Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

The recently released operating system Windows 8.1 is a thing of the past. Microsoft is attentively monitoring the reviews for this version and the company has already started to create a list of changes that will appear in the new Windows 8.2. We’re intriducing you the most interesting features of the upcoming Windows 8.2 operating system.
Read more at Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

I'm not surprised at all with simplification in GUIs, after all, object oriented programing and modular apps have been predicted and promised long time ago. One job, one app is not a bad idea at all and is coming with some detours anyway. Art and detailing have been replaced bu utilitarian look of products long time ago, so no big surprise with GUI and computer use too.
In some ways, I'm longing for times when machines, buildings, etc. were highly ornamented and pleasing to the eye but that time is gone, nobody wants to turn the crank to get something started or keep it going, push the button and let it rip is everywhere, why would computers as a cutting edge of technology be exempt.
I'm expecting future OSs to be even more simplified on the surface, push the button and there it goes, tinkerers not welcome. Less and less people even want to know how something works, let alone change something in it.
Some may call it "Dumb-ing it" but that's nothing new either, it's been going for may years now and nothing has even slowed it down yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I wish they'd bring back the touch 'flicks' that were in windows 7. Very useful for a touch screen and they took it away the dirty bums.
They probably interfere with the metro apps but u think they could isolate the 'flicks' to desktop programs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
You are obviously missing my point - which I may have worded wrong. The point is that the new UI is trying to attract people that have no intention (or are not capable) to learn anything about computers. They just want to push buttons like at the McDo's cash register. And the new applications are the same - everything comes out of the can, just put it into the microwave.This way they can convince even the most sceptical person to buy a system. Why do you think they made all those commercials with little kids demonstrating Windows 8 - like a Playmobil.And guess what - all those sophisticated people in those companies that use the advanced applications that you are describing don't seem to buy Windows 8.
I think you're right that the metro UI, apart from being more adapted to touchscreens and mobiles, is an attempt at simplifying and attracting regular users. And while you seem sarcastic about it, I think overall it succeeds at that. It's reminiscent of some of the first graphic OSes (win 1, Microsoft Bob ) or even some DOS shells (thinking about gem) : big buttons, limited multitasking, settings and customization hidden or difficult to access. That might be bad for power users but for regular joes who only use a few applications, one at a time, it's probably great.
The main problem is that people react badly to change (be it for good or bad), give it a few years, and it will be fine...

Anyway, I use windows 8, I have uninstalled all apps except for the store and skydrive (and not even using them yet), I start automatically in desktop mode, and don't see much difference from my habits in xp/win 7. While there's all this craze about the start menu, it hasn't really affected me (and I used it fairly often) : main applications have shortcuts on the desktop and I either use search or put folder shortcuts with program categories again on the desktop for others (reminds me of win 3 :D ). Keep in mind tho, that I have always been a fan of windows/file explorer (always at least 3 open), and it's one of my main ways of navigating through the pc. If you know your way around the os, it's pretty easy to have an experience similar to previous windows, and with 3rd party software, all's done for you. Sigh... Not sure what all this debate is really about.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have no problem using windows 8. In the early days I had even made a dozen tutorials about it. But for my day to day use I still prefer Windows 7. Maybe it is just because I am too lazy to repeat my rather complicated setup.

In addition I do not really fancy to pay for new licenses for my 6 PCs. The one license I bought for $40 I installed under VMware Player on an external SSD. This way I can run it on any of my systems.

Portable OS - Carry your OS on an External Drive - Windows 7 Help Forums

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I'm not surprised at all with simplification in GUIs, after all, object oriented programing and modular apps have been predicted and promised long time ago. One job, one app is not a bad idea at all and is coming with some detours anyway. Art and detailing have been replaced bu utilitarian look of products long time ago, so no big surprise with GUI and computer use too.
In some ways, I'm longing for times when machines, buildings, etc. were highly ornamented and pleasing to the eye but that time is gone, nobody wants to turn the crank to get something started or keep it going, push the button and let it rip is everywhere, why would computers as a cutting edge of technology be exempt.
I'm expecting future OSs to be even more simplified on the surface, push the button and there it goes, tinkerers not welcome. Less and less people even want to know how something works, let alone change something in it.
Some may call it "Dumb-ing it" but that's nothing new either, it's been going for may years now and nothing has even slowed it down yet.

Hi there

The "One job one app" can be OK as a design philosophy - however it shouldn't be forgotten jobs often have to co-exist with other processes and execute conditionally on other actions running or being completed.

So long also as the design strategy doesn't inhibit people from CONCURRENTLY running as many (or as few) tasks as their system and desires allow then it's fine - but often I despair of these so called "simplifications" as they are almost impossible to fix if something goes wrong - so you have to be CAREFUL what you simplify and ensure there is a CONSISTENT API across the whole platform otherwise upgrading / changing either apps or the OS would become a COMPLETE nightmare.

However I think (as far as I can gather from professional developers that I know in the I.T industry) it's not MODULAR programming any more (that's all old old stuff and Dinosaur Programming) but all OBJECT Orientated stuff (O.O) these days and things like Classes etc can become very complex indeed - however when it's done correctly errors are considerably reduced and development time is cut down considerably.

As far as LOOK and FEEL is concerened - I prefer a more ornamental and "comfortable" style than the stark modern look -- for example I utterly LOATHE those hideously expensive "Minimalist looking" Loft style apartments so beloved of the "Urban Young" these days where every item (all 3 of them) has to have a specific function -- They always make me feel I've gone into a Railway work shed with a few black painted Girders as shelves and you have to hunt for somewhere to sit while being totally afraid even to LOOK at anything in case a smear mark appears. -- I prefer a more relaxed slightly cluttered comfortable look with plenty of wood and even NON functional objects or ornaments around.

Same with the GUI -- too simple and I don't think it works.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I was just referring to trends, not that I like them. I'm sure that beauty and practicality are not mutually exclusive. I have antique furniture and a lot of old stuff as well as a lot of paintings (most of them left from my mother, she was academically schooled ). So yes I would like to see nicer icons and the rest of stuff on or about computers more esthetically presented but not at the expense of usability and visibility.
Luckily, there's a lot of different themes for windows which more esthetically oriented people make and present so there are a lot opportunities to change what folks at MS deem acceptable. I always extensively customized my cars and boats so doing that to OS is much less work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Who needs tiles when I have all the shortcuts on desktop and in a way that is logical to me. Win 7 had no classic menus and a search that is ridiculous. Win 8 may be fast loading but its search is horrid and Metro looks like it was designed by Fisher price. Both 7 and 8 have this "Hide and seek" GUI. Frustrating at best. I use Classic shell on both my 7 and 8 machines. As for 8.2 and 9? They will probably only work on smartphones and tablets. Windows 8 series is what consoles are to gaming. No serious gamer will use a console. PC desktop is the only way to go for serious applications.
Untitled.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    compac CQ58
    CPU
    AMD
Same with me. I don't think I've used the Start Screen or any Metro app in months. If I need something that isn't on my Desktop or Taskbar, I may use the Metro all-apps screen. But that rarely happens.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8
    HP 23-D030

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Oh boy, looks like I'll have to go through and update the tutorials again.

:doh:

If I was you I would send the &@$+@R£'$ an invoice. They may pay it as well. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770K @3.5hz
    Motherboard
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    Memory
    Kingston Technology 16GB (2x 8GB) 2133MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM XMP HyperX Predator Series Memory M
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 670 4gb
    Sound Card
    N/A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2007v
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 128GB
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM
    PSU
    Enermax Platinax EPM1000EWT Special OC Edition
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF Full Tower nVIDIA Edition
    Cooling
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
    Keyboard
    HP
    Mouse
    Corsair Vengeance M90
    Internet Speed
    10MB
    Other Info
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
I read something the other day about them expanding on the "Something Happened " error screen. 8.2 will have an additional, "That wasn't supposed to happen " screen, and plans are in the works for an "It sucks to be you " screen. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I read something the other day about them expanding on the "Something Happened " error screen. 8.2 will have an additional, "That wasn't supposed to happen " screen, and plans are in the works for an "It sucks to be you " screen. :p

LOL. MS still trying to polish the proverbial spaghetti with windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus sabertooth z77
    Memory
    16gb Corsair vengance
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 680
    Antivirus
    NIS 2013
Now that we are getting accustomed to using it without the start button, MS says they hear us talking and are therefore returning it? Speaking for myself, I'm used to not having it so it's no big deal for me one way or the other. I'm happy without it. But I suppose there are a lot of users who don't feel the same.

I don't use any Windows 8 machine without putting back a third party classic start menu. Just got my kids a new laptop for Christmas and ordered my $3.99 copy of Start8 from Stardock last night for it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

LOL. MS still trying to polish the proverbial spaghetti with windows 8.

I actually like 8 since the 8.1 update fixed what I didn't like about the Modern UI. I think I'm one of the few though. Still I do find that "Something Happened" screen a bit comical.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
So just curious, which fix(es) did you like? I want to make I'm not missing any of the good new stuff:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7, 8.1, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP tx2z
    CPU
    AMD Turion x2 Ultra 2.4
    Motherboard
    Quanta
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 3200
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 256gb ssd
So just curious, which fix(es) did you like? I want to make I'm not missing any of the good new stuff:)

In Windows 8.0 I could only open Metro on one screen at a time. And Metro snap wouldn't work on my two 1280x1024 LCD's. That meant to use snap I had to run metro on my main 1920x1080 center monitor. Now in 8.1 I can open Metro Apps on more than one monitor at a time, all three if I want. I can now snap 2 metro apps each on my 1280x1024 LCD's, and 3 on my 1920x1080 LCD. I often run Slacker radio and the Weather app on one monitor, and the Netflix App on my main monitor. Outlook will be running on my other monitor.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Anything new for us poor people who have only 1 monitor ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Anything new for us poor people who have only 1 monitor ??
Depends on what size I guess. Microsoft lowered the minimum size/resolution for Metro Snap. In 8 I couldn't use snap on my non wide screen 1280x1024 LCD's. Now I can. If you don't use Metro the 8.1 update probably doesn't offer you much. The Boot to desktop option is nice.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Understand. No problem regarding the monitor - mine is 22". So bottom line is that Windows 8 or 8.1 does not offer much over Windows 7 for the desktop user. Right?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Boot time... :) Depends on machine and hardware I guess.

Without hybrid boot on, is not really an improvement. This is what a few boots in practice show. Win7 is simpler and is faster if I get my old laptop to boot it up on HDD... about 45 seconds.

Win8.1 install has newer hardware to it but the boot is slower on hdd; startup items removed but nVidia uses custom appinit dll method which I don't have on older laptop... try to remove all weird statup items to test it out.

But on Win8 I use hybrid boot to start it up faster. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset