Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

ISO_file.png
How to Create or Download a Windows 8 and 8.1 ISO

If you purchased Windows 8/8.1 and have a "retail" Windows 8/8.1 product key, then this tutorial will show you how to create or download an upgrade Windows 8 ISO or full Windows 8.1 Update ISO file directly from Microsoft.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

You will need to have your Windows 8 or 8.1 product key number from your retail box package OR online order information in the confirmation email for your purchase.

For example, if you purchased Windows 8 or 8.1 online using the "Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant".

A Windows 8 product key will not directly activate Windows 8.1 Update. To be able to clean install Windows 8.1 Update and activate it with a Windows 8 product key, see:Clean Install - Windows 8

CONTENTS:
  • Option One: (recommended) Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation Tool"
  • Option Two: Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with Retail Windows 8 or 8.1 Key
  • Option Three: Download Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with a Retail Key
  • Option Four: To Create a Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO File from "C:\ESD\Windows" Folder

OPTION ONE

Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation Tool"

This option allows you to download the latest Windows 8.1 ISO file without needing a product key.

If you have a retail Windows 8 or 8.1 PC, then you will still need to have a valid Windows 8 or 8.1 product key to be able to install and activate Windows 8.1.

If you have an OEM Windows 8 or 8.1 PC, then you will also be able to use this ISO to install and activate Windows 8.1 if you are installing the same edition of Windows the key is for. The Windows 8 or 8.1 product key embedded in the UEFI firmware of the OEM PC will be automatically detected and used during installation to activate Windows 8.1.

When you run the mediacreationtool.exe file below it will permanently delete any folder named Download and it's contents that's in the same folder as the mediacreationtool.exe file.

If you have a folder named Download in the same folder (ex: on desktop), then you will need to rename it before running the mediacreationtool.exe file to avoid it and it's contents from being permanently deleted.

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download and run the mediacreationtool.exe file for the Windows Installation Media Creation Tool.

Source: Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

download

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Select the Language, Edition, and 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) Architecture you want for the ISO file, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-1.jpg

4. Select (dot) ISO file, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-2.jpg

5. Select where you would like to save the ISO file to, type in a name you want for the ISO file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-3.jpg

6. The Windows 8.1 ISO file will now begin to download. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-4.jpg

7. When the download has finished, you can click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

Windows_Installations_Media_Creation_Tool-5.jpg

You could now create a bootable DVD/USB or UEFI USB with this ISO file when you like to do a clean or upgrade install of Windows 8.1 with.

OPTION TWO

Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with Retail Windows 8 or 8.1 Key

This option will not work with an OEM product key number.

This option will only work with a retail product key number.

1. Click/tap on the Microsoft site link below for your location, only click/tap on the Install Windows 8.1 button at the site like below to only download the Windows8-Setup.exe file, and save it to your desktop.

US: Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

UK: Upgrading Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

Install_Windows_8.png

2. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the WindowsSetupBox.zip file for Windows 8.1 Update. Open the ZIP file, and extract (drag and drop) the WindowsSetupBox.exe file to your desktop.

This is the official older 6.3.9600.16415 version of the WindowsSetupBox.exe file that is no longer available for download at Microsoft.

download

3. Run the Windows8-Setup.exe file (step 1), enter your RETAIL Windows 8 product key, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

This will not work if you use an OEM or system builders product key.

If you enter a generic key, then you will get a We can't connect right now message since they have been blocked.

If you still have the hidden folders below on your computer from the Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant, then you will see step 7 in OPTION THREE below instead.

You can delete these two hidden folders below to be able to enter your product key and download a new ISO file.

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup

AND

C:\ESD\Windows

To get a 32-bit Windows 8.1 Update ISO, you must run the .exe on a 32-bit Windows computer.

To get a 64-bit Windows 8.1 Update ISO, you must run the .exe on a 64-bit Windows computer.

Download-1.jpg

4. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Download-2.jpg

5. Once downloading starts and still at 0%, CLOSE Close.jpg the Windows 8 Setup window. (see screenshot below)

Stop.jpg

6. Quickly click/tap on Yes to approve closing "Windows 8 Setup". (see screenshot below)

Quit.jpg

7. Run the WindowsSetupBox.exe file (step 2) for Windows 8.1 Update.

8. Windows 8.1 Setup should now start downloading Windows 8.1 Update. Go to step 6 in OPTION THREE below to continue for the Windows 8.1 Update ISO file. (see screenshot below)

If it fails to start downloading Windows 8.1 or you get an error, then delete the two hidden folders below, and start over at step 3 above.

AND

8.1_Download.jpg

OPTION THREE

Download Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with a Retail Key

This option is for how to only download a Windows 8 ISO file using a Windows 8 product key, or to download a Windows 8.1 Update ISO file using a Windows 8.1 product key.

This option will not work with an OEM product key number.

This option will only work with a retail product key number.

1. Click/tap on the Microsoft site link below for your location, click/tap on the Install Windows 8 or Install Windows 8.1 button at the site to download and run the Windows8-Setup.exe (Windows 8) or OSGS14-WindowsSetupBox-32bitand64bit-English-4141408.exe (Windows 8.1 Update) file.

US: Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

UK: Upgrading Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help

To get a 32-bit Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO, you must run the .exe on a 32-bit Windows computer.

To get a 64-bit Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO, you must run the .exe on a 64-bit Windows computer.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes (Windows 7/8) or Continue (Vista).

3. Type in either your RETAIL Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product key for the one you want to get an ISO for, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

This will not work if you use an OEM or system builders product key

If you enter a generic key, then you will get a We can't connect right now message since they have been blocked.

If you still have the hidden folders below on your computer from the Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant, then you will see step 7 instead.

You can delete the two folders below to be able to enter your product key and download a new ISO file.

AND

You will only be able to enter a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product key.

A Windows 8 product key will only get you a Windows 8 ISO file.

A Windows 8.1 product key will only get you a Windows 8.1 Update ISO file.

You will not be able to enter a Window Media Center Pack or Windows 8 Pro Pack product key. These are considered to be an upgrade key and can't be used to install Windows 8/8.1 with. You could use Add Features to add the Window Media Center Pack or Windows 8 Pro Pack again after Windows 8/8.1 is finished installing.

Download-1.jpg

4. You will now see that Windows 8 or 8.1 will be downloaded. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Download-2.jpg

5. Windows 8 or 8.1 will now begin to download. (see screenshot below)

Download-3.jpg

6. When it's finished downloading, it will check and verify the download, then start to getting files ready. (see screenshots below)

The Window 8 or 8.1 installation files will be saved in the hidden C:\ESD\Windows folder.

Download-4.jpg

Download-5.jpg

7. Select (dot) Install by creating media, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Download-6.jpg

8. Select (dot) ISO file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

Download-7.jpg

9. Navigate to a location where (ex: Desktop) you want to save the .iso file at, type in a name for the .iso file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

Download-8.jpg

10. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

Download-9.jpg

11. You will now have your upgrade Windows 8 ISO or full Windows 8.1 Update ISO file.

You could now create a bootable DVD/USB or UEFI USB with this ISO file to do a clean (8.1), clean for upgrade (8), or upgrade (8/8.1) install of Windows 8 with.

OPTION FOUR

To Create a Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO File from "C:\ESD\Windows" Folder

You will only be able to do this option if you still have the hidden "C:\ESD\Windows" folder from previously using OPTION TWO or OPTION THREE above, or from the Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade Assistant on this PC.

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the ESD-TO-ISO.zip file created by our member SIW2 (Simon).

If you use the ESD-TO-ISO.exe to create a 64-bit ISO, then it will also have UEFI support.

download

2. Save the ZIP file to your desktop, then extract (drag and drop) the contents to your desktop.

3. Unblock the ESD-TO-ISO.EXE, then right click on the ESD-TO-ISO.EXE file, and click on Run as administrator.

4. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes (Windows 7/8) or Continue (Vista).

5. Click/tap on GO. (see screenshot below)

ESD-1.jpg

6. Click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

ESD-2.jpg

7. It will now create the ISO file. (see screenshot below)

If you get an error saying the ISO file cannot be created, then delete the C:\ESD folder, and do OPTION TWO above instead.

ESD-3.jpg

8. Click/tap on Cancel unless you wanted to create (burn) a bootable DVD with ISO file. (see screenshot below)

Burning a DVD with a 64-bit ISO created using this option will also have UEFI support.

ESD-4.jpg

9. The upgrade Windows 8 ISO or full Windows 8.1 Update ISO file will be at the root of your C: drive. For example, C:\WIN8x64.iso. (see screenshot below)

You could now create a bootable DVD/USB or UEFI USB with this ISO file to do a clean (8.1), clean for upgrade (8), or upgrade (8/8.1) install of Windows 8/8.1 with.

ESD-5.jpg

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• ESD-TO-ISO.zip
    341.8 KB · Views: 33,758
  • WindowsSetupBox.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 45,851
Last edited by a moderator:
That's great news fishing. I'm happy to hear that MS was able to get it sorted for you. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
When I click on the download and the downloads completes. when it first starts it does not ask me to put in a product key. It starts me off where your step 7 is. why is that?

Also when it does finally ask me for a product key it will not let me change the key it already has in there. Why?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    NP540U3C-A01UB
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 1701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(S)
    Motherboard
    Samsung
    Memory
    DDR3 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
Hello Chiumiento,

Did you ever previously run the "Windows Upgrade Assistant" or Windows8-Setup.exe file on this computer?

If so, then that's why since the information is held in the hidden %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup folder from last time.

However, none of this matters if you are just wanting the ISO file.

You would just enter the product key number during the installation of Windows 8 instead.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Hello Chiumiento,

Did you ever previously run the "Windows Upgrade Assistant" or Windows8-Setup.exe file on this computer?

If so, then that's why since the information is held in the hidden %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup folder from last time.

However, none of this matters if you are just wanting the ISO file.

You would just enter the product key number during the installation of Windows 8 instead.

I got everything to work. Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    NP540U3C-A01UB
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 1701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(S)
    Motherboard
    Samsung
    Memory
    DDR3 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
You're welcome Chiumiento. Glad to hear you got it sorted. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
On option one step three, after I enter my proudct key and hit next I get the just a bit longer screen. After 30 sec or so it tells me it can't connect and to check my internet connection. I'm on the internet now. Any ideas why I might be getting this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64
    IBuyPower
    CPU
    Phenom II X4 965 Black
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte MA770t-UD3P
    Memory
    Corsair Vengance 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 550 TI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell HD LCD 23" wide screen
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    C drive is 1 TB
    F drive is 40 Gb used to store video clips/screenshots
    G drive is 500 Gb and is my backup drive
    PSU
    700w
    Case
    NZXT Lexa S
    Cooling
    4 fans with NZXT controller, Corsair H60
    Keyboard
    Logitech G510
    Mouse
    Logitech G9X
I never did get my windows 8 Pr0. download sorted even after 90 a temps to try and download it and two Microsoft experts in the PHILIPPIANS spent over 2 hours on my computer trying to sort it and when they got my computer to download Windows 8 Pro.
Later when I tried to install Windows 8 Pro. it said that the serial number was wrong.
After many e-mails to Microsoft they agreed to send me Windows 8 Pro. on a disk and its now installed on my computer .
Its a lot different to Windows 7 so have fun with it

Mick Nolan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
I never did get my windows 8 Pr0. download sorted even after 90 a temps to try and download it and two Microsoft experts in the PHILIPPIANS spent over 2 hours on my computer trying to sort it and when they got my computer to download Windows 8 Pro.
Later when I tried to install Windows 8 Pro. it said that the serial number was wrong.
After many e-mails to Microsoft they agreed to send me Windows 8 Pro. on a disk and its now installed on my computer .
Its a lot different to Windows 7 so have fun with it

Mick Nolan

How was the experience with Windows 8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
On option one step three, after I enter my proudct key and hit next I get the just a bit longer screen. After 30 sec or so it tells me it can't connect and to check my internet connection. I'm on the internet now. Any ideas why I might be getting this?

Hello John,

Do you have a 3rd party AV or firewall program installed that may be blocking it's access to the internet?

If so, then temporarily disable or uninstall it to see if that may help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
6.11.13 - I have two questions I am hoping someone might clarify.

#1) I have a W8x64Pro.iso file and the product key that allowed me to download the file from MS. (I also have a MS DVD backup disk that clearly states the disk contains Windows 8 and Windows 8 Professional.) As yet, I have not burned the .iso file to make a bootable DVD. I want to install the W8P OS with UEFI support. My motherboard supports UEFI (ASUS P8z77-v).
The various 8F.com tutorials on W8 installation seem to suggest in order to install W8 w/UEFI the installation media must be a USB device. Q: Is my statement correct or in-correct?

#2) Q: On the 8Fs.com installation tutorials, when discussing an upgrade for W8, is the upgrade in question an upgrade *from XP,Vista,W7 to W8; or is it an upgrade from W8 to W8 Professional?

My objective is to install W8P with UEFI support and various productivity applications to a new SSD.
thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8x64Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    3rd generation intel i5-3570k
    Motherboard
    asus p8Z77-V LK with latest Bios: xx11
    Memory
    16GB samsung 1600 DDR3 (4x4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel 4000 onboard
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC898 - 8 channel HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC Multisync
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    Intel 520 - 180GB
    Hitachi 1TB exterior SATA II backup drive
    PSU
    Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 700w
    Case
    SuperMicro - 1991 ATX - ivory in color
    Cooling
    intel on cpu. one 92mm chassie intake fan - power supply fan
    Keyboard
    ms natural 4000 - usb [love it]
    Mouse
    marathon mouse 705 - logitech
    Internet Speed
    ATT Max -12Gb/s
    Browser
    IE 10
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Icon photo of 'Bill the Cat" on the front case cover.
    no color led's or blinking lights

#1) I have a W8x64Pro.iso file and the product key that allowed me to download the file from MS. (I also have a MS DVD backup disk that clearly states the disk contains Windows 8 and Windows 8 Professional.) As yet, I have not burned the .iso file to make a bootable DVD. I want to install the W8P OS with UEFI support. My motherboard supports UEFI (ASUS P8z77-v).
The various 8F.com tutorials on W8 installation seem to suggest in order to install W8 w/UEFI the installation media must be a USB device. Q: Is my statement correct or in-correct?

#2) Q: On the 8Fs.com installation tutorials, when discussing an upgrade for W8, is the upgrade in question an upgrade *from XP,Vista,W7 to W8; or is it an upgrade from W8 to W8 Professional?

My objective is to install W8P with UEFI support and various productivity applications to a new SSD.
thank you.

Hello BigFatBoy,

Q1) Creating a UEFI USB flash drive would be the best way to install 64-bit Windows 8 with UEFI, but you could use a DVD.
Q2) If you like, you could do a clean install with Windows 8 instead.
Hope this helps, :)
Shawn

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
You can install in efi mode using dvd.

Usually upgrade means from an earlier os.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
a RE-DO of my earlier post... (see below)

thank you.

Hello BigFatBoy,

Q1) Creating a UEFI USB flash drive would be the best way to install 64-bit Windows 8 with UEFI, but you could use a DVD.
Q2) If you like, you could do a clean install with Windows 8 instead.
Hope this helps, :)
Shawn
--------------------------------------------------------

Shawn,
I am going to proceed by using your response to my original Q1. With that in mind;

I again downloaded my W8Px64 Upgrade-2-W8P from Microsoft a few days ago. I then choose to create install media using a USB memory card. Next I will follow the link you provided for UEFI: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

Q2) With regards to a "Clean Install" ???
Can I do a Clean Install using the MS_W8Px64 Upgrade above that I downloaded to a USB??
Your earlier response (also above), "If you like, you could do a clean install with Windows 8 instead", sounded like it might be an either/or situation..

thank you

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8x64Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    3rd generation intel i5-3570k
    Motherboard
    asus p8Z77-V LK with latest Bios: xx11
    Memory
    16GB samsung 1600 DDR3 (4x4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel 4000 onboard
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC898 - 8 channel HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC Multisync
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    Intel 520 - 180GB
    Hitachi 1TB exterior SATA II backup drive
    PSU
    Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 700w
    Case
    SuperMicro - 1991 ATX - ivory in color
    Cooling
    intel on cpu. one 92mm chassie intake fan - power supply fan
    Keyboard
    ms natural 4000 - usb [love it]
    Mouse
    marathon mouse 705 - logitech
    Internet Speed
    ATT Max -12Gb/s
    Browser
    IE 10
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Icon photo of 'Bill the Cat" on the front case cover.
    no color led's or blinking lights

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Hi Shawn,

Used the ESD method, which wrote the file to the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore" folder. No prob.
I note that the ISO is not named "8.1" but "8" instead. Is it indeed the 8.1 ISO - before I go to the trouble of the install?

Thanks, and good work! h

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8
Hello Borgus,

No worries. It's for 8.1. The product key you enter determines what gets installed.

I chose to have an ISO created, which uses the same files from ESD. When I used the ISO to install Windows 8.1 in a virtual machine to verify if it was an upgrade or full ISO, it came up as Windows 8. After entering the 8.1 product key, it did show as and install the Windows 8.1 I purchased. It was also verified that it installed a full retail version of Windows 8.1. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
OK, but I have no 8.1 product key. I installed the PV over a purchased 8, so that's the only key I have. Will this do?
I recall that 8.1 PV had a general product key. If that's needed, perhaps you could pass it on. Thanks. h

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8
Borgus,

Sorry, but no.

Since you upgraded with the free Windows 8.1 update from the Store in Window 8, you would have to reinstall Windows 8, then update to 8.1 whenever you wanted to do a clean install.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Borgus,

Sorry, but no.

Since you upgraded with the free Windows 8.1 update from the Store in Window 8, you would have to reinstall Windows 8, then update to 8.1 whenever you wanted to do a clean install.

So, if I correctly understand you, there is no way to obtain an 8.1 ISO that can be installed over 8.0 (which I can restore).
Or, better still, be installed over 8.1 PV. The only alternative is to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 via the STORE? Best

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8
Back