Windows 8 - a return to the stone age?

The "Windows" comments are cute, but ignore the fact that Windows is filled with Windows, even in full-screen mode. Every button, every icon, every link, every textbox is a window...
That is blatantly untrue. I did real "windows programming" for a while, and those items (buttons, icons, links, menus) are NOT windows. The "window" is the "container" that holds a set of those items. The "window" is what you drag around the screen, open and close, and resize.

My Computer

I don't know what you would consider the "stone age" in computing terms, but BEFORE MS Windows came out, I was a Tech Lead at a Fortune 500 company and, at that time, we bought the new portable PCs (which would today be called laptops) and ran an interface known as Framework on it. It allowed "windows" of sorts.

We were so impressed with it, that we used Framework to create "frames" on the screen, display text in those frames, resize the frames, and move them around.

Even back then, we could have more than one "frame" on the screen at the same time!

My Computer

Are you saying that grub configures itself into the BCD menu? I've never heard of that... That's kind of weird.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I am only sick of the flat non-Aero thing. I miss it more each day.

But for the rest, once Start8 came out and you learn the tricks to ignore Metro, it is like W7. Just FLATTTTT. Suffocatingly flat and visually back to the stone age.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus X501A
    CPU
    Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X501A1 (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1366x768 Generic PnP Monitor on Intel HD Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BPVT-80JJ5T0 (SATA)
    Mouse
    Always touchpad with Asus' Smart Gestures
    Browser
    7star
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Hardly warrants a reply. Sure you can do it that way. All I can say is: Klunk, klunk, klunk! And what about three or four open at same time? Or five or six. Lets see a video of that, uh?

there in lies the problem with metro, you can have 2 open but no more, add dual screen to that and as a poster pointed out on another thread the metro disapears everytime you use that screen making the live tiles somewhat pointless.

all in all metro is a failed interface that while suitable for tablets/phones/laptops is again not suitable for desktops, i'm typing this from a dual monitor setup and have multiple apps open across both screens so i can reference them, mail/blog/movie/a game/this website/word/access/steam....i really need a 3rd/4th screen:(

windows 8 in desktop mode can do all of that, but then metro becomes completly redundant, and i don't want it to be redundant, i don't want to have to use a start button ala win 7, i want metro to bloody well work for the many different people that will use it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
I've had both joys and frustrations using Windows 8 ... Try not to flame me too badly.

We're not into flaming around here. What do you think this is, anyway, ZDNet? ;-)

Your concerns are all valid. After observing Win8 for a year (in VM's) and testing "Pro" on my machine for a month I decided that, at least for me, it's an irrelevant release of the O/S. My machine is back to Win7 and is a happy camper again.

One of my best friends came to me today and told me he'd bought a new laptop for his mom. (She's in her late 70's or something). Pre-loaded with Win8 and caused all kinds of headaches. To people who aren't experts like many of us on this board, Win8 is going to be very annoying. We've covered most of the why's and wherefore's by now but, relax, you're not going nuts, and you're not alone.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
The "Windows" comments are cute, but ignore the fact that Windows is filled with Windows, even in full-screen mode. Every button, every icon, every link, every textbox is a window...
That is blatantly untrue. I did real "windows programming" for a while, and those items (buttons, icons, links, menus) are NOT windows.

It's neither blatantly untrue nor absolutely true. It depends very much on the program. It is largely true for conventional Windows API programs. It's mostly untrue for dialog boxes in programs like Office and has been for a long time, as Microsoft went their own way with that instead of using the native Windows controls. If you have Spy++ or Sysinternals Process Explorer, you can drag their "Find Window" tool around the screen. They will draw a heavy border around every window you hover over (though certain trickery can cause false negatives). For example, for the main Outloook 2013 options dialog, most of the contents are not windows. For iTunes 11 Preferences, every label, checkbox, button, editbox, etc is a window, a standard Windows "control", with window classes including "STATIC", "EDIT", "BUTTON", "COMBOBOX", etc.

The "window" is the "container" that holds a set of those items. The "window" is what you drag around the screen, open and close, and resize.

While true as far as it goes, that is a blatantly incomplete definition of "window" in Windows programming.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
It should be noted that what a programmer might call a window in code isn't always considered a window by anyone else, especially the end user. You'd never refer to an icon, link or text box as window in a tech manual. If you did, users would never get past the first page of the instruction manual and you'd confuse the hell out of them.

For purposes of the intent of my original post a window is a separate discreet program running in it's own frame. The difference intended is that Tablet applications are not designed to run in a window but there is no reason why Windows 8 couldn't run Metro apps in a Window. To me it's counter to the product name which is Windows.

Mystere pointed out this is an interim OS. I am not sure where he is getting that but assuming it's true, I believe that Windows 8 was in development long enough to have been able to run instances of of Metro tablet apps in separate Windows on the desktop.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel Core II
    Motherboard
    EVGA 680i
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia 8800GT
While true as far as it goes, that is a blatantly incomplete definition of "window" in Windows programming.

It should be noted that what a programmer might call a window in code isn't always considered a window by anyone else, especially the end user.

Yeah, well, it should be noted I was replying to someone who was speaking as a programmer:

That is blatantly untrue. I did real "windows programming" for a while, and those items (buttons, icons, links, menus) are NOT windows. The "window" is the "container" that holds a set of those items. The "window" is what you drag around the screen, open and close, and resize.

And please preview your posts and check the quoting. You attributed the correct statement I wrote to the guy I was correcting. I had to fix it in this reply to you. And because you incompletely quoted me, it should be noted that the part you did quote pertains only to Phelps' last sentence. I responded to his preceding statements separately, as they aren't "true as far as it goes".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
And please preview your posts and check the quoting. You attributed the correct statement I wrote to the guy I was correcting. I had to fix it in this reply to you. And because you incompletely quoted me, it should be noted that the part you did quote pertains only to Phelps' last sentence. I responded to his preceding statements separately, as they aren't "true as far as it goes".

My apologies... a simple PM would have sufficed. I would have fixed the quote.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel Core II
    Motherboard
    EVGA 680i
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia 8800GT
If memory serves me right in the stone age they used stone tablets to communicate on which they chipped out pictures, (icons). The first computer back then was probably called "Inca 8". This pre-dated the Romans using wax tablets and a stylus. Which in turn predated the printing press and text. And now we're back to pictures, (icons) on a Metro tablet. And of course there was the Abacus.

I guess chimpaneze could be taught to use icon tablets if they got a banana each time they hit the correct icon? :dinesh:

It's said that one picture can tell a thousand words. But I haven't seen too many best seller novels comprised of 40 or 50 pictures ... except kiddies books and comics.

Or a book with an index of 40 or 50 single page pictures for every chapter.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Back