Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu

Windows 8 users hoping for a return of the traditional Start button and Start menu in Windows 8.1 may be disappointed.

Rumors have floated recently that Microsoft may revive the familiar Start button in the Windows 8.1 update scheduled for release later this year. A new report today from The Verge claims that "sources familiar with Microsoft's plans" have confirmed the return of the Start button.

But... Yes, there always seems to be a but....

Read more at source:
Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu | Microsoft - CNET News

Good question and statement. I'll try to explain why I think they did it following a few statements. MS is seeking to make profit by creating and selling good products and services. Keep in mind that I think MS's first and foremost goal is to get an OS that performs across multiple devices in conjunction with Windows Phone 8. This, I think, is one better than any of the competition is doing. This is where I think they will eventually win out. All devices syncing no matter which device one uses. Cloud-centricity via an account. That's the market today.

Great post HippsiGypsie

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
Thanks, sygnus21. I'm glad someone else gets it. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Cloud-centricity via an account. That's the market today.

What you mean is that the corporate big wigs WANT that to be the market, damn the customers wants and needs. LOL

There is something about trying to lead customers by the nose that often times back fires grandly, even on folks that are sheeple. ;)

The cloud at first appears to be a great idea until you realize all the pitfalls that come along with it from the benign to the malignant, like hacking cloud servers, and data bases.

Those with intelligence and discernment view "The Cloud" with the suspicion it deserves.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
And sending everything to 'the cloud' isn't corporate friendly and has no place in the work place.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
Hi there
"Horses for Courses". This whole thing is not an EITHER the CLOUD or OTHER. I mean some services like dropbox are very convenient for file sharing etc. People also store (IMO far too much) data already on sites like "Farcebook" etc and companies seem to be encouraging employees and temporary contract staff to put all sorts of details on to company wide accessible data via a "local cloud".

Now PUBLIC stuff that I'm happy to share with other people --I have absolutely no problem with storing on line but PRIVATE data is PRIVATE and it's staying LOCAL on my computer and nowhere else.

If you look at the cloud in these terms then it's not so bad -- but of course there's no money in it so that's why there's this big push -- and then bingo you will be SWAMPED by spam / commercials.

I have 3 separate email accounts that I use when buying anything from Amazon -- OK the deals are good but the amount of JUNK emails you get after making a purchase are just HORRENDOUS - so I just delete EVERYTHING from those accounts without even bothering to open them.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Cloud-centricity via an account. That's the market today.

What you mean is that the corporate big wigs WANT that to be the market, damn the customers wants and needs. LOL

There is something about trying to lead customers by the nose that often times back fires grandly, even on folks that are sheeple. ;)

The cloud at first appears to be a great idea until you realize all the pitfalls that come along with it from the benign to the malignant, like hacking cloud servers, and data bases.

Those with intelligence and discernment view "The Cloud" with the suspicion it deserves.

And sending everything to 'the cloud' isn't corporate friendly and has no place in the work place.

Hmm.... I remember people saying the same thing about online banking and shopping. How'd that turn out today?

Let me help with that answer.... Online shopping and banking has exploded into an everyday common occurrence. Sure there are those who still don't use those services, but they are in an ever decreasing minority.

While cloud computing is the next tech to try and garner peoples trust, it's (cloud computing) not going away. Like other online services, it'll eventually catch on... just like Facebook. Think about that one ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
I have 3 separate email accounts that I use when buying anything from Amazon -- OK the deals are good but the amount of JUNK emails you get after making a purchase are just HORRENDOUS - so I just delete EVERYTHING from those accounts without even bothering to open them.

You do know you can opt of those (Amazon) advertisements right?

The "only" advertisements I get from Amazon are through my Student Prime account (Amazon Student), which unfortunately is part of the reduced price for the service. In short, if you choose to take advantage of Amazon's Student account, you also agree to advertisements from that service. BS, but for the reduced price vs. services I receive... my delete button works just fine.

BTW the Student Prime accounts gets you free services like movies on demand; but for me, it's the free 2 day shipping, or the reduced 1-day shipping price that I use.... a lot :D

Anyway outside of that service, you can opt out of the advertisements.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
Haven't found a search yet asking about this but I found the perfect thread here to ask.

Does anyone know how or even if it's possible, to actually edit/change/customize the quick access right-click Start button list?
I would love to remove some unneeded/unused entries, rearrange the order of entries, and add some custom entries to the list with like direct CLSID/GUID key locations.

It's obviously stored somewhere right, so lets start customizing that "official" quick access Start button list how we want right?
All I could do is provide this genius idea first lol, I hope someone with the smarts could now make it happen heh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro w/ Media Center x64
people are used to the start button and denying the latest being offered .. but once it will come into practice, there will be none complaining about

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    e4166
    CPU
    core 2 duel
    Motherboard
    i3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dell
    Browser
    compe
    Antivirus
    kpersky
Haven't found a search yet asking about this but I found the perfect thread here to ask.

Does anyone know how or even if it's possible, to actually edit/change/customize the quick access right-click Start button list?
I would love to remove some unneeded/unused entries, rearrange the order of entries, and add some custom entries to the list with like direct CLSID/GUID key locations.

It's obviously stored somewhere right, so lets start customizing that "official" quick access Start button list how we want right?
All I could do is provide this genius idea first lol, I hope someone with the smarts could now make it happen heh.

Welcome to Windows EightForums, randomjester.

That's a good question, but OMG you opened up Pandora's Box again! :D

Buttons are round, so I suggest we start calling at the Start Flag. ;)

I would imagine it would have to be a registry hack. I'm not that technically advanced to know. I'm quite sure someone will come along that does.

Again, welcome.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Hey HippsieGypsie, thanks for the welcome! :D Yeah, I hope it's easy to find for someone here who's like a coder.
I like your "Start Flag" name idea, a lot easier for people new to Windows 8 to understand.

EDIT:
Thanks for the reply my2cents! That has to be it, it is the Win+X view (never even knew about that key shortcut). I'll definitely check this out. Awesome freaking help man thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hey HippsieGypsie, thanks for the welcome! :D Yeah, I hope it's easy to find for someone here who's like a coder.
I like your "Start Flag" name idea, a lot easier for people new to Windows 8 to understand.

EDIT:
Thanks for the reply my2cents! That has to be it, it is the Win+X view (never even knew about that key shortcut). I'll definitely check this out. Awesome freaking help man thanks!

Great! Give it a shot. I have played with it and it appears to work nicely; however, I chose to use Chassic Shell instead. Their latest version 4.0 is awesome! Thay way, you can have the best of both worlds (eg, still use Win + X) and now modify it (with Win8Aero Win + X editor). What a great triple combination!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11

There's a Tutorial on how to do this here:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5607-power-user-tasks-menu-win-x-edit-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Great. Give it a shot. I have played with it and it appears to work nicely; however, I chose to use Chassic Shell instead. Their latest version 4.0 is awesome! Thay way, you can have the best of both worlds (eg, still use Win + X) and now modify it (with Win8Aero Win + X editor). What a great triple combination!
That first program WinX Menu Editor did exactly what I was hoping to achieve. You are a freaking class act sir, thank you!
I'll definitely check out Classic Shell too now.

Awesome thanks DavidY! I guess the thing was I didn't know Win+X was the shortcut/name.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Glad it worked for you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
OK ...since i use the AWSOME classic shell .... can some one show me how to get rid of that SM "fake" start button ... in wds8.1 ?

Thanks .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    wds 8.1- x 64Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sony SVF14N13CXB
    CPU
    Intel i5-4200U@1.60GHZ
    Memory
    8 GB x 64 Bit
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Screen Resolution
    1900x1080
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Antivirus
    WDS Defender and MalwareByte Pro.

Which FAKE button are you referring to? There is an option to replace (or not replace) the Start button/flag right on the Start Menu Stye Page. Now, wasn't that SIMPLE?

You are quite welcome.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling