Windows 8 and Red Alert 2 Yuri

@chaotix000
If the above doesn't work or if you get sloppy performance, simply consider connecting a mouse in the tablet USB port: it will work. :)
So far I'm pretty sure that Windows and Android tablets support mouse pointers, only iOS / Ipads lack mouse support.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
The weird thing is that I've got it to work before. I just don't remember what I did. I know it had something to do with mouse keys but I gang get it to work again. When it was working it was working very well almost like it was written for touch screen. And I already use Virtual Mouse pointer. Its great but the game doesn't see it as a mouse.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Does anyone know how I can get rid of the black sidebars? I've reinstalled the game countless times already, even reformatted my laptop. Most of the games I have had these sidebars and I'm at my wits' end. This includes Yuri's Revenge and Red Alert 2 and I'm running on Windows 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Does anyone know how I can get rid of the black sidebars? I've reinstalled the game countless times already, even reformatted my laptop. Most of the games I have had these sidebars and I'm at my wits' end. This includes Yuri's Revenge and Red Alert 2 and I'm running on Windows 8.1.

It's most likely because 4:3 aspect ratio is kept.
Your (main) graphic card controls the stretching/aspect ratio.

You have 2 options:
1. keep the game's resolution and stretch to fullscreen
or
2. change the game's resolution to one using your screen aspect ratio.

Details:

1. Keep the game resolution and stretch; You'll need to apply the opposite of this:
Challenge Accepted: Avoiding Stretch on 4:3 Games | Netbookist
(full screen) Keep in mind that the example is Intel; for Nvidia or AMD you'll need to look for similar settings.

2. Change the game resolution an don't stretch. Depending on your screen, pick a 16:9 or 16:10 resolution (for instance the native resolution of your screen)
Add that resolution in the ra2md.ini for Yuri and ra2.ini for ra2 and start the game.
For more info read back post 35 here.

Cheers!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
this solution worked for me
there is a a file called ra2md.ini
change the resolution into your screen res.
it WON'T remove the black bars from the loading and choosing mission's screen but it WILL remove them during game play

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Inter Core I5 3210M
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce 610
    Screen Resolution
    1366*786
    Internet Speed
    1MBpS
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Avira
    Other Info
    medical student who enjoys gaming
Dear Hopachi. Thank you very much. the Ares patch solved the biggest problem (YR Lag on Windows 8.1 x64). But now i have a second issue. i used to have a screen resolution patch for YR. ( the one where you need to write ''hires'' in main menu of YR to have more resolution options in the Options ). There i can select 1920x1080. When i start a game. The game runs on full speed. The screen is ajusted correctly as 1920x1080. But now i have a problem with the mouse pointer. i can select the mcv and deploy it. but i cant move my mouse to the right side of my screen. Also when i open in game options with clicking on ''ESC'' on my keyboard i cant click on '' abort game'' or ''resume game'' Any ideas why? and how to fix this. I can feel i am near. almost done. after i fix this problem it means that i can fully use YR on windows 8.1 like i want to. Thanks for reading. I will wait for a response.

Hello DarkForceX, welcome to the forums!

Seems to be a weird issue and I'm not sure I fully understand the mouse part. If this post(s) info still don't fix it, try posting a screenshot if it might help out showing the issue.

Ok, first of all, make sure the resolution is added in the RA2MD.ini file (see previous posts for the ini) because the ingame menu's will use it too. I'm not aware of any resolution patches so far because it simply worked in the ini. The main menu's use always 800x600. Other issue is that the game starts in 16bit color so you'll have to use compatibility mode with reduced color mode to 16bit. I don't think Ares was designed to accept other patches since it's a patch by itself. Once you add the resolution to the ini, the game should be OK with it. Some game-mods may add other ini files or set extra resolution settings but a normal-flavored game works fine with the usual ini, be it in full-hd.

Cheers!
Hopachi

Thank you for your fast response. I managed to see that i had edited the ra2.ini file and not ra2md.ini. i thought that ra2.ini was for both ra2 and yr i did not even know that there was a ra2md.ini file :S how genius am i ?. so that was the mistake :D. i dont even have to use Ares patch because i added the VideoBackBuffer=no ​line (under Video) in ra2md.ini. and dont even need to use the resolution patch since you teached me to edit the resolution of the screen simply in the ra2md.ini. Thank you very much for helping this out This is absolutely a great helpful forum!. i can play Yuris Revenge on Windows 8.1 Pro x64 without any problems!:thumb::dinesh::party:.

First time Poster

Just want to shout out Hopachi and DarkForceX for the solution to this problem = RA2 Yuri's Revenge on WIndows 8.1 :thumb:

Just curious if there is any way to find the right patch for LAN/Network games with other windows 8, or windows 7 players. (Without using VBox)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Well. First of All. I'm in S.Korea. And I'm Korean.
I was installed Ra2&YR in Windows 8.1 K.
My Pc's CPU is Intel G3240, Motherboard is Asrock B85M Pro. My copy is in the Mania Pack, that was published in S.Korea by EA Korea.
But I didn't installed that. When I was looked the autorun window and click the 'install', and see the User account Panel. At that time, I was Click to Yes, that's over. It didn't Next work.
What I do that?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 K
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G3240
    Motherboard
    AsRock B85M Pro
    Hard Drives
    SSD : Micron Crucial M500 SSD 240GB/HDD : WD 4TB GREEN WD40EZRX (SATA3/64M)
Back