Windows 8 app store is the Achille's heal or cruel joke

done ranting? what a worthless thread. you didn't even ask any relevant question. just some rhetorical nonsense.

@ the OP

If I may ask. How long have you used 8? Do you own a business or have a business degree?

Well, I beta tested 8 for a year, as I stated earlier, I have had my tablet for 4+ months, and I have owned 3 businesses, semi-retired now. Oh, I forgot I bought my mother a windows 8 laptop.

What amazes me, is how some of these people consider improving the App Store as a bad thing. Why wouldn't you want it improved? If they worked for me with these types of attitudes, I would fire them.

It's not my fault, they designed it the way they did. But, then again, some people refuse to believe the obvious.

So what type of credentials do the nay-sayers have? Doesn't matter any way, it won't make them any smarter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Then don't use the Windows Store. If you have no need for it, don't use it. It's like if someone complained about the Desktop Gadgets in 7 even though they had no need for them, never used them or didn't care for them. Uninstall the apps if you want, they're real easy to. Windows 8 isn't an only WinRT app based OS, that's Windows 8 RT for ARM processors.

I never had any trouble with Gadgets, but the Gadgets opened the floodgates for these Windows 8 Spam-apps. I only used Gadtets that scanned clean, before and after I extracted them, because the virus developers make the package look legit, but when it extracts/// Thank God for ESET NOD32 and Malwarebytes, which stopped all kinds of Gadget-induced infections for me before I used them. If I had- Boom, Instant TDSS Rootkits.

The same Virus makers are working hard to infect App store Apps in such a way as to infect your system. They need a way to get the Metro app to move stuff into the desktop, then it'll be very difficult to stop. Ive notived with Metro apps, they are requiring permission to do all kinds of odd things, it's just a matter of time before these permissions are exploited.

I'm not saying ALL of the apps I have found in the app store are worthless garbage, just 90 percent of them so far. The ones I have found to be less than useful or suspicious, I have deleted, marked and I posted a review with a warning on it.

But it is really unfair to diss the App Store? NO! It's not, and you cant really say it's ":Too Soon" to tell, because from the moment iPhones came out, there were useful apps aplenty. I still use some of the original apps I bought, from my first original 8gb iPhone, and I use the original versions. By comparison, the Windows 8 App store is filled top to bottom with nothign but JUNK. It took four YEARS for the Apple App Store to be filled with this same garbage.

I've got Teamvier, PowerDVD, and Remote-PC which work great on Metro, problem is, it took me about 5 days to find them, they were buried under tons of Chinese Spam Junk which were LABELLED as Teamviewer, VLC, and PowerDVD, but were not MADE by those companies. Especially VLC, since it is open source, there are a LOT of Metro VLC Fakes out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
done ranting? what a worthless thread. you didn't even ask any relevant question. just some rhetorical nonsense.

Forgive me for not being more precise, I felt the question was in the title.

I will start another thread entitled "Will they or can they improve the App Store?"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 - Linux (Ubuntu & Zorin) - XP
    iBuyPower
    CPU
    i5-2320 3.00GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock H61M-VVGS
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon 6770
They can definitely Improve it... Make it easier to search, maybe connect the Store to Windows Media Player like Apple did with iTunes. It's easy to find iOS apps in itunes, even with all the gunk and junk and "angry bird poo" - Microsoft never really has had a good search engine, Bing - Ive never been impressed. They need to weigh the good apps better, make them come up in a search first. Put all the poo apps last. When I start seeing stuff like Navigon and Tom-Tom FIRST, I'll know they are getting the idea.

But there IS no "Navigon" or "Tom Tom" in the app store, there is Inrix though. You'd think MS would get these apps first before allowing all kinds of crud into the floodwaters.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
8 is selling badly. It is not because of the apps.

Things like that are a bonus.

People who are avoiding 8 probably do not know what state the app store is in , or what apps are available.

MS needs to get the point product right.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Sorry but I don't know why some are attacking the OP for what is blatantly obvious... the apps store is lacking at best. Period. And one doesn't need a business degree or have to have used Window 8 since the day it was thought of to see that.

And yes, I'm using Windows 8, yes, I've purchased apps from the app store, both free and paid. And yes, the apps store is woefully lacking, and ridiculously unorganized.

And, yes, we can argue all we want about how Microsoft is coming to the game late, but even then, they could (should) have had a better apps solution/approach, especially given their resources.

That said, if Microsoft wants to compete with Google (aka Android) and Apple, they'd better get it together quick. As a potential tablet buyer, apps availability leads me towards Android.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
I don't see anyone attacking the OP. what's being attacked is what's the point of this thread other than a guy ranting for his 5 minutes of fame over some worthless thread that doesn't bring anything to the table that hasn't been said a million times more succinctly by other people.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
So it's now not it's not acceptable to say something is not good, e.g Windows 8, when it's been said a number of times before? That's pure BS.

I like Windows 8 but use it strictly in Windows 7 emulation mode. I have not looked at or tried any apps as they have no interest to me. I have an intense dislike of the Metro/Modern interface, but I do respect those who like it or have become accustomed to it.

Repetition adds weight to ideas or feelings. If one or two say something is not good, that's ho hum. If 50 or a 1000 say it then it has added weight and becomes interesting. If 10,000 or 100,000 say the same thing then perhaps there is something to what they are saying. Gee, maybe even Microsoft would start to pay attention (doubtful, but one can hope).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
nothing wrong with saying something is bad if you back it up. but the minute you go to extremes to make your point, your argument goes out the window.

the question I have for this thread is what is the point of this thread? if you already believe that the store is terrible and unsalvageable, then all you're doing is making a lame rhetorical argument and hoping some people read it. i'm asking this in earnest. what are you hoping to achieve with this thread that hasn't been mentioned in the other threads? because doing something without purpose is meaningless.

repetition for repetition's sake? do you guys really believe that? what drowns out any message is repeating the same message with little foundation that doesn't resonate with anyone. you think the same 10 guys on this board saying the same thing over and over makes a difference in the grand scheme of things? 10 guys versus the millions out there?

you don't like something, you don't use it. you like something, you use it.

most of these great threads on this board is to solve a problem or share something useful that people can use to make their computing experience easier or more fun. do multiple copies of the same thread over and over again have anything to do with solving any problem or sharing something useful?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
You might like to think it is a tiny number and doesn't resonate with anyone.

Seems to me it is a very significant number and resonates with many.

This is Forum.

It is not an appreciation society.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
You might like to think it is a tiny number and doesn't resonate with anyone.

Seems to me it is a very significant number and resonates with many.

This is Forum.

It is not an appreciation society

Exactly. +1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
To the OP. Firstly I apologize for not welcoming you back to Eight Forums as I usually do.

Welcome back to Eight Forums. :)

Secondly I asked the question for I don't know you. I was trying to get some background. In checking your profile you're anonymous, which is ok, but it doesn't give me any info. You also don't have 8 listed as an OS, which is why I asked about using 8.

I have to agree with what dirtyvu just posted and others have mentioned it also. Your thread question has a double negative connotation, so therefore there can only be a negative answer. I feel it attracts negativity. Then you go on a rant to negatively criticize 8 in other aspects with nothing but your opinion, which is ok, but not with both barrels blasting multiple times as you did. I have to say that it's trolling, but hey, I'm not the judge or sheriff around here.

Again, welcome back. I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I have to agree with what dirtyvu just posted and others have mentioned it also. Your thread question has a double negative connotation, so therefore there can only be a negative answer. I feel it attracts negativity. Then you go on a rant to negatively criticize 8 in other aspects with nothing but your opinion, which is ok, but not with both barrels blasting multiple times as you did. I have to say that it's trolling, but hey, I'm not the judge or sheriff around here.

Wow, maybe the rules have relaxed a bit here. I was under the impression people had a right to express their opinions without being called names. Especially if the opinions were fairly accurate.

And it's not like the OP has never used the OS...

I have 6 computers, I happen to be using my Windows 8 tablet at the moment (for this forum)...

I have had this tablet about 4 months and it came with Windows 8 which was upgraded to Pro. I even have a copy of Windows 8 Consumer Preview still load in a dual boot machine.

Wow. Welcome to eightforums!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
To the OP. Firstly I apologize for not welcoming you back to Eight Forums as I usually do.

Welcome back to Eight Forums. :)

Secondly I asked the question for I don't know you. I was trying to get some background. In checking your profile you're anonymous, which is ok, but it doesn't give me any info. You also don't have 8 listed as an OS, which is why I asked about using 8.

Again, welcome back. I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay. :)

Gee, how positively pleasant and civil of you, Darling, especially the name calling part. Really, I would have thought someone with your dizzying intellect could come up with something a bit more original.

Is either yours, or dirtyvu, or others approval necessary on what I choose to comment on and how? The problem I have with people like you, is you seem to take criticism personal and resort to name calling to emphasize your self imposed superiority. We get it! That you are great supporters of this OS, what you fail to recognize, is I am a supporter of it also, why else would i be so upset with it. But that doesn't change the fact it needs improving, and I will continue to rant about it's short comings.

Perhaps you need to re-read my post(s), maybe you need to learn to respect others opinions, I don't know about you, but I hope MS changes their game plan, because I am tired of trying to defend them, I re-ask my original question....

If Microsoft is not making an effort to improve things, then why should we support it ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    iBuyPower
    CPU
    i5-2320 3.00GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock H61M-VVGS
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon 6770
Does this forum really need another thread about how bad posters think win8 is ,especially one that according to there computer specs ,isn't even using win8 ,having said that i to find the app store hard to find things i might like ,so i stopped looking !
I totally agree with Spyderbite

Hi there
PLEASE PEOPLE read the O/P's question and then answer.

The question is about the APP STORE -- not about Windows 8 -- there isn't any specific reason as to why the app store should only be restricted to Windows 8 -- Ms might use it for XBOX, Windows 8 phone or even previous versions of Windows.

I've posted my thoughts on the app store earlier in the thread -- and my remarks are for Windows apps rather than mobile phone / tablet ones.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
It is how one interprets the OP. Seems to be a contention in itself, in this thread!
Quote: " Windows 8, doesn't even come with the media center. To me it's almost like a cruel joke. They reduce or bury functionality, strip away standard components, and then make it more difficult to use.
They then wonder why it hasn't been successful. I am almost shocked that it is even selling. When I think about it, there isn't a whole lot about it to like. Surface tablets aren't even 3G or 4G, so why should we embrace this? "

I see this as a direct criticism of the OS, although the Store is the bulk of the text??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
Hi there
@DaveHC

I know this post is OT but I had to answer the Windows Media center point.

Actually Media center is an increasing irrelevance -- you don't often need things like TV tuners in a PC any more - with decent Internet connections there's enough TV streaming content out on the internet and plenty of FREE multi-media players like VLC which can handle almost every known VIDEO and AUDIO codec known to man (and my dog !!).

For example using a UK proxy it's easy to get an application that shows loads of FREE channels such as : screenshot enc. Quality of stream is fine too even on a large screen. All you need is a decent internet connection.

There's loads more free TV streams all over the place.

Who needs WMC.

As for reduced functionality -- I prefer a lean mean OS and then add on such bits as I need -- that's what a lot of Linux users tend to do -- some of the Linux distros also are filled with a load of Bloatware too which makes them perhaps "even more Windows than Windows".

All I need the OS to do is to provide the GUI, a command line interface, security, and a file system. Anything else I can install afterwards - even the browser. In fact even the GUI in an ideal situation should be user installable - like GNOME or KDE in Linux --users choice of GUI. However Windows comes from a different background so that part of the OS is likely to stay fixed.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• freetv.png
    freetv.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 171

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Maybe MS have been kind up to now. With built in items such as Wordpad, Paint and even the defragger.
Perhaps even those items will vanish over time and we will have - - an OS, as Jimbo suggests. I am sure that, like myself, most users on these pages have always loaded there own software which, in their opinion, performs better than the built in items.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
jimbo said:
Hi there@DaveHC

I know this post is OT but I had to answer the Windows Media center point.

Actually Media center is an increasing irrelevance -- you don't often need things like TV tuners in a PC any more - with decent Internet connections there's enough TV streaming content out on the internet and plenty of FREE multi-media players like VLC which can handle almost every known VIDEO and AUDIO codec known to man (and my dog !!).

For example using a UK proxy it's easy to get an application that shows loads of FREE channels such as : screenshot enc. Quality of stream is fine too even on a large screen. All you need is a decent internet connection.

There's loads more free TV streams all over the place.

Who needs WMC.

Cheers
jimbo

Maybe MS have been kind up to now. With built in items such as Wordpad, Paint and even the defragger.
Perhaps even those items will vanish over time and we will have - - an OS, as Jimbo suggests. I am sure that, like myself, most users on these pages have always loaded there own software which, in their opinion, performs better than the built in items.

Exactly why I said it's "like a cruel joke", why offer it free in previous versions, then strip from the next.
"Oh, only last years model came with tires"

As for WMC, hop on over to My Movies - Home and see if they think it irrelevant, then to charge $60.00 plus to upgrade to Pro for the Media Center. It's as though they're penalizing you for spending time and money developing your system around it. I argued with "My Movies" about their strategy of developing their whole product around something I think will be dropped. I argued with Netfix over their embracing Silverlight, and sure as hell Microsoft dropped it, and no longer develops it.

Lean and mean is great. But they should offer the modules you want to use.

The only thing, I have come to trust with Microsoft, is not to trust in them. Loyalty means nothing to them, isn't that refreshing.
Perhaps it is time to dump them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    iBuyPower
    CPU
    i5-2320 3.00GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock H61M-VVGS
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon 6770
Hi there
Loyalty to any typical business is a big mistake. Do you for one minute think that a Bank you might have had an account with for YEARS and YEARS gives you a better deal than someone who has just walked into the branch five minutes ago -- no way -- same with Phone contracts etc.

Design your system on what YOU want to use rather than dubious products that probably a 5 year old could see weren't viable in the long term.

I'm happy to use Ms products --but I use on MY terms -- such as keeping an old version of Office 2010 rather than being suckered into their Office 365 subscription model.

There's plenty of alternatives out there --but you also run the risk when using open source software that after a while a product you've designed your system around is no longer supported by the developer -- not because the product is bad but simply the developer just gets fed up or wants to move on and do something else.

The only time loyalty pays off is if you are a regular customer to a small family run type business --say a Restaurant or Family run Pub.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives