Solved Windows 8.1 Retail DVD UEFI install issues

I just got through doing a really clean install on my system using the Retail DVD as a source for the update. I am in the process of loading drivers on my system, such as the chipset and Intel ones. Whether this is necessary, not sure, but it does change some of the indications in Device Manger.

If Theog is reading this, my Winre.wim file was only 223 MB after the install, no need for a larger partition, System Imaging works.

Post 40.

http://www.eightforums.com/performa...-system-image-functionality-4.html#post300613

Four sizes for WinRe.wim.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
If you get a chance, you might get a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management and attach using the paperclip on the advanced replies.

Done.
(I realized I goofed using easy transfer and had to go back to my Windows 7 HD for a little while.:sarc:)

Attachments

• Disk Management.PNG
    Disk Management.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 177

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i5-3570k
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
    Memory
    12 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX AMD 6950 2GB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials
If you get a chance, you might get a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management and attach using the paperclip on the advanced replies.

Done.
(I realized I goofed using easy transfer and had to go back to my Windows 7 HD for a little while.:sarc:)

If you simply haven't had time to do this yet, then my apologies, but...

A word of hard-won advice...;) Chop those ~4TB partitions up into sensibly-sized chunks organized for your data & application types. Be a little tedious to get some kind of application/game-related read-write drive error and see the whole massive c:\ partition go down. Sure, "that's what backups are for," but just suppose you hadn't backed up in a while...? For instance, you shouldn't need more than ~150GB for your Windows partition + every 3d-card/sound-card driver/useful utility you can think of--and still have a comfy reserve left over for more of that stuff when you need it. You can back up a 150GB partition pretty darn fast, etc. Seems like seek and access times would go quicker in much smaller partitions, too (even up to 1TB partitions--which is where I draw the limit in my own system for partition size.)

Anyway...this attachment (I used Paint to add some slightly sloppy clarifying text) shows the two 8.1 installs--Legacy and the UEFI in the same system, both activated. When I boot to Legacy (or UEFI) it then becomes C:\, of course, but everything else, programs and data, are in the same volumes they are in when I boot to the UEFI boot partition--all that changes are the two boot partitions, back and forth, which makes things very easy in terms of program and data organization. Eventually, I'm phasing out the Legacy boot partition and will only be booting from the UEFI boot (of course!), and when that happens I'll have everything I need from Legacy boot and delete that partition and simply expand D:\ to fill the unallocated space (I suppose it would have been easier to put the Legacy Boot partition at the end of the drive instead of the front...ah, well...;))

After all these years, I'm still enjoying all of this configuration junk. I must be a nerd or something.

Attachments

• My UEFILegacy Disk Management (1).jpg
    My UEFILegacy Disk Management (1).jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 226

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.
Back