Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

ISO_file.png
How to Create or Download a Windows 8 and 8.1 ISO

If you purchased Windows 8/8.1 and have a "retail" Windows 8/8.1 product key, then this tutorial will show you how to create or download an upgrade Windows 8 ISO or full Windows 8.1 Update ISO file directly from Microsoft.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

You will need to have your Windows 8 or 8.1 product key number from your retail box package OR online order information in the confirmation email for your purchase.

For example, if you purchased Windows 8 or 8.1 online using the "Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant".

A Windows 8 product key will not directly activate Windows 8.1 Update. To be able to clean install Windows 8.1 Update and activate it with a Windows 8 product key, see:Clean Install - Windows 8

CONTENTS:
  • Option One: (recommended) Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation Tool"
  • Option Two: Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with Retail Windows 8 or 8.1 Key
  • Option Three: Download Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with a Retail Key
  • Option Four: To Create a Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO File from "C:\ESD\Windows" Folder

OPTION ONE

Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation Tool"

This option allows you to download the latest Windows 8.1 ISO file without needing a product key.

If you have a retail Windows 8 or 8.1 PC, then you will still need to have a valid Windows 8 or 8.1 product key to be able to install and activate Windows 8.1.

If you have an OEM Windows 8 or 8.1 PC, then you will also be able to use this ISO to install and activate Windows 8.1 if you are installing the same edition of Windows the key is for. The Windows 8 or 8.1 product key embedded in the UEFI firmware of the OEM PC will be automatically detected and used during installation to activate Windows 8.1.

When you run the mediacreationtool.exe file below it will permanently delete any folder named Download and it's contents that's in the same folder as the mediacreationtool.exe file.

If you have a folder named Download in the same folder (ex: on desktop), then you will need to rename it before running the mediacreationtool.exe file to avoid it and it's contents from being permanently deleted.

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download and run the mediacreationtool.exe file for the Windows Installation Media Creation Tool.

Source: Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

download

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Select the Language, Edition, and 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) Architecture you want for the ISO file, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-1.jpg

4. Select (dot) ISO file, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-2.jpg

5. Select where you would like to save the ISO file to, type in a name you want for the ISO file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-3.jpg

6. The Windows 8.1 ISO file will now begin to download. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-4.jpg

7. When the download has finished, you can click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-5.jpg

You could now create a bootable DVD/USB or UEFI USB with this ISO file when you like to do a clean or upgrade install of Windows 8.1 with.

OPTION TWO

Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with Retail Windows 8 or 8.1 Key

This option will not work with an OEM product key number.

This option will only work with a retail product key number.

1. Click/tap on the Microsoft site link below for your location, only click/tap on the Install Windows 8.1 button at the site like below to only download the Windows8-Setup.exe file, and save it to your desktop.

US: Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

UK: Upgrading Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

Install_Windows_8.png

2. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the WindowsSetupBox.zip file for Windows 8.1 Update. Open the ZIP file, and extract (drag and drop) the WindowsSetupBox.exe file to your desktop.

This is the official older 6.3.9600.16415 version of the WindowsSetupBox.exe file that is no longer available for download at Microsoft.

download

3. Run the Windows8-Setup.exe file (step 1), enter your RETAIL Windows 8 product key, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

This will not work if you use an OEM or system builders product key.

If you enter a generic key, then you will get a We can't connect right now message since they have been blocked.

If you still have the hidden folders below on your computer from the Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant, then you will see step 7 in OPTION THREE below instead.

You can delete these two hidden folders below to be able to enter your product key and download a new ISO file.

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup

AND

C:\ESD\Windows

To get a 32-bit Windows 8.1 Update ISO, you must run the .exe on a 32-bit Windows computer.

To get a 64-bit Windows 8.1 Update ISO, you must run the .exe on a 64-bit Windows computer.

Download-1.jpg

4. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Download-2.jpg

5. Once downloading starts and still at 0%, CLOSE Close.jpg the Windows 8 Setup window. (see screenshot below)

Stop.jpg

6. Quickly click/tap on Yes to approve closing "Windows 8 Setup". (see screenshot below)

Quit.jpg

7. Run the WindowsSetupBox.exe file (step 2) for Windows 8.1 Update.

8. Windows 8.1 Setup should now start downloading Windows 8.1 Update. Go to step 6 in OPTION THREE below to continue for the Windows 8.1 Update ISO file. (see screenshot below)

If it fails to start downloading Windows 8.1 or you get an error, then delete the two hidden folders below, and start over at step 3 above.

AND

8.1_Download.jpg

OPTION THREE

Download Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with a Retail Key

This option is for how to only download a Windows 8 ISO file using a Windows 8 product key, or to download a Windows 8.1 Update ISO file using a Windows 8.1 product key.

This option will not work with an OEM product key number.

This option will only work with a retail product key number.

1. Click/tap on the Microsoft site link below for your location, click/tap on the Install Windows 8 or Install Windows 8.1 button at the site to download and run the Windows8-Setup.exe (Windows 8) or OSGS14-WindowsSetupBox-32bitand64bit-English-4141408.exe (Windows 8.1 Update) file.

US: Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

UK: Upgrading Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

To get a 32-bit Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO, you must run the .exe on a 32-bit Windows computer.

To get a 64-bit Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO, you must run the .exe on a 64-bit Windows computer.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes (Windows 7/8) or Continue (Vista).

3. Type in either your RETAIL Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product key for the one you want to get an ISO for, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

This will not work if you use an OEM or system builders product key

If you enter a generic key, then you will get a We can't connect right now message since they have been blocked.

If you still have the hidden folders below on your computer from the Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant, then you will see step 7 instead.

You can delete the two folders below to be able to enter your product key and download a new ISO file.

AND

You will only be able to enter a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product key.

A Windows 8 product key will only get you a Windows 8 ISO file.

A Windows 8.1 product key will only get you a Windows 8.1 Update ISO file.

You will not be able to enter a Window Media Center Pack or Windows 8 Pro Pack product key. These are considered to be an upgrade key and can't be used to install Windows 8/8.1 with. You could use Add Features to add the Window Media Center Pack or Windows 8 Pro Pack again after Windows 8/8.1 is finished installing.

Download-1.jpg

4. You will now see that Windows 8 or 8.1 will be downloaded. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Download-2.jpg

5. Windows 8 or 8.1 will now begin to download. (see screenshot below)

Download-3.jpg

6. When it's finished downloading, it will check and verify the download, then start to getting files ready. (see screenshots below)

The Window 8 or 8.1 installation files will be saved in the hidden C:\ESD\Windows folder.

Download-4.jpg

Download-5.jpg

7. Select (dot) Install by creating media, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Download-6.jpg

8. Select (dot) ISO file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

Download-7.jpg

9. Navigate to a location where (ex: Desktop) you want to save the .iso file at, type in a name for the .iso file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

Download-8.jpg

10. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

Download-9.jpg

11. You will now have your upgrade Windows 8 ISO or full Windows 8.1 Update ISO file.

You could now create a bootable DVD/USB or UEFI USB with this ISO file to do a clean (8.1), clean for upgrade (8), or upgrade (8/8.1) install of Windows 8 with.

OPTION FOUR

To Create a Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO File from "C:\ESD\Windows" Folder

You will only be able to do this option if you still have the hidden "C:\ESD\Windows" folder from previously using OPTION TWO or OPTION THREE above, or from the Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant on this PC.

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the ESD-TO-ISO.zip file created by our member SIW2 (Simon).

If you use the ESD-TO-ISO.exe to create a 64-bit ISO, then it will also have UEFI support.

download

2. Save the ZIP file to your desktop, then extract (drag and drop) the contents to your desktop.

3. Unblock the ESD-TO-ISO.EXE, then right click on the ESD-TO-ISO.EXE file, and click on Run as administrator.

4. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes (Windows 7/8) or Continue (Vista).

5. Click/tap on GO. (see screenshot below)

ESD-1.jpg

6. Click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

ESD-2.jpg

7. It will now create the ISO file. (see screenshot below)

If you get an error saying the ISO file cannot be created, then delete the C:\ESD folder, and do OPTION TWO above instead.

ESD-3.jpg

8. Click/tap on Cancel unless you wanted to create (burn) a bootable DVD with ISO file. (see screenshot below)

Burning a DVD with a 64-bit ISO created using this option will also have UEFI support.

ESD-4.jpg

9. The upgrade Windows 8 ISO or full Windows 8.1 Update ISO file will be at the root of your C: drive. For example, C:\WIN8x64.iso. (see screenshot below)

You could now create a bootable DVD/USB or UEFI USB with this ISO file to do a clean (8.1), clean for upgrade (8), or upgrade (8/8.1) install of Windows 8/8.1 with.

ESD-5.jpg

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• ESD-TO-ISO.zip
    341.8 KB · Views: 33,735
  • WindowsSetupBox.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 45,795
Last edited by a moderator:
Will creating an 8.1 ISO using Option 1 with the Windows 8 setup on a machine that differs from the target machine work? After creating the ISO, I ran a hash check on it and its SHA1 value has no hits on Google. That leads me to believe that this ISO is unique. In what way is it unique? Is it unique to the machine hardware fingerprint upon which it was created or simply from the Windows 8.0 product key entered to initiate the download?

Hello Floepie,

The ISO file you get using OPTION ONE would be either for a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 8.1 depending on what the Windows is that you downloaded the ISO on.

This ISO is just a retail version, and not unique for your PC only.

The product key you enter while doing OPTION ONE will determine the edition of Windows 8.1 that the ISO file is for.

Hope this helps, :)
Shawn

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Ah, OK, thanks! Still a bit odd that SHA1 of the ISO then garners no hits in the Googles.

That last part is not what I was hoping to hear. So, the ISO doesn't have both Pro and Core versions, like the RTM Technet version does? I entered a paid-for Pro key, but I didn't intend to activate it on the target machine. I had intended to use the ISO to install the Core version in combination with the OEM key.

If all else fails, I do have the RTM Technet Core/Pro ISO for 8.1, but I thought it would be cleaner to install the "general availability" version which is newer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Core
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus UX302LA
I'm pretty sure the downloaded ISO would only be for the edition of the key entered, but you could try and see if it may do both Pro and Core as well. Please let us know how it went.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I'm pretty sure the downloaded ISO would only be for the edition of the key entered, but you could try and see if it may do both Pro and Core as well. Please let us know how it went.

Just as you expected, the created ISO contains only the version for which the key is intended, unlike the MSDN/Technet version, which includes both Core and Pro. As others mentioned to their surprise, only English UK was an option for install with no English US on the ISO. It could be perhaps because I'm in W. Europe.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Core
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus UX302LA
Nar, it's most likely to keep the size of the ISO as small as possible for download.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Apologies that I'm probably not answering the question (certainly not the part about ISOs) ... but in case it helps anyone, I have done the following:

• clean installed the 8.1 Preview using the 8.1 Preview ISO and the default Preview product key
  • upgraded in the Windows Store to 8.1 Final
  • Windows boots up with no problem and takes me through the rest of setup
  • input my 8.0 Product Key and activated 8.1 successfully.

The 8.0 Product Key was a Windows 8 Pro Upgrade key that had previously been used on the same machine before I wiped it with the Preview.

So you can upgrade the 8.1 Preview using an 8.0 key - I've done it!

Thank you David.

Was this on an OEM PC that came with Windows 8 Pro preinstalled?
Hi Shawn,

Apologies that this is a little late ;) but just in case it helps, I have finally had a chance to try something like the above, on a machine which had Windows 8 (Core not Pro) preinstalled.

1. Start with Windows 8 OEM laptop
  2. Find the Windows 8 Product Key. This is important as it doesn't self-activate later.
  3. Add Features using the Windows 8 Pro Pack product key to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. (This step isn't essential but I like Bitlocker and other Pro features so bought a Pro pack for the laptop.)
  4. Install Windows 8.1 Preview (note this is the Pro version) as a clean install from the ISO into the partition that held the original C: drive. I ran Windows Update but did little else on the PC.
  5. Upgrade to the final 8.1 using the Windows Store.
  6. Skipped the step during Setup to enter a product key, to see if it would read it from the BIOS - it doesn't!
  7. Once Windows 8.1 was going and connected to the web, entered the original Windows 8 product key (from step 2) . Even though I'd upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro Preview, it seemed happy to activate with a core key and the edition showed as "Windows 8.1" at this point.
  8. Use the product key from my Windows 8 Pro Pack to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro. As above, this isn't essential, but it did work.
  9. Seems to work and is activated and running - I just need to check through to make sure there aren't any drivers I need to update

It seems to work fine, so I have a clean-ish install of Windows 8.1 without needing a Technet ISO or anything else that didn't come direct from Microsoft (except to read the product key).

The only thing is... it's a bit late given the 8.1 Preview expires in less than 2 weeks!

I saved the 8.1 Preview download links and it seems I can still download the UK version of the 8.1 Preview ISO though, so it is still possible to give it a go.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Thanks David. Yeah, to bad it's for a 8.1 Preview.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I had already downloaded 8.1 upgrade from the Windows store, installed on my flagship PC.

Downloaded the install files as per tutorial.

When I ran the Winodows 8 install on my backup PC which has Win7 installed, and put in the serial key from my retail disc, the following error message came up: This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8.

Any thoughts on this? :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Hi Brink, thanks for the input.

My version is Windows 8 Pro 64bit. And the key still works if I reload Win8 off the retail disc ... I formatted my HD and tried it.

Pardon my ignorance, but is the GA version of Win 8.1 referred to in the other thread the same one downloaded off this tutorial?

Is that the same as the retail version of Win 8.1?

If I read the other post correctly, you download and save 8.1 by using the generic code provided in that thread. Then burn the ISO. And when you clean install you have to change the generic key in the OS to your original retail key of Win8 to activate it.

Update: The generic key was accepted OK using the Win 8.1 free download, but get error message: You're not connected to the net, even though I've got the Microsoft web page open. Not sure if the link is just busy or simply doesn't work?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs

My version is Windows 8 Pro 64bit. And the key still works if I reload Win8 off the retail disc ... I formatted my HD and tried it.

Pardon my ignorance, but is the GA version of Win 8.1 referred to in the other thread the same one downloaded off this tutorial?

If I read the other post correctly, you download and save 8.1 by using the generic code provided in that thread. Then burn the ISO. And when you clean install you have to change the generic key in the OS to your original retail key of Win8 to activate it.

Update: The generic key was accepted OK using the Win 8.1 free download, but get error message: You're not connected to the net, even though I've got the Microsoft web page open. Not sure if the link is just busy or simply doesn't work?

Yep, GA (General Availability) is the retail version and the same one you get from the download.

Do you have a 3rd party AV or firewall program installed that may be blocking it's internet connection?

If all else fails, you could also activate by phone after changing the key to the W8 key.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
1) Use the 8.0 purchased key to do the trick download of 8.1 installation media. Do not use generic key for this bit.

[ Note: If your 8.0 purchased key gets the can't connect message you are SOL.]

2) Use the generic key to get the 8.1 media you have downloaded to install

3) Use the 8.0 purchased again to activate after installation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks for the input guys.

#Brink: Am using Windows firewall but will try switching off Avast AV.

#SIW2:
1) Use the 8.0 purchased key to do the trick download of 8.1 installation media. Do not use generic key for this bit.
See my earlier post ... purchased key won't download either Window8-Setup or WindowsSetupBox (8.1).

Generic key works to download media but internet won't connect.

Update: Disabled Avast shields and no go on internet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Brink, after creating the Win8.1 ISO file I'm looking for a way to remove all the files created from Windows8-Setup.exe(Windows 8) and WindowsSetupBox.exe (Windows 8.1), to free up space on my SSD. Do I just delete the "WebSetup" folder located @ %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup? Can I also delete the "ESD" folder @ C:\ESD\Windows or is this needed to "Refresh" or "Reset Win8/8.1? If not, do you know where the image files to Refresh and Reset are located? Thanks in advance.

edit: Is it also true, what Edwin and Paul Thurrott said, that I won't be able to use the newly created Win8.1 DVD to clean install Win8.1? Do I just need a generic, install key to install then use my Win8 key to activate Win8.1??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS G73JH
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 720QM
    Motherboard
    Asus (Intel HM55 Chipset)
    Memory
    Kingston 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition (ALC269)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500-CT240M500SSD1 240GB (SSD)
    Mouse
    Razer Naga
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Browser
    IE11, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Webroot SecureAnywhere
Brink, after creating the Win8.1 ISO file I'm looking for a way to remove all the files created from Windows8-Setup.exe(Windows 8) and WindowsSetupBox.exe (Windows 8.1), to free up space on my SSD. Do I just delete the "WebSetup" folder located @ %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup? Can I also delete the "ESD" folder @ C:\ESD\Windows or is this needed to "Refresh" or "Reset Win8/8.1? If not, do you know where the image files to Refresh and Reset are located? Thanks in advance.

edit: Is it also true, what Edwin and Paul Thurrott said, that I won't be able to use the newly created Win8.1 DVD to clean install Win8.1? Do I just need a generic, install key to install then use my Win8 key to activate Win8.1??

Hi front360:
In the past I've always wiped and deleted all drives and partitions with a clean install of Windows 8 using the image and in doing so deleted all remnants of the ESD.
I've got a feeling it's not going to work that way with the 8.1 upgrade from USB and I can't seem to muster the ambition to try it because if it doesn't work, I'll have to start from scratch! :(
It does state on the Windows page "You must have Windows running on that partition", however, if you clean install Windows 8 then proceed to the update in due time, at least you won't have to download the update every time.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
Edwin, on Paul Thurrott's site in your previous link, on page 2 of the comments, "maestro" confirmed a clean install of the newly created Win8.1(with Win8 converted key DVD) using a generic install key. Then use your Win8 key to activate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS G73JH
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 720QM
    Motherboard
    Asus (Intel HM55 Chipset)
    Memory
    Kingston 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition (ALC269)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500-CT240M500SSD1 240GB (SSD)
    Mouse
    Razer Naga
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Browser
    IE11, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Webroot SecureAnywhere
Edwin, on Paul Thurrott's site in your previous link, on page 2 of the comments, "maestro" confirmed a clean install of the newly created Win8.1 using a generic install key. Then use your Win8 key to activate.

Hmmm... I just might try it then! Just not now! :D

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home

Yep, you can safely delete the ESD and WebSetup folders afterwards to free up space.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,