Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

ISO_file.png
How to Create or Download a Windows 8 and 8.1 ISO

If you purchased Windows 8/8.1 and have a "retail" Windows 8/8.1 product key, then this tutorial will show you how to create or download an upgrade Windows 8 ISO or full Windows 8.1 Update ISO file directly from Microsoft.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

You will need to have your Windows 8 or 8.1 product key number from your retail box package OR online order information in the confirmation email for your purchase.

For example, if you purchased Windows 8 or 8.1 online using the "Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant".

A Windows 8 product key will not directly activate Windows 8.1 Update. To be able to clean install Windows 8.1 Update and activate it with a Windows 8 product key, see:Clean Install - Windows 8

CONTENTS:
  • Option One: (recommended) Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation Tool"
  • Option Two: Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with Retail Windows 8 or 8.1 Key
  • Option Three: Download Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with a Retail Key
  • Option Four: To Create a Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO File from "C:\ESD\Windows" Folder

OPTION ONE

Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation Tool"

This option allows you to download the latest Windows 8.1 ISO file without needing a product key.

If you have a retail Windows 8 or 8.1 PC, then you will still need to have a valid Windows 8 or 8.1 product key to be able to install and activate Windows 8.1.

If you have an OEM Windows 8 or 8.1 PC, then you will also be able to use this ISO to install and activate Windows 8.1 if you are installing the same edition of Windows the key is for. The Windows 8 or 8.1 product key embedded in the UEFI firmware of the OEM PC will be automatically detected and used during installation to activate Windows 8.1.

When you run the mediacreationtool.exe file below it will permanently delete any folder named Download and it's contents that's in the same folder as the mediacreationtool.exe file.

If you have a folder named Download in the same folder (ex: on desktop), then you will need to rename it before running the mediacreationtool.exe file to avoid it and it's contents from being permanently deleted.

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download and run the mediacreationtool.exe file for the Windows Installation Media Creation Tool.

Source: Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

download

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Select the Language, Edition, and 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) Architecture you want for the ISO file, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-1.jpg

4. Select (dot) ISO file, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-2.jpg

5. Select where you would like to save the ISO file to, type in a name you want for the ISO file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-3.jpg

6. The Windows 8.1 ISO file will now begin to download. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-4.jpg

7. When the download has finished, you can click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-5.jpg

You could now create a bootable DVD/USB or UEFI USB with this ISO file when you like to do a clean or upgrade install of Windows 8.1 with.

OPTION TWO

Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with Retail Windows 8 or 8.1 Key

This option will not work with an OEM product key number.

This option will only work with a retail product key number.

1. Click/tap on the Microsoft site link below for your location, only click/tap on the Install Windows 8.1 button at the site like below to only download the Windows8-Setup.exe file, and save it to your desktop.

US: Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

UK: Upgrading Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

Install_Windows_8.png

2. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the WindowsSetupBox.zip file for Windows 8.1 Update. Open the ZIP file, and extract (drag and drop) the WindowsSetupBox.exe file to your desktop.

This is the official older 6.3.9600.16415 version of the WindowsSetupBox.exe file that is no longer available for download at Microsoft.

download

3. Run the Windows8-Setup.exe file (step 1), enter your RETAIL Windows 8 product key, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

This will not work if you use an OEM or system builders product key.

If you enter a generic key, then you will get a We can't connect right now message since they have been blocked.

If you still have the hidden folders below on your computer from the Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant, then you will see step 7 in OPTION THREE below instead.

You can delete these two hidden folders below to be able to enter your product key and download a new ISO file.

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup

AND

C:\ESD\Windows

To get a 32-bit Windows 8.1 Update ISO, you must run the .exe on a 32-bit Windows computer.

To get a 64-bit Windows 8.1 Update ISO, you must run the .exe on a 64-bit Windows computer.

Download-1.jpg

4. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Download-2.jpg

5. Once downloading starts and still at 0%, CLOSE Close.jpg the Windows 8 Setup window. (see screenshot below)

Stop.jpg

6. Quickly click/tap on Yes to approve closing "Windows 8 Setup". (see screenshot below)

Quit.jpg

7. Run the WindowsSetupBox.exe file (step 2) for Windows 8.1 Update.

8. Windows 8.1 Setup should now start downloading Windows 8.1 Update. Go to step 6 in OPTION THREE below to continue for the Windows 8.1 Update ISO file. (see screenshot below)

If it fails to start downloading Windows 8.1 or you get an error, then delete the two hidden folders below, and start over at step 3 above.

AND

8.1_Download.jpg

OPTION THREE

Download Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with a Retail Key

This option is for how to only download a Windows 8 ISO file using a Windows 8 product key, or to download a Windows 8.1 Update ISO file using a Windows 8.1 product key.

This option will not work with an OEM product key number.

This option will only work with a retail product key number.

1. Click/tap on the Microsoft site link below for your location, click/tap on the Install Windows 8 or Install Windows 8.1 button at the site to download and run the Windows8-Setup.exe (Windows 8) or OSGS14-WindowsSetupBox-32bitand64bit-English-4141408.exe (Windows 8.1 Update) file.

US: Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

UK: Upgrading Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

To get a 32-bit Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO, you must run the .exe on a 32-bit Windows computer.

To get a 64-bit Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO, you must run the .exe on a 64-bit Windows computer.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes (Windows 7/8) or Continue (Vista).

3. Type in either your RETAIL Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product key for the one you want to get an ISO for, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

This will not work if you use an OEM or system builders product key

If you enter a generic key, then you will get a We can't connect right now message since they have been blocked.

If you still have the hidden folders below on your computer from the Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant, then you will see step 7 instead.

You can delete the two folders below to be able to enter your product key and download a new ISO file.

AND

You will only be able to enter a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product key.

A Windows 8 product key will only get you a Windows 8 ISO file.

A Windows 8.1 product key will only get you a Windows 8.1 Update ISO file.

You will not be able to enter a Window Media Center Pack or Windows 8 Pro Pack product key. These are considered to be an upgrade key and can't be used to install Windows 8/8.1 with. You could use Add Features to add the Window Media Center Pack or Windows 8 Pro Pack again after Windows 8/8.1 is finished installing.

Download-1.jpg

4. You will now see that Windows 8 or 8.1 will be downloaded. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Download-2.jpg

5. Windows 8 or 8.1 will now begin to download. (see screenshot below)

Download-3.jpg

6. When it's finished downloading, it will check and verify the download, then start to getting files ready. (see screenshots below)

The Window 8 or 8.1 installation files will be saved in the hidden C:\ESD\Windows folder.

Download-4.jpg

Download-5.jpg

7. Select (dot) Install by creating media, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Download-6.jpg

8. Select (dot) ISO file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

Download-7.jpg

9. Navigate to a location where (ex: Desktop) you want to save the .iso file at, type in a name for the .iso file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

Download-8.jpg

10. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

Download-9.jpg

11. You will now have your upgrade Windows 8 ISO or full Windows 8.1 Update ISO file.

You could now create a bootable DVD/USB or UEFI USB with this ISO file to do a clean (8.1), clean for upgrade (8), or upgrade (8/8.1) install of Windows 8 with.

OPTION FOUR

To Create a Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO File from "C:\ESD\Windows" Folder

You will only be able to do this option if you still have the hidden "C:\ESD\Windows" folder from previously using OPTION TWO or OPTION THREE above, or from the Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant on this PC.

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the ESD-TO-ISO.zip file created by our member SIW2 (Simon).

If you use the ESD-TO-ISO.exe to create a 64-bit ISO, then it will also have UEFI support.

download

2. Save the ZIP file to your desktop, then extract (drag and drop) the contents to your desktop.

3. Unblock the ESD-TO-ISO.EXE, then right click on the ESD-TO-ISO.EXE file, and click on Run as administrator.

4. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes (Windows 7/8) or Continue (Vista).

5. Click/tap on GO. (see screenshot below)

ESD-1.jpg

6. Click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

ESD-2.jpg

7. It will now create the ISO file. (see screenshot below)

If you get an error saying the ISO file cannot be created, then delete the C:\ESD folder, and do OPTION TWO above instead.

ESD-3.jpg

8. Click/tap on Cancel unless you wanted to create (burn) a bootable DVD with ISO file. (see screenshot below)

Burning a DVD with a 64-bit ISO created using this option will also have UEFI support.

ESD-4.jpg

9. The upgrade Windows 8 ISO or full Windows 8.1 Update ISO file will be at the root of your C: drive. For example, C:\WIN8x64.iso. (see screenshot below)

You could now create a bootable DVD/USB or UEFI USB with this ISO file to do a clean (8.1), clean for upgrade (8), or upgrade (8/8.1) install of Windows 8/8.1 with.

ESD-5.jpg

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• ESD-TO-ISO.zip
    341.8 KB · Views: 33,765
  • WindowsSetupBox.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 45,870
Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm that it will delete any folder named "Download" when you run it.

I added a warning at the top of Option One to help make sure folks don't lose any Download folder by mistake.

Thank you bubblebobble for making us aware of this bug :)

Will take care not to retain any Download folders in the location.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    8GB Dual-Channel DDR3L @1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4400 Integrated; 2GB Dedicated NVIDIA GT 740M
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 840 EVO Internal SSD ;
    2TB WD MyPassport Ultra EHDD ;
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
    Microsoft Wired Xbox 360 Controller
How did you make the ISO UFEI and why ? I didn't see an option to make it UFEI during the d/l.

During the download I selected to make as ISO so I have it for the future.
I then used Rufus to make the bootable USB stick and that is where you choose UFEI of MBR.
UFEI and GPT is the newest format and since my Laptop supports it I went in that direction.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

Jim :cool:

I burned the ISO to a DVD, will I get a good clean install on a SSD with it ?

As far as I know you don't have to do anything special if you are installing with a DVD. You should get two Boot options for the optical drive in the list, one will have UEFI in front of it. If your PC does not support UEFI you'll only see the one option for the DVD drive with no mention of UEFI.
Some PC's will not let you install in UEFI mode if the USB thumb drive is formatted in NTFS. This new Media creation Tool formats the thumb drive in Fat 32 so that shouldn't be an issue.

The screen shot in step 4 will show you what I mean about the two boot options, http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2328-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
During the download I selected to make as ISO so I have it for the future.
I then used Rufus to make the bootable USB stick and that is where you choose UFEI of MBR.
UFEI and GPT is the newest format and since my Laptop supports it I went in that direction.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

Jim :cool:

I burned the ISO to a DVD, will I get a good clean install on a SSD with it ?

As far as I know you don't have to do anything special if you are installing with a DVD. You should get two Boot options for the optical drive in the list, one will have UEFI in front of it. If your PC does not support UEFI you'll only see the one option for the DVD drive with no mention of UEFI.
Some PC's will not let you install in UEFI mode if the USB thumb drive is formatted in NTFS. This new Media creation Tool formats the thumb drive in Fat 32 so that shouldn't be an issue.

The screen shot in step 4 will show you what I mean about the two boot options, http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2328-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html?

Just saw this reply. Thanks for the link. Will give it a whirl soon as I get a new SSD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Z710 #59400485
    CPU
    i7-4700MQ
    Motherboard
    LENOVO Durian 7A1
    Memory
    8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel® HD Graphics 4600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" FHD LED Glossy Wedge
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB 5400 RPM

WDC WD10JPCX-24UE4T0
    PSU
    4 Cell 41 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Air in, Air out.
    Keyboard
    Logitech usb
    Mouse
    M$ Arc
    Internet Speed
    60 down- 25 up
    Browser
    Firefox - newest
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    MBAM Pro, SAS Pro, Revo Pro.
Installing using UEFI boot mode or Legacy BIOS boot mode. -> link

Instructions updated.

1. How to create UEFI Boot Mode compatible Windows 8 64-bit USB flash drive, which is only bootable in UEFI Boot Mode.

Format your USB flash drive (see screenshot below). Note: You need to choose the FAT32 file system.

When formatting is complete.
- In Windows 8, right click on the Windows 8 64-bit ISO image file and choose either Mount or Open with > Windows Explorer.
- Copy all files to USB flash drive.

Note that UEFI boot mode do not use boot sectors on the USB flash drive and do not require active partition to be set.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.
I have an Acer R7 convertible with a 1TB HD and a 24GB SSD for fast boot. I have damaged my recovery partition, and want to do a clean install from USB using an ISO, but am not sure which one to use. My laptop was shipped with Windows 8 installed, and I have the BIOS stored product key. I have no issue installing 8 since I will update regardless. But which ISO download method should I use?
I also have the Windows 10 Technical Preview on another partition, but I want to restore my device to as near as factory as possible, filling the entire drive with 8.1, and then reinstall Windows 10 TP on a new partition after I get 8.1 where I want it. How would be the best course of action? Should I delete the W10TP partition first, resize the 8.1 I have currently, and then install the fresh install? I also have factory recovery partitions that are corrupted and not working. I'd like to reclaim that space as well. What to do, what to do... HMMM...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1/Windows 10 Technical Preview (Dual Boot)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer R7-571
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz
    Memory
    12 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" 10 point mulititouch panel
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    1TB HD
    24GB SSD
    Mouse
    Elan SmartPad
    Browser
    Chrome 64 bit, IE 11
    Antivirus
    Avast

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Hello Christexaport, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You could use OPTION ONE to download a Windows 8 ISO that's the same as you originally had installed on the PC.

Before doing the installation, I would recommend to have all of your drivers downloaded from Acer and saved to a USB flash drive or some other location that's not getting formatted when doing the clean install. This way you will have them ready to install after Windows has finished installing in case you can't get an internet connection until the network driver is installed.

I'd say it would be best to wipe the whole drive until it's unallocated, then do the usual clean install on it with UEFI like below.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html

Hope this helps, :)
Shawn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone

You could use OPTION ONE to download a Windows 8 ISO that's the same as you originally had installed on the PC

Option 1 says "Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation".
My system shipped with Windows 8, not 8.1, which I updated from the Windows Store. My BIOS detected key, which I have, is for the OEM shipped Windows 8.
1. Will this Windows Installation Media Creation tool download Win8, or just 8.1?
2. Will my Windows 8 product code detected in the BIOS activate the Windows 8.1 installation? I've seen information that makes me think it will not.
3. I prefer to just install Windows 8, but if 8.1 can be activated with my key embedded in the BIOS, I'm cool, but need to be sure.

I'm currently booting into W10TP because my 8.1 installation won't boot. I can't be sure, but don't think it was 8 Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1/Windows 10 Technical Preview (Dual Boot)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer R7-571
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz
    Memory
    12 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" 10 point mulititouch panel
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    1TB HD
    24GB SSD
    Mouse
    Elan SmartPad
    Browser
    Chrome 64 bit, IE 11
    Antivirus
    Avast

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
2. Will my Windows 8 product code detected in the BIOS activate the Windows 8.1 installation? I've seen information that makes me think it will not.

3. I prefer to just install Windows 8, but if 8.1 can be activated with my key embedded in the BIOS, I'm cool, but need to be sure.

2. From where have you got this info, any links?

3. Many of the members in the forum have tested this creation tool to install 8.1 Update in Win 8 OEM machine & activated automatically.

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    8GB Dual-Channel DDR3L @1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4400 Integrated; 2GB Dedicated NVIDIA GT 740M
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 840 EVO Internal SSD ;
    2TB WD MyPassport Ultra EHDD ;
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
    Microsoft Wired Xbox 360 Controller

You could use OPTION ONE to download a Windows 8 ISO that's the same as you originally had installed on the PC

Option 1 says "Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation".
My system shipped with Windows 8, not 8.1, which I updated from the Windows Store. My BIOS detected key, which I have, is for the OEM shipped Windows 8.
1. Will this Windows Installation Media Creation tool download Win8, or just 8.1?

I'm currently booting into W10TP because my 8.1 installation won't boot. I can't be sure, but don't think it was 8 Pro.

!. The Media Creation tool downloads Windows 8.1.
2. It will use an embedded OEM 8.0 code, and activate with it. Tested it myself on my laptop.
3. My laptop came with 8.0 Core. I installed 8.1 core via Media Creation tool. It automatically used the embedded 8.0 key and activated online automatically. I did not even have to know what my key was. I just had to know what version of windows was installed. If I had installed 8.1 Pro it would have rejected my 8.0 Core key. I do believe most OEM installs are Core. If I was going to guess I'd guess Core. If you install Core and get prompted for a key then its likely Pro or the Single language version of Core.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Hi,

For Windows 8.1 ISO's that you could D/L *prior* to the new "Windows Installation Media Creation Tool" method you had to use a generic key for the installation & then activate windows with a Windows 8 key.

Is this still true for installing Windows from ISO's created by the MS WIMCT or can you now use a Window 8 Retail key?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 PRO 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel BX80646I54670 Core i5-4670
    Motherboard
    ASUS H87M-PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance LP CML16GX3M2A1600C9 16GB (2x8GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster PX2370
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD + about 12 Seagate HDD's of various sizes (used for video archiving)
    PSU
    Silverstone Strider 550W Gold ST55F-G
    Case
    Silverstone GD05B (HTPC Style Case)
    Cooling
    Stock Intel
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender 2014 AV
    Other Info
    Lite-on IHES312 Blu-Ray
Hi,

For Windows 8.1 ISO's that you could D/L *prior* to the new "Windows Installation Media Creation Tool" method you had to use a generic key for the installation & then activate windows with a Windows 8 key.

Is this still true for installing Windows from ISO's created by the MS WIMCT or can you now use a Window 8 Retail key?

Hello BazzaG,

You can now use any retail or OEM Windows 8/8.1 key to activate with the ISO downloaded from the WIMCT. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
The New tool will read OEM embedded Keys and will accept windows 8 retail key.. Best thing since sliced bread..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Hello BazzaG,
You can now use any retail or OEM Windows 8/8.1 key to activate with the ISO downloaded from the WIMCT. :)
Thanks Brink & Kyhi. I purchased several retail copies of Windows 8.0 about 14 months ago, used 1 of 'em earlier this year, now using another.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 PRO 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS H87M-PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD + about 12 Seagate HDD's of various sizes (used for video archiving)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock Intel
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender 2014 AV
    Other Info
    Lite-on IHES312 Blu-Ray
Hello BazzaG,
Thanks Brink & Kyhi. I purchased several retail copies of Windows 8.0 about 14 months ago, used 1 of 'em earlier this year, now using another.

I can confirm this. I installed 8.1 on my laptop from the media creation tool and it used the OEM 8.0 key with no issues. I've also installed and activated with my 8.0 TechNet keys, which are listed as Retail. Now I have twice as many windows 8.1 TechNet/MSDN keys as I can use my 8.0 keys to install 8.1. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Thanks. I installed Win 8.1 from a WIMCT created ISO using the generic key but after installation I lost all the personalisation settings (screen colour, etc.) that I selected during the install. Couldn't change these until I activated windows; which it did without any issues. This is very different to the previous 8.1 ISO's from MS.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot testing on my new PC, so I'm about to do clean re-install & will use the real key this time.

Cheers
BazzaG...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 PRO 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS H87M-PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock Intel
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender 2014 AV
    Other Info
    Lite-on IHES312 Blu-Ray
There are some personalization and sync options locked out until "verify your identity on this PC". If you skip that step during the install some stuff gets locked out. Some other stuff gets locked out until you activate too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I'm not surprised that it's not just the personalisation features ... it's just that they were immediately obvious when the windows desktop opened after the install. As soon as I established a network; the default MS network drivers don't work for Intel network adapters, I activated windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 PRO 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS H87M-PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock Intel
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender 2014 AV
    Other Info
    Lite-on IHES312 Blu-Ray
Some stuff I can see locking out, like syncing your IE passwords for web sites though your live ID. Locking out the personalization settings for background images etc I don't get? It is what it is though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard