to take effect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
Thank you for that detailed guide. Before I try that, however, I found this A microcode update is available for Windows 8-based computers that use AMD processors
update, which was released just a few days ago. I keep getting the blue screen with System Service Exception in - Microsoft Community
On this thread the individual has reported that this update might be what we are waiting for.

I have applied that update, and then re-installed the KB2778344 update without an issue (there was no issue installing the update in the first place, just the fact that it crashed the system often). So far I have not experienced a crash in the last couple of hours. But who knows? I will keep reporting back.

Also apparently there needs to be another AMD driver update, or that's what the thread mentions at least.

Interesting - that would mean you could have an app or driver installed using an older code path "fixed" with the new security update in win32k.sys causing the crash.

It would be interesting if you could install the update manually to get the LDR bits instead of the GDR bits if the problem persists thereafter:

1. Download the 2778344 package manually (x86 or x64) to a temporary directory (I use C:\temp\2778344 for this example).
  2. Create 2 additional folders inside the temporary location, called cab and msu:
    View attachment 17406
  3. Open an elevated command prompt
  4. Run the following commands to extract the update package and install the update in LDR mode:

Reboot for the update to take effect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
There has not been a BSOD in the last day and a half. I think the updates fixed it. After applying the new microcode update for AMD processors, I was able to install the other updates which I had previously uninstalled and hidden.
Everything seems to be working now.
Thank you for your help.

I am just going to go ahead and mark this as solved. If problems creep up later, then I will come back here. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
Good to hear :).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop