Windows 8.1 Update 2 Confirmed

Microsoft has already rolled out Windows 8.1 Update, but the company is now working on a second pack of improvements that could be released sometime this year and brings several improvements to the modern platform.

According to new details that reached the web this morning, Microsoft is already working on Windows 8.1 Update 2, which is another sign that this OS version is very likely to hit the shelves in just a few months.

Microsoft has already confirmed at the BUILD 2014 developer conference that it's working on a second update for Windows 8.1, but only a few details have actually been confirmed.

Windows 8.1 Update 2 will come with a new Start menu that would try to make the modern operating system a bit more familiar and thus bring back the full functionality of the desktop available in all Windows versions before Windows 8.
More

I am sure whatever start menu windows rolls out won't be as good as classic shell so i will stick with that

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    Memory
    12GB
Would it be better if there were separate editions of Windows that catered to the different audiences, like a tablet version where the desktop fades away, a hybrid version with both the desktop and Metro/Store so that people can use both, and an Enterprise/Pro version where the primary focus is desktop productivity?

That would be a huge mess. The average user will look at the store shelf and be like "WTF?" lol It's simple for them to implement. All of these options should be given to the user at the Windows Setup screen when they finish installing Windows on their computer. Windows should automatically detect if the computer is a desktop, a non touch screen laptop, a hybrid or a tablet and configure the appropriate settings. Or give the consumer a custom option as well that they can change at anytime through Control Panel. Why is this not implemented, I don't know lol.

Fair enough, the point being that the user should have the option to choose and/or make Windows the way they want it, whether that's done at the time of purchase or through setup, configuration, etc. And I'm guessing that the RT version of Windows without desktop wouldn't even be something that you could buy in a box on the shelf, it's just something that would come with the tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built/assembled myself
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X Windforce
    Sound Card
    On-board audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0 TB SATA-3
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Internet Speed
    22 Mbps
    Browser
    IE/Chrome/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, Malwarebytes
Would it be better if there were separate editions of Windows that catered to the different audiences, like a tablet version where the desktop fades away, a hybrid version with both the desktop and Metro/Store so that people can use both, and an Enterprise/Pro version where the primary focus is desktop productivity?

That would be a huge mess. The average user will look at the store shelf and be like "WTF?" lol It's simple for them to implement. All of these options should be given to the user at the Windows Setup screen when they finish installing Windows on their computer. Windows should automatically detect if the computer is a desktop, a non touch screen laptop, a hybrid or a tablet and configure the appropriate settings. Or give the consumer a custom option as well that they can change at anytime through Control Panel. Why is this not implemented, I don't know lol.

Fair enough, the point being that the user should have the option to choose and/or make Windows the way they want it, whether that's done at the time of purchase or through setup, configuration, etc. And I'm guessing that the RT version of Windows without desktop wouldn't even be something that you could buy in a box on the shelf, it's just something that would come with the tablet.

It makes sense if this is implemented when they release Windows 8.2. Windows RT only works for ARM devices so they should already come with a version of Windows. If there are updates to the OS, it should be done on the device itself. Currently Microsoft doesn't think of ARM tablet devices like an iPad. If they did, they could of made something like iTunes where you connect your Windows RT tablet and configure it from another Windows computer.

I am sure whatever start menu windows rolls out won't be as good as classic shell so i will stick with that

I'm using Start8 and I like it. Looks exactly like the Windows 7 start menu with a flat theme instead. I use the Windows 8 Start Screen like a dashboard. It shows me the weather, shows me if there are new email messages. So I hold the start button for like 2 seconds and the start screen appears. Then I press the start button once and my desktop appears again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5 430M
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
They should just call this thing Windows 8.2 then 8.3..etc. Maybe there is no Windows 9 since Microsoft probably thinks Windows 8 is a major shift from traditional Windows. Similar to that of OS X. There is no OS 11 because there is no drastic shift from OS X.

The OS version only increments when the kernel version changes. 8.0 was 6.2 and 8.1 is 6.3. update 1 didn't affect the kernel version so the OS version stays at 8.1. If they change that now it will just add more confusion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
They should just call this thing Windows 8.2 then 8.3..etc. Maybe there is no Windows 9 since Microsoft probably thinks Windows 8 is a major shift from traditional Windows. Similar to that of OS X. There is no OS 11 because there is no drastic shift from OS X.

The OS version only increments when the kernel version changes. 8.0 was 6.2 and 8.1 is 6.3. update 1 didn't affect the kernel version so the OS version stays at 8.1. If they change that now it will just add more confusion.
There lies the difference between Upgrade and Update. 8.1 was Upgrade and it got updated after, so it has to stay 8.1 no matter how many and what updates do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

There lies the difference between Upgrade and Update. 8.1 was Upgrade and it got updated after, so it has to stay 8.1 no matter how many and what updates do.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Agree that CS is excellent++ (as are surely the other menu fixers), but will also be very interesting to see what MS comes up with.

Generally, am glad for these positive signals from MS (after finally -and forcefully- realizing the seriousness of what was going on, sacking some people + starting to turn the ship before it hit something big and heavy), am slowly gaining some hope in the future, seeing a road ahead with possibilities of choice\coexistence between the playmobile-os and the 'normal' pc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
SoftPedia as a news source and "Start Menu coming back" as the headline didn't tip you off? I doubt there is a better example of a fake story

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro/Server 2012 R2 Datacenter
    Self-assembled
    CPU
    Core i7-920 @ 3.4 GHz
    Memory
    12 GB DDR3
    Hard Drives
    SSD RAID 0
    Mouse
    Razer Naga 2012
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Antivirus
    virustotal.com

The average user is going to buy whatever operating system comes preloaded on the device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ENVY 700-074
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4430 @ 3.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    MS-7826 (Kaili)
    Memory
    12 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 740
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD68E2 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S27C230B
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    240 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 Series
    PSU
    stock
    Case
    stock
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech K520
    Mouse
    Logitech M310
    Browser
    Fire Fox
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security 7
Being able to resize the Window Metro Apps run in, like you can for desktop programs, works for me. I'm not sure I want the new Start Menu though. Hopefully that's something you can turn off if you want.

I would like to get a look at what MS is planning for the new start before I judge it. Right now I'm using ClassicShell for my start and it's serving me well. Hopefully MS can out do that.

ClassicShell is really good, but the need of other software to enable a consagrated feature annoys me.

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
I was okay with the start screen and tiles. For awhile. Then just for something to do I tried out the different start button apps. I finally wound up paying $3 bucks for StartIsBack, just personal preference and it looked best to me.

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 127

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 8100 XPS Studio
    CPU
    i7 Quad Core 2.93ghz
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTS240 1GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 24" HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Keyboard
    Dell Wireless
    Mouse
    Dell Wireless
    Internet Speed
    6/1
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender Total Security 2015
SoftPedia as a news source and "Start Menu coming back" as the headline didn't tip you off? I doubt there is a better example of a fake story

Hi there.

I'd trust Softpedia much more than ANYTHING at all coming from rubbish (but somehow well respected --goodness knows why) sources like GARTNER. Most of their predictions have turned out to be hopeless -- you'd get the same hit ratio by Random Guessing.

Start menu could by now be an irrelevance but what is BEYOND DOUBT is a need to continue with a DESKTOP friendly OS. Whether you add the other "Kiddy OS" phone interfaces too is a matter of choice for Ms - but as we've all seen - the death of the desktop (or Laptop) is grossly over exaggerated.

Incidentally to those "Store Lovers" -- if you have to totally re-install your OS - maybe on several computers how do you get your apps again from the store --do you have to do it separately for each machine --IT support will LOVE that if there's 100's of machines to be serviced !! and what happens if the apps you are using have been updated in the meanwhile and don't work or people don't like them as much as the previous version --that's a HUGE complaint on GOOGLE's Play store - apps updated sometimes don't work or people prefer the interface of the old one -- there's no "Versioning" mechanism to retrieve previous versions or mass download for offline / mass installs for corporate environments.

Seems a total mess for any seriously professional outfit. Not all computer users are gamers / individual hobbyists. (BTW not decrying any of these users either - they are just as much a valued part of "the community of users" as any other but their needs are generally very different to those using IT systems seriously in professional environments).

BTW the reference to the "Kiddy OS" has relevance -- have a look at my screenshot below. !!!! ("Back to the future or Groundhog Day").

I never actually liked the W7 type of menu -- occupies too much real estate -- preferred the XP small menu style --easy to do with custom toolbars -- and if you want you can also add METRO apps to your custom toolbar / pin to DESKTOP which is great for Multi monitors. I'm hoping that some Metro apps will eventually be useful -- stock tickers and the like so while there isn't much currently I'm sure they will improve.

Also show screenshot with Metro apps on custom toolbar. Look at my post (nr 10) in this thread which shows how to do it.
http://www.eightforums.com/general-...tive-layouts-start-bar-too-many-programs.html.

You don't need any reg fixes etc. The trick is to find the actual program running name (not easy !!) and wrap it in an explorer shell: command. The post explains the details on how to do it. You can pin to desktop too.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• aol.png
    aol.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 117
  • metro4.png
    metro4.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Most of this information is already mostly confirmed. They slated Update 2 for between approx August and October.
Update 2 will have the replaced Start Menu, but others have confirmed that Floating Apps will not come till Win9 in 2015.

Of course all this information can change, but I doubt the Floating Apps will be in Update 2.

The Start Menu as pictured is what I hope we will be getting.
With that and the Start Screen, this will be pretty sweet.
Information at your Finger Tips.
Along with Insteon, being able to access your most important Live Info from the start button is a step in the right direction.

Interactive Tiles (which would essentially be full blown Gadgets) I hope will also be a part of Win9.

Keep in mind that all of this started in Vista as Ultimate Editions.
Unfortunately it got started in a bit of a under-managed mess, and was quite unsecured.
This is the results of starting over and bringing forth a much better managed oversight of the App (Gadgets) system.

Despite all the hoopla and over-exaggerated problems, Win8 is shaping up to be a damn solid OS.

I can say this, cause I have 2 Desktops, a Laptop and 2 Surface Pros all running Win8.1 Update 1 and current on all Updates.
None of my systems have a single problem with running anything I throw at them.

Incidentally to those "Store Lovers" -- if you have to totally re-install your OS - maybe on several computers how do you get your apps again from the store --do you have to do it separately for each machine
Sort of, but it's not difficult at all to do, and this will also the beauty of App Unification.
When you go into the store and look at the App History, you can install them from there
But let's say I installed 5 App on one PC, and 10 on a different one, I can see the history from all PC's
When I install an App on one PC and go to a different one and login with the same name
The Tile will show on the Start Screen with a small down arrow, click it and it automatically installs.

Seriously, install Win8 and actually use it for a while. It's a very solid OS and getting better.

This is the issue I have with people that want to down talk Win8 who have never actually used it,
or used it for such a short period of time they have no clue what they are actually talking about.

As for Versioning, I will grant that could be an issue
But if the app is that big, the developer better make sure they know what they are doing.
But that's an App Dev issue, not an OS issue. And you are not required to Run only Apps, unless you buy RT,
if that's the case, don't complain when you didn't spend the money for something with more options.
You get what you pay for.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Along with Insteon, being able to access your most important Live Info from the start button is a step in the right direction.

That sounds good !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
They better engage some serious companies to make Store Apps, floating or not doesn't matter until there's some really big stuff to use them on. Bunch of lousy games and smartphone like Apps are just not enough to get excited about.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
They better engage some serious companies to make Store Apps, floating or not doesn't matter until there's some really big stuff to use them on. Bunch of lousy games and smartphone like Apps are just not enough to get excited about.

True !

Some apps are really cool and I use them, but for my job involving GIS, CAD, simulations and geological modelling I'm gonna need the good old way for a long time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff

The average user is going to buy whatever operating system comes preloaded on the device.

:ditto: ++ If I was to ask one of the people I meet at our dog park what OS was on their PC, 9 out or 10 of them would just say "Windows". If then asked them what version their eye's would glaze over, or I'd get that deer in the head lights look. These are just your average non tech types that do Facebook and e-mail. All they know is its Windows. If they were to go and buy a new device they are more concerned with how much it costs etc than what version of Windows is on it. They don't know the difference anyway. Up until Windows 8.0 its all pretty much been the same for them, I click this to get this. They don't usually have their WTF moment until they get it home and turn it on for the first time. That's when I get the phone call, or the, you know about computers don't you, when I bump into them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

This site is like the tabloid of tech news. Mushy stories and high-end ads. Press on the author’s “Tweet” at the end to see what you get.

Bogdan Popa Snip.PNG

Really?!! Let’s get serious. And I dare not open this site on my phone for when I attempt to scroll with a touch screen something opens or pops up!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I was okay with the start screen and tiles. For awhile. Then just for something to do I tried out the different start button apps. I finally wound up paying $3 bucks for StartIsBack, just personal preference and it looked best to me.

I have tried them all and StartIsBack is the best of the bunch IMO. It is the only one of the 3rd party start menu apps that looks and functions like it is native to the operating system. All of the rest of them look and work like add on software. The colors don't quite match.......the text is slightly different.....extra features, etc. I have it on 3 machines and it is the best $8 I ever spent.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit and 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo and Dell
    CPU
    Intel i3
Most of this information is already mostly confirmed. They slated Update 2 for between approx August and October.
Update 2 will have the replaced Start Menu, but others have confirmed that Floating Apps will not come till Win9 in 2015.

Of course all this information can change, but I doubt the Floating Apps will be in Update 2.

Yes, it was confirmed at the last conference.

The Start Menu as pictured is what I hope we will be getting.
With that and the Start Screen, this will be pretty sweet.
Information at your Finger Tips.

Interactive Tiles (which would essentially be full blown Gadgets) I hope will also be a part of Win9.

Don't care for the idea of the Start Menu return and I hope it's off by default. I have all the info I need on the Start Screen. That's the whole idea of the new system > Instant personal info upon boot or wake.

Keep in mind that all of this started in Vista as Ultimate Editions.
Unfortunately it got started in a bit of a under-managed mess, and was quite unsecured.
This is the results of starting over and bringing forth a much better managed oversight of the App (Gadgets) system.

Lots of changes in MS management and restructering for sure. I think they're smooth sailing for the most part now.

Despite all the hoopla and over-exaggerated problems, Win8 is shaping up to be a damn solid OS.

I can say this, cause I have 2 Desktops, a Laptop and 2 Surface Pros all running Win8.1 Update 1 and current on all Updates.
None of my systems have a single problem with running anything I throw at them.

Yes, nothing more than the usual OS problems as in the past. The usual 80-90% problems with drivers. The other 10-20% of we users' fault.

Incidentally to those "Store Lovers" -- if you have to totally re-install your OS - maybe on several computers how do you get your apps again from the store --do you have to do it separately for each machine
Sort of, but it's not difficult at all to do, and this will also the beauty of App Unification.
When you go into the store and look at the App History, you can install them from there
But let's say I installed 5 App on one PC, and 10 on a different one, I can see the history from all PC's
When I install an App on one PC and go to a different one and login with the same name
The Tile will show on the Start Screen with a small down arrow, click it and it automatically installs.

Don't forget side loading custom-tailored apps to fit a particular business. This never get's mentioned enough. e.g. A restaraunt's touch screen cash register with menu and prices. They've even introduced pads with menus on them to order one's meal straight from the table. How about a custom app for signing in at a professional's office such as a doctor, dentist, lawyer, etc. A teacher with a pad giving a lesson to students that all have one. Tests as well. The possibilities are endless.

Seriously, install Win8 and actually use it for a while. It's a very solid OS and getting better.

This is the issue I have with people that want to down talk Win8 who have never actually used it,
or used it for such a short period of time they have no clue what they are actually talking about.

I'm with you 100% here, especially not using it long enough. It may be coincidence with timing, but hey... Click here on the latest.

As for Versioning, I will grant that could be an issue
But if the app is that big, the developer better make sure they know what they are doing.
But that's an App Dev issue, not an OS issue. And you are not required to Run only Apps, unless you buy RT,
if that's the case, don't complain when you didn't spend the money for something with more options.
You get what you pay for.

The big hurdle will be to get companies and devs to write everything in the Modern/Metro. As soon as MS gets finished writing Office in it I think the Desktop app will not be included in 9. It will be an all walled-garden OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling